Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii freezing on Health & Safety screen

Posted by Skellums 
Wii freezing on Health & Safety screen
November 17, 2009 04:38PM
I don't know if this is any kind of brick I can fix or not but hopefully somebody can help out.

My brother's Wii starting acting funny shortly after installing system menu 4.0 (he did the update back in June). Sometimes on boot it would hang at the health warning and "Press A to continue" would not come up. Other times he could boot it to the system menu without issue. Now no matter what we try, it will not get past the health screen, "Press A" never comes up.

Of course, he only had the Homebrew Channel installed but had not installed BootMii or Preloader, so I don't know if there is anything that can be done. "SaveMiiFrii" works in that I get the system menu version on the screen (4.0U).

My friend had an autoboot Drivekey that he wasn't using as he fully bricked his Wii and it's off to Nintendo, so he loaned it to me to try to fix it. I've tried making multiple autoboot discs with either AnyRegion Changer or BootMii, but no matter what disc I use I always get "An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii operations Manual for help troubleshooting.", and when using the SaveMiiFrii route, the disc starts spinning up, then just stops.

Thinking it might be the drive, I took the drive out of my Wii and put it in my brother's Wii, but got the same message. I then thought it might be the drivekey so I stuck that in my Wii and the autoboot discs work fine with both my drive and my brothers drive.

The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the bluetooth/wifi modules out of my Wii with my brothers to see if one of them might be causing it. I have reseated both on his to no avail.

If I can get a disc with 4.1 on it (does New Super Mario Bros have 4.1?) should it be able to boot to the update partition? I'll have to try renting it to try it out but if anyone else has any other ideas it would be great!

Edit:
This is a launch day Wii as well. I've read different places telling me that New Super Mario Bros has 4.1 on it, but also updates boot2.. I'm kinda hoping to keep his original boot2 to install BootMii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 05:00PM by Skellums.
Re: Wii freezing on Health & Safety screen
November 17, 2009 06:00PM
You cannot boot a fakesigned disc after the update to 3.3 or higher; that is why none of your auto boot discs work. Installing the update from New Super Mario Bros should fix your wii. The boot2 update will not prevent the installation of Bootmii.
November 18, 2009 02:17AM
The boot2 update overwrites a BootMii installation, but it doesn't prevent BootMii from being re-installed after the update.
November 18, 2009 04:08AM
Well that's good to know then! Thanks, I'll have to grab a copy of NSMB!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login