Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Semi-Bricked Wii - HBC apps/Mii Channel/ don't load(Resolved)

Posted by EternalYoshi 
Semi-Bricked Wii - HBC apps/Mii Channel/ don't load(Resolved)
April 17, 2010 08:15PM
I'm on System Menu 4.0(I used the 4.0 updater.)
The Homebrew Channel uses IOS61 v19.26

I have bootmii installed as boot2.

I made a dump of my Wii a week ago then used the Wad manager to install the updated IOS37 from the 4.2 update so that I can use Riivolution.
Everything was fine then
I allowed it to verify and it sucessfully created the dump.

Then I noticed after I installed it, GCsaver and Nugasa wasn't working, so I decided to run the backup.

I had the issue where the keys.bin and nand.bin were seperate so I hexed them together by fixing the space issue and pasting the keys.bin to the end of the nand.bin.

It said it backed up succesfully but I noticed a big problem after I ran the backup.

No apps(including AnyTitleDeleter, Wad Manager, AR loader, and even the Mii Channel) will load.
It only results in a Black screen.
I tried Bannerbomb, the twilight hack, and the hbc but no apps will load.
The disc channel(both Wii and Gamecube), save data, and most VC games work except for Brawl,
and the Homebrew Channel loads fine from bootmii and from the Menu.
The System menu seems fine. I navigated all menus with no freeze or foul-ups.
It starts up fine regardless of SD card.

I looked through the dump of the nand in ShowMiiWads
All of the not working things seem to have something in common: they use IOS31 and IOS33.

The apps were working before the restore but now they are not.

I'm on System Menu 4.0(I used the 4.0 updater last year, was originally on 3.3)
The Homebrew Channel uses IOS61 v19.26
and I still have a dump of the NAND.
Bootmii still works fine and can still use backups.

Can anyone help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 06:42AM by EternalYoshi.
Re: Semi-Bricked Wii - HBC apps/Mii Channel/ don't load
April 18, 2010 12:15AM
The main problem is that you used the 4.0 updater.

My suggestion, since you have bootmii as boot2, start the homebrew channel, start DOP-Mii, and update every IOS, and the system menu to their latest versions, and don't apply any patches, you can leave boot2 though. After you do that, I have one more simple instruction.

Come here when an update comes out, see what we say, and follow our instructions. I say this, simply because Wankynono's updaters are known to be a cause of bricks. They just... don't work well.... at all
April 18, 2010 12:44AM
That's kinda the problem. So far all of the apps I tried to load from the hbc lead to a black screen, even if I wait for the disc to stop.
I checked DOP-Mii, and it won't load either.

Edit: I have the nand dump and the updated IOSes thanks to NUSD.
Isn't there a way to modify the nand to have the updated IOSes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 01:01AM by EternalYoshi.
April 18, 2010 02:02AM
A system update should fix this.
April 19, 2010 08:44PM
I'm aware of that option but I am hesitant to update to 4.2 because my boot files aren't up to date since my Wii was purchased in December of 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 08:47PM by EternalYoshi.
April 19, 2010 09:40PM
as long as you can make sure your power won't go out during the update, you have nothing to fear
April 19, 2010 09:42PM
OK. That makes me feel better. I'll update when I can.

Edit: apparently I still have this problem.

I update sucessfully and I still have the problem and this time no bootmii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 02:43AM by EternalYoshi.
May 02, 2010 10:34PM
SIgh....

My connection crapped out during the update I tried earlier.

Halfway when it was done(after the boot files were updated), the update stopped and gave me an error code that when I look it up, it says that their WFC servers were down for maitenence.

I tried again shortly after and got the same problem again.

I tried again the next day and it finished the update but I still have the problem of not being able to load Brawl, HBC apps, or the Mii channel.
May 03, 2010 04:30AM
First of all, reinstall Bootmii as boot2. If you have an issue with the installer, please post the log file.

It seems that your IOS versions are higher than those in the update (meaning you have cIOScrap, most likely), otherwise the update would have fixed it. Try launching DOP-Mii or a WAD installer with Bannerbomb and have it run on an IOS that does work (cIOS if you have it, otherwise try all IOSes until it works or they all fail). Install the latest versions of all IOSes without patches (if you have use for the patches, you can apply them later).

If that doesn't work, put an unpatched IOS 36 WAD in the wad folder on your SD card, and remove all other WADs from that folder. Launch Comex's NAND formatter (you must launch it from Bootmii), and it will install the WAD. After that, the Homebrew Channel should be able to launch applications, and you can reinstall all other IOSes with DOP-Mii, if necessary. It would be a good idea to make a NAND backup before doing this.
May 03, 2010 02:06PM
jbc007
First of all, reinstall Bootmii as boot2. If you have an issue with the installer, please post the log file.

It seems that your IOS versions are higher than those in the update (meaning you have cIOScrap, most likely), otherwise the update would have fixed it. Try launching DOP-Mii or a WAD installer with Bannerbomb and have it run on an IOS that does work (cIOS if you have it, otherwise try all IOSes until it works or they all fail). Install the latest versions of all IOSes without patches (if you have use for the patches, you can apply them later).

If that doesn't work, put an unpatched IOS 36 WAD in the wad folder on your SD card, and remove all other WADs from that folder. Launch Comex's NAND formatter (you must launch it from Bootmii), and it will install the WAD. After that, the Homebrew Channel should be able to launch applications, and you can reinstall all other IOSes with DOP-Mii, if necessary. It would be a good idea to make a NAND backup before doing this.

Uh, doesnt the NAND formatter delete everything off NAND first, then install the WAD? In which case, that is NOT the way to go IMO.
May 03, 2010 04:08PM
Sometimes. I believe that this version of the NAND formatter only installs WADs, but other versions of it also format. Still, I recommend making a NAND backup before doing this, in case it really does format. As long as you do that, things won't get worse, but they could get better.
May 04, 2010 02:24AM
Use bannerbomb v2, and dop-mii v12 with ios250- reinstall ios36-v3351
May 05, 2010 06:10AM
I somehow got DOP-MII Working via bannerbomb!!!!!

now to fix this issue...

What to do next?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 06:15AM by EternalYoshi.
May 05, 2010 06:32AM
Load dop-mii
Select ios250, press A
Install ios36-3351, I like it patched- others don't, you choose

If your online, install from NUS
If your offline install from SD
use NUS downloader to get ios36-64-v3351.wad
Put the wad in sd:\wad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 06:33AM by mauifrog.
May 05, 2010 06:38AM
Brawl is working now!
That's a good sign.

Mii Channel is fully operational.

The HBC can load apps now, so thank you all repliers for helping me solve this problem...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 06:42AM by EternalYoshi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login