Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black screen of death -- PLEASE HELP

Posted by klip 
Black screen of death -- PLEASE HELP
December 25, 2009 11:25PM
Hi,

My wii was working fine, but then I got a new game and i put it in and it asked me to update. So I did and then my wii went black.

When I turn on my wii I get the green light and it makes the disk noise. The TV does not do anything and stays on the "no signal" screen.

I had boot mii installed, but it does not seem to be working... i cant even get to the boot mii menu.

the wiimotes also will not connect

i was running 4.2 but i downgraded to 3.2 and it was working fine with 3.2 until now.

what can i do?

please help,

thanks
Re: Black screen of death -- PLEASE HELP
December 26, 2009 05:29AM
Are you entirely sure that your Wii is actually connected to the TV?
December 26, 2009 06:12AM
100% sure
December 26, 2009 09:14PM
So your Wii will turn on, but will not output any video? (i.e. a "No Signal" message)
If so, that is outside the scope of software problems.

If it shows a black screen, that means that your Wii was somehow bricked, and we can help you from there.
December 28, 2009 04:35AM
But it was working 100% fine, until right after the update
December 28, 2009 11:36PM
The 4.2 update stubbed IOSs 50 and 60 (among others). The update from the game disc had either system menu 3.4 or 4.1, which require IOS 50 and IOS 60 respectively. However, since the version number of the stub IOSs is higher than that of the usable IOSs, the correct version of your system menu IOS was not installed by the disc update. This left your system menu trying to run on a stub IOS, which it can't do.

If you can't access Bootmii (either because you installed it as IOS and not as boot2 or because it was removed by the boot2 update) fixing your wii will be difficult and will require a hardware NAND programmer.
December 30, 2009 01:45AM
By NAND programmer you mean like Infectus right? but wouldn't you need a NAND dump to flash it properly or is it optional?
December 30, 2009 04:50AM
Suryoyo
By NAND programmer you mean like Infectus right?

Yes

Suryoyo
but wouldn't you need a NAND dump to flash it properly or is it optional?

A working NAND dump from the bricked wii would make things easier, but it is not absolutely necessary. If the boot2 blocks from another wii that has Bootmii installed are flashed to the bricked wii, Bootmii will run and can dump the keys from the bricked wii. With these keys, Betwiin can be used to convert a NAND dump from another wii to work on the bricked wii. Finally, flashing this NAND dump will fix the brick.
December 30, 2009 12:43PM
jbc007
A working NAND dump from the bricked wii would make things easier, but it is not absolutely necessary. If the boot2 blocks from another wii that has Bootmii installed are flashed to the bricked wii, Bootmii will run and can dump the keys from the bricked wii. With these keys, Betwiin can be used to convert a NAND dump from another wii to work on the bricked wii. Finally, flashing this NAND dump will fix the brick.

I also have this type of brick and I don't have a NAND dump nor an Infectus but I could get both of them very easly.
Correct me if I'm wrong, all that I need is any NAND dump(my friend's dump will work right?), Betwiin and a NAND programmer(Infectus)?

So basically to do this step to step,
1. Make sure that I have all mentioned above
2. Dump my friend's Wii(NAND)
3. flash the NAND using Infectus on my wii
4. get my keys and convert the NAND to work on mine
5. flash again with the converted NAND

It seems pretty simple, are you sure that this might work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 12:44PM by Suryoyo.
December 30, 2009 03:49PM
This will only work on a wii that is old enough to install Bootmii as boot2. Also, the boot1 versions from the doner wii and bricked wii must be the same, and the boot2 version from the doner wii must be the same or newer than that of the bricked wii. It will work if these conditions are met.
December 30, 2009 08:05PM
Um.. please could you explain how I can check if the mentioned above matches? does it have anything to do with the system menu verson?

btw i just did a NAND backup on my friends Wii, does the bad blocks matter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 08:09PM by Suryoyo.
December 30, 2009 10:56PM
Suryoyo
Um.. please could you explain how I can check if the mentioned above matches?

You can check the ones on the doner wii in Bootmii. If you don't already know the boot2 version of the bricked wii, you will have to guess based on how old it is or if you updated it to 4.2. If you updated the bricked wii to 4.2, it has boot2 v4 (the latest version) otherwise it probably has v2 or v3 (wiis shiped with boot2 v4 are newer and can't accept a Bootmii installation as boot2, so I hope that this is not the case or else you won't be able fix it).

The boot1 versions should match, provided both wiis can accept a Bootmii as boot2 installation.

How old is the bricked wii? The new boot1 that prevents Bootmii from being installed was released sometime in late 2008.

Suryoyo
does it have anything to do with the system menu verson?

No, but if you did an official update to 4.2, you have boot2 v4.

Suryoyo
btw i just did a NAND backup on my friends Wii, does the bad blocks matter?

They should not be an issue.
December 31, 2009 12:52AM
jbc007
If you updated the bricked wii to 4.2, it has boot2 v4 (the latest version) otherwise it probably has v2 or v3 (wiis shiped with boot2 v4 are newer and can't accept a Bootmii installation as boot2, so I hope that this is not the case or else you won't be able fix it).

How old is the bricked wii? The new boot1 that prevents Bootmii from being installed was released sometime in late 2008.

I bought my wii on the very launch day and so did my friend. I used Waninkoko's Updater to install 4.2 so I it should be boot2 v4 however my friend's dump was from a 4.1 Wii!

Should I update my friend's wii and make another NAND dump on 4.2 or should the 4.1 NAND Dump work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 12:54AM by Suryoyo.
December 31, 2009 01:07AM
Only the official 4.2 update updates boot2; Wanky's updater does not. The NAND dump from your friend's wii on 4.1 should work.

By the way, "safe" updaters often actually brick wiis. You should stay away from them from now on.
December 31, 2009 12:49PM
Okay very well, I beleve that I owe you a big thanks. Now I'm going to order an Infectus and then after the process I'm reporting back to tell you how it went.

Is there anything else I need to check or pay attention to?
December 31, 2009 05:54PM
Suryoyo
Is there anything else I need to check or pay attention to?

Not that I can think of. It is always possible that something will go wrong, for example, if your wii has a bad block in the same place as a critical system menu block from your friend's wii, you may need to find another NAND dump. This, however, is unlikely, which is why I said that the bad blocks should not be an issue. Anyway, good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login