Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mostly bricked Wii...can I get my saves?

Posted by strells 
Mostly bricked Wii...can I get my saves?
August 17, 2009 07:44PM
I think I know the bad answer based on my research here, but it probably won't hurt to ask anyway.

I have a launch day Wii that has worked perfectly for 3 years. I installed BootMii to boot2 but stupidly did not do a NAND backup. I went away for a week for work. When I came back, I could start the Wii with the remote, but I could not get to anything past BootMii. I had done nothing to cause this. I can only blame WiiConnect24, which I don't know if it is the cause, but I will never turn on again.

In BootMii, the info page lists the NAND FS (file system?) as unknown and at 3.3%. From my research, this seems to be the indication of a bricked Wii.

My question is this: is there any way whatsoever of reviving this thing, or, at a minimum, extracting saves which may or may not exist anymore? Also, what could possibly cause NAND flash to spontaneously be erased or corrupted like this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Mostly bricked Wii...can I get my saves?
August 17, 2009 07:46PM
Judging by the NAND FS usage (that appears to be recurrent) I don't think there are any saves on there...
August 17, 2009 08:06PM
Damn...how could this have happened?

Steve
August 17, 2009 08:19PM
Your NAND FS was formatted somehow, there's nothing useful accessible on your NAND FS anymore. You can re-install sysmenu with comex's NAND FS formatter, but you'll need Linux and the toolchain for compiling MINI/MINI apps as well, since there is no binary release by comex.(I currently use Ubuntu as a Live CD; no installing to HD required.) (If you prefer, you could ask someone for the .elf, it takes a long time to compile the toolchain.) No-one knows exactly why NAND FS gets corrupted, which causes Nintendo code to format NAND FS.(Perhaps a power failure happened when WC24/or anything was writing to NAND, I dunno...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 08:21PM by yellowstar.
August 19, 2009 08:01PM
Do you have a good source for doing this? I did a little Googling, but I couldn't find anything substantial about how to resurrect a Wii like this.

Steve
August 19, 2009 08:16PM
My Nand fs usage is 69.4% and yet when I run the backup nand to my bricked wii, nothing happen. Any1 have any idea?
August 19, 2009 08:26PM
terry92126
My Nand fs usage is 69.4% and yet when I run the backup nand to my bricked wii, nothing happen. Any1 have any idea?

Can you create your own thread? This one is mine. ;-)

Steve
August 19, 2009 09:01PM
Well <here> is a link to the compiled MINI version of comex's formatter I believe.

And make sure you follow the instructions in the readme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 09:05PM by MattMan.
August 20, 2009 09:28AM
One can extract saves from a nand dump, use segher's zestig program to dump the contents of the nand dump into a filesystem.

[git.infradead.org]
August 20, 2009 04:54PM
No, everything on NAND is gone.(On Wiis with 3.3% NAND FS usage. Except for empty root dirs and useless data under /sys) And, zestig only works with dumps without spare data, BackupMii dumps the spare data. Stripping of that data is needed.
October 08, 2009 09:40PM
What can WiiConnect24 do to your Wii? I installed Bootmii with the Hackmii installer a few weeks ago, but I haven't had any problems. At least, I don't think I have any.
October 13, 2009 08:50PM
rosstex
What can WiiConnect24 do to your Wii? I installed Bootmii with the Hackmii installer a few weeks ago, but I haven't had any problems. At least, I don't think I have any.
As in if WC24 can brick your Wii? There are rare 3.3% NAND FS usage(formatted NAND FS) bricks, but no-one knows for certain why those bricks happen.
October 14, 2009 01:36AM
I keep WC24 on all the time, haven't had a problem yet, but I do make regular backups (every 2 days)
October 14, 2009 06:26PM
cactusjack901
I keep WC24 on all the time, haven't had a problem yet, but I do make regular backups (every 2 days)
Entirely your choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 06:27PM by Arikado.
October 14, 2009 11:07PM
Arikado
cactusjack901
Entirely your choice.

I'm just saying that except for the potential overheating issues (my Wii doesn't get all that hot, so I don't worry about that), people freak out over WC24 for no real reason
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login