Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GC discs not working, Wii discs run fine

Posted by labrat256 
GC discs not working, Wii discs run fine
April 11, 2010 03:30PM
Hello

I have got a PAL wii with System Menu 3.2 I got several years ago, and for the past year or so I've had a persistent problem. Whenever I try to play genuine gamecube games, I get the 'error, please read your gamecube manual' error, or something to that effect, shortly after I begin playing the game. This happens with all gamecube games, clean and brand new as well as scratched. They work on my dad's wii. Wii games always run perfectly first time. I installed the HBC with the twilight hack.

Sometimes a game will run for a while, but will always err in the end. The only game that seems to consistently run for any length of time is Zelda Collectors Ed., whereas Wind Waker and many other games won't even hint at running. However, when that runs, it normally runs for about half an hour ish. Then when I reboot my wii, it runs for maybe 5 mins, then less each time its rebooted. I can't seem to find a reason for this.

After some googling, I've read that either DVDx or some Starfall patches may cause problems with GC games, so I uninstalled both. Luigi's Mansion then ran for about an hour, leading me to (falsely) believe I've fixed the problem, but it soon brought up the error message and then ran for less each time it was rebooted, again. One difference was that instead of solely a gamecube error, it brought up a 'wii error' too, but this seems to only happen with that one game.

I've cleaned the lens with ethanol and a cotton bud, but this had no effect. I've cleaned all the discs again and again, to no avail. As the errors increase in frequency the longer I try to play them makes me think that the wii getting hot may be a factor, so I've cleaned all the vents and fans and keep feeling the wii for excessive heat, but it seems not to have affected it.

The fact that wii games work, and all appears to be clean and good makes me think its actually a software issue rather than hardware, so I came here to ask for help! Any ideas as to anything homebrew related which could cause such a problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 04:05PM by labrat256.
Re: GC discs not working, Wii discs run fine
April 11, 2010 04:19PM
Like you said, region free system menu patches can cause issues. If you have any others than those you already removed, such as Preloader or StartPatch patches, you should remove them. Then use DOP-Mii to install the latest version of BC and MIOS. Let me know how that works.
April 11, 2010 07:47PM
I've updated both the BC and MIOS, without any luck. It's still crashing just as it did. I've also removed everything else in terms of patches, none of which were region-free patches, but hey, try everything! I do have bootmii-boot2, which I've not removed but if there's any reason it may be that, I will.

Anything else it could be?

Additional info: GCBooter doesn't work either. When attempting with Luigi's Mansion(a title the wiki page says has no errors), all the 'press a to continue' dialogue comes up, but the game doesn't actually start. I have in the past had it's audio working, with a blank screen, but not anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 08:04PM by labrat256.
April 11, 2010 08:08PM
I highly doubt that Bootmii even could cause this issue, but I can't rule it out entirely, since boot2 is launched before launching a gamecube game. I don't believe anyone except Team Twiizers knows exactly how that works when Bootmii is installed, or, for the matter, why Bootmii doesn't break gamecube mode on wiis with newer versions of BC that don't have the trucha bug.

In any case, what is the exact error you receive with these games? Also, do they work on another wii or a gamecube (if you don't have access to another wii or gamecube to test them on, don't worry about it)? You could try reinstalling the system menu, which you can do with DOP-Mii or AnyRegion Changer. Make sure to install the system menu of the correct region. Also, if you use DOP-Mii, make sure to install the correct IOS for the system menu version you install before installing the system menu. This is not necessary with AnyRegion Changer, as it automatically installs all appropriate IOSes. It is best to keep Bootmii installed as boot2 when doing this, and make a NAND backup beforehand, if you haven't already.

If nothing else works, updating to 4.2 might. However, this shouldn't be necessary. If that doesn't work, it is probably some hardware problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 08:11PM by jbc007.
April 11, 2010 10:38PM
The exact error is:
“An error has occurred. Turn the power OFF
and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE(TM)
instruction booklet for further instructions.”

My dad also owns a wii, and the games I'm testing with worked fine the last time I went round.

As I'm sure you can understand I'm quite reluctant to upgrade to 4.2 unless I have to. What is upgrading likely to do to my wii with respect to solving the problem? Would reinstalling the system menu not have the same effect?

Also, if it is a hardware issue, do you have any speculation as to what could be the component involved?
April 11, 2010 11:07PM
I have no idea why your Wii is doing this, but I see no reason why you should be reluctant to update to 4.2
April 12, 2010 05:15AM
It overwrites boot2, removing bootmii, kicks off the version of DVDx I'm using, as well as closing several security holes I like to play with. Plus, theres the rebellious point of not giving ninty complete control of my console.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 05:36AM by labrat256.
April 12, 2010 06:04AM
labrat256
It overwrites boot2, removing bootmii,
...which you can re-install afterwards.
labrat256
kicks off the version of DVDx I'm using,
Update DVDX..
labrat256
as well as closing several security holes I like to play with.
There are no security holes that are closed by it.
labrat256
Plus, theres the rebellious point of not giving ninty complete control of my console.
They don't have complete control of anything..
April 12, 2010 07:19AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I too, enjoy playing with security holes that 4.2 was supposed to have shut down... II still play with said security holes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login