Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bricked Wii(?)- No "Press A" at Health and Safety

Posted by recon 
Bricked Wii(?)- No "Press A" at Health and Safety
July 12, 2009 11:00PM
Hiya. My Wii stopped working around... I dunno, six months ago? and after a while I stopped looking for solutions. Due to new releases coming out I decided to try to get it working again. The main problem is that at the usual Health and Safety screen, there is no 'Press A' prompt. The Wii remote connects fine, so it's probably not the bluetooth module. Thinking the firmware might be corrupted or something, I used a GC controller to boot it into the recovery mode (which indicated I have 3.3 USA) and popped in a rented copy of Animal Crossing, which I think has newer firmware and hoped it would update. The version number disappears, the blue slot light lights up, and the machine starts whirring. I left it overnight like this, and nothing happened, so I shut it off and turned it back on. Same problem- no Press A prompt.

My Wii has the Twilight Hack (although I'm not sure where my copy is) and the HBC installed, although I doubt either would be of use. The hardware is unmodded. As stated above, firmware 3.3 USA is installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Bricked Wii(?)- No "Press A" at Health and Safety
July 12, 2009 11:09PM
When you boot into recovery menu, is it still 3.3 that is installed? It sounds like you are bannerbricked, which means updating via recovery menu will do no good. You need to get rid of the channel. Twilight Hack will do you no good seeing as you're not on 3.2 and dont have starfall installed. Can you boot in maintence mode? If so, boot HBC and use AnyTitle Deleter to delete any custom channel you installed - btw, I assume you did install a custom channel? Otherwise, I have no idea what type of brick this is. But I assume it is a bannerbrick. And if what I said above doesnt work, I have no idea what will.
July 12, 2009 11:15PM
I thought bannerbrick too, but thought I would be able to get past the initial Health & Warning screen. Apparently not.

Unable to boot into maintenance mode because, well, pressing A does nothing, even without the prompt.

So, assuming for the moment it is a bannerbrick, it sounds like my only option left is to install a modchip of some sort and get a disc to autoboot to delete the offending channels.

(I think I may have installed a custom channel. This was so long ago I don't even remember.)
July 12, 2009 11:16PM
Yes, I believe that is the only solution besides sending it to Nintendo. I assume you dont have preloader installed? And the warranty is out?
July 12, 2009 11:19PM
No, I only got into homebrew once the warranty expired, seeing I was violating it anyway. And I don't think Preloader was out when I bricked it, so I can put the date of whatever happened back a bit more than six months ago.
July 12, 2009 11:23PM
preloader has been out more than six months, i'm pretty sure.

but anyway. you have two options : Pay a probably large fee to Nintendo to repair it or break the law and fit a modchip. (they are illegal). personally i would advise the former, because there's a chance you could screw up with the modchip and need the repair anyway, and it could become a bigger job and cost more, or you could not be able to fix it anyway, and its illegal to fit a modchip. but whatever you choose.
July 12, 2009 11:36PM
It is not illegal to use a modchip everywhere in the world.

Where do you live "recon"?
July 12, 2009 11:36PM
Installing modchips are illegal in the US now? I thought it was just pirating. *notes* Oh well, anyway Nintendo said it's $75 to repair, so I might as well do that.
July 13, 2009 12:23PM
I'm pretty sure modchips are illegal. They are here in the UK anyway.
July 13, 2009 06:12PM
No mention of bootmii or a pre-loader.

If enough bricked Wii' keep flooding into NOA with some signs of previous hacking they might start charging crazy fines. Anyway in this case your systems warranty had expired anyway.

Advice: Don't play mad scientist without first having brick protection especially when it comes to dwelving deeper & getting into those random custom channels/system menu themes. One never knows the true intregrity of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 06:17PM by LeftToSigh.
July 14, 2009 11:29PM
SifJar
I'm pretty sure modchips are illegal. They are here in the UK anyway.

What is illegal in the UK?
-Producing them?
-Selling them?
-Offering to install them?
-Owning them (privately)?
-Using them?
July 14, 2009 11:41PM
I'm not 100% sure what aspects are illegal, but I know purchasing and installing them is illegal. I read that in an article in a magazine about import gaming. Funny, it mentioned modchips which are illegal, and Freeloader, which no longer works on recent system menus, and a near impossible disc-swap for GC games, but didnt mention Gecko OS, the easiest, safest, legal method for loading imports on any system menu. And its not as if the magazine is against homebrew, it reported when homebrew was first run on Wii, and mentioned the odd DS and Wii homebrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login