No output on Composite / RGB Pal Wii
January 21, 2010 09:37PM
I have a couple of wii's that only output Component signal. The composite signal is completely dead and the RGB gives out a distorted signal.
My cables are all fine as they display perfect images on other wiis. The fuses on the mainboard are also OK.
When using a simple volt meter on the output pins of the composite signal there is no voltage to measure. It reads 0V.
What can cause such an issue? A problem in the hollywood chip? Burned out something in it? Or could it be one of the BGA balls came loose?
I wonder if this is fixable as having one component only wii for messing around is ok but having now 3 is a bit too much...
Re: No output on Composite / RGB Pal Wii
January 21, 2010 10:15PM
If it is a physical function you may have to send it to Nintendo. I could be wrong.
January 22, 2010 08:37AM
I got similar problem for a year, no more RGB (never tried component), only composite (even through the RGB cable)
I measured RGB switch signal and was 0V as well, composite sync is ok, did not test R,G,B signals
In your case, it seems it's the composite sync which is affected, it is used as synchronization signal by the TV in RGB mode

I tried opening the case and checking connections with no luck, it might me more internal to the video encoder (something went too hot and fried ?)

some infos if you are testing signals:
[gamesx.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 08:43AM by ekeeke.
January 22, 2010 03:14PM
Thanks for the link. It is useful to have the layout of the output connector.
I did some more testing on the composite signal and found out that even on a working wii I cannot measure any signal on this pin.
Pretty strange he? The RGB signals are giving me some voltages fluctuating from 200mV to 1.8V...

Does anyone know which chip creates the signal? Is it coming from broadway or some other chip?
January 22, 2010 03:29PM

I did some more testing on the composite signal and found out that even on a working wii I cannot measure any signal on this pin.

composite pin is typically carrying video / sync signal, voltage level is varying in time, you would need an oscilloscope to measure it more precisely

The RGB signals are giving me some voltages fluctuating from 200mV to 1.8V...
this means the video encoding chip is still outputting RGB but for whatever reasons the sync signal is missing somewhere on the line (hence why you see an image but distorded)

Does anyone know which chip creates the signal? Is it coming from broadway or some other chip?

I think it comes from the A/V encoder

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 03:31PM by ekeeke.
January 22, 2010 03:35PM
Thanks for the information. Would replacing the chip help? Have a couple of bricked wiis with boot1c / d that I can salvage for a proper encoder :)

Also I found out that the composite signal filters through the big capacitors behind the cpu. It is the second capacitor on the right side. If you have the SD slot in front of you.
Reading the signal before the capacitor on a working wii it gives me something like 528mV and on the other wii it reads 0V.
So defenitely something broken in the video encoder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 04:46PM by Erikie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login