Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Betwiin and boot1 problems

Posted by vola 
Betwiin and boot1 problems
August 15, 2009 10:38AM
Hi all,

I have a bricked wii with bootmii installed and a non-working backup, I can boot only hbc.
The wiimote is not synchronized and doesn't work within any homebrew app, only gc controller.
Many of homebrew apps doesn't support gc controllers so I can't do pratically nothing.

In the last days I see a new cool tool by bushing, betwiin, which can convert a backup from a working wii to another.

These are the steps I did:

- Open the working backup with and hex editor and pick the nand hmac and key at position 21000144h to 21000157 (hmac) and 21000158 to 21000167 (key)
- Write the key and hmac to the files in betwiin's input folder (all in hex mode)
- Strip the last 1024 bytes from working backup (is the bootmii footer with the keys and others) and copy to flash.bin in input folder.
- Extract the keys of the bricked wii from a new backup (the backup is of the bricked situation but the keys are good)
- Copy the keys to betwiin output folder.
- Run betwiin

At this point the process seems to go well, I see a long list of output "xxxxx done." and sometime a path. The process runs for 20 mins more or less.
Now I have the output flash.bin, I attach the 1024 bytes footer of the bricked wii to the end of the file and rename it to nand.bin.
Now the backup is ready (I think) for the restore with bootmii but here is the problem, bootmii tells me the boot1 version don't match and refuse to continue the restore.

Now I don't know how many version of boot1 there are, but I think only 2: the firt with the bug and the new one.

I tryed 2 different wiis as source (all with bootmii as boot2 installed) one with serial LEH199xxxx and one LEH134xxx the bricked wii is older LEH10xxxx.

So I really need an older wii to start from or I'm missing something?? I'm sure the keys are ok, I compared they with the xyzzy output and are the same. There's a way to check the boot1 version?? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Betwiin and boot1 problems
August 15, 2009 02:22PM
You will need to find what version your boot1 is by going into the bootmii credits button. Then you will need to find a friend with a wii with the same version as you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 02:23PM by TopGun96.
August 19, 2009 03:00PM
I checked the boot1 hash with the bootmiichecker and looks the same: 2cdd5aff .... etc

The bootmii credits also looks the same: boot1b boot2v2
August 19, 2009 08:08PM
thats is the same as mine.... boot1b boot2v2... anyway you need to find someone with that boot1 and boot2 to give you a nand image
August 19, 2009 09:11PM
erm...
August 22, 2009 11:41PM
If Metroid_maniac didn't send one, I have one you can use.
August 23, 2009 10:31PM
Thanks super_ness, if you can upload it somewere... note that i need a PAL backup :)

Anyway the problem is very strange, i re-check the versions of boot1 and boot2, and :

bricked wii has boot1b and boot2v2
the first backup I used has boot1b and boot2v3
the second backup has boot1b and boot2v2

The read me of the program says, boot1 must be the same and boot2 equal or newer... I really can't figure out where the problem is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 10:33PM by vola.
August 25, 2009 08:52PM
I tried another trick, since bootmii says me:

bootmii found in boot2, ok to proceed.
Warning: boot1 mismatch, not writing
sry, i haz fail: -1

and this is not true (I read other people on gbatemp with the same problem), I tried to replace the first 17k of the generated dump with the same part of a working backup (the backup is of the bricked situation and restores).

No luck also this trick... any other suggestion??
August 26, 2009 12:29AM
I can't help you, but... stay away from GBATemp, just...just don't bother with the place
August 26, 2009 02:14PM
Don't worry for gbatemp, I was just looking around for the problems and ideas to solve it :)
August 26, 2009 05:36PM
Last update: I successful unbricked the console !!!!

After comparing some dumps I definetly see that the range 0 -> E7A60 looks similar except some ECC data...
So I pick this data from the working briked dump ad replace to the generated dump and the restore was done!!!

Thanks bushing for your tool :D
July 23, 2010 02:42PM
hi vola can you please go into more detail i am new to this and having the exact same problem as you boot 1 mismatch what line or lines do i need to change in hex editor any help would be great as i am trying to sort this out for 2 days i went trough all making new nand with betwiin no problems useing same boot 1b boot 2v2 please help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login