Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brick questions

Posted by DanielHueho 
Brick questions
November 07, 2008 09:57AM
I'm boobing around Wii stuff, and I got some few questions about bricking...
What's exactly is the Opera 404 brick?
And why this even exists, if you have to download Opera in the Shop Channel? Or the app is somewaht integrated into Wii Menu?
Re: Brick questions
November 07, 2008 02:51PM
404 is a HTTP response declaring that the page is missing from the server. So if this would be a file on your Wii's NAND, then you've lost some files off the NAND. If you're just browsing the internet, the webpage you went to has either moved or been removed.

I believe (but not 100% sure) that some of the Wii menus and possible the EULA are html files, which the webbrowser would access. So, for example, if the EULA content had been removed from your NAND, that might possibly (semi-)brick your Wii
November 08, 2008 01:01AM
System menu in wii and probably most of the channels incorporate stuff from an early build of opera, web browser... hence if you mess up your nand content, one way is through installing an incorrect region system menu, the system menu or that specific channel can't find the files compatible with the system configuration... it's just a bug in the wii system software actually... from day one, wii is not meant to be modded or homebrewed actually and you can see this behaviour only in modded systems or systems that hacked with homebrew...

you can face it,
with homebrew : with waninkoko's first downgrader release (modded or not modded)
and with just upgrading the system menu with out of region game on a modded console...
November 10, 2008 12:31AM
DanielHueho
I'm boobing around Wii stuff, and I got some few questions about bricking...
What's exactly is the Opera 404 brick?
And why this even exists, if you have to download Opera in the Shop Channel? Or the app is somewaht integrated into Wii Menu?

The Opera bricks are normally caused by Region issues--For some reason, they designed the System Menu to grab files based on the region the console is set to, even though the System Menu only comes bundled with the files for the one correct region.

Opera is used as a backend for a lot of the Wii Menu (The Setting Menu, etc.). You can actually extract the HTML out of it and view it on a normal browser.
November 10, 2008 04:14PM
Thanks for the answers, everybody!

tona
Opera is used as a backend for a lot of the Wii Menu (The Setting Menu, etc.). You can actually extract the HTML out of it and view it on a normal browser.

Hmm, I'm not a expert, but so that means a lot of code of the Wii Menu is actually based on Opera, right? At least the GUI...
November 10, 2008 09:02PM
Just the Settings stuff.
See here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2008 09:02PM by marcan.
November 10, 2008 10:10PM
And probably warning screen too, hence the opera brick...
November 11, 2008 03:22PM
WiiCrazy
And probably warning screen too, hence the opera brick...
Not exactly. You should only get the Opera Brick upon boot if your SYSCONF file has become corrupted or has gone missing--or has been flagged to be regenerated. The System Menu will then run a basic "Setup" procedure to recreate the SYSCONF file. This procedure uses the Opera Backend as well.
December 02, 2008 09:19PM

Just the Settings stuff.See here
Um, I get a message saying that I shouldn't be there.
December 03, 2008 03:20PM
Muzer

Just the Settings stuff.See here
Um, I get a message saying that I shouldn't be there.
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

It was just the html from the Wii Settings menu. It's probably been moved or removed.
December 06, 2008 11:15PM
why has it been removed?
December 07, 2008 09:14PM
strongfan
why has it been removed?
Why does it matter? It wasn't really necessary or all that pertinent to this topic.
December 09, 2008 06:07PM
This topic shouldn't be alive anymore. DIE, TOPIC, DIE!
Just kidding :P

OK... I have two more questions:
1. Is the health warning screen a HTML file?
2. If the answer for the previous question is "yes", is there any way to "tweak" the SYSCONF, to trick the System Menu into grabbing a different "health warning" screen? Absolutely pointless, but well, just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 06:28PM by DanielHueho.
December 15, 2008 03:48AM
No, it's a JPEG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login