Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please help me

Posted by solidsnake120 
Please help me
May 24, 2010 03:51AM
Alright, so im getting the black screen of deathscreen of death. I tried a nandnand restore via my boot2 bootmiibootmii, still black screen. i have heard that restoring the system menusystem menu and ios could help, but for some reason, it wont let me into the homebrew channel from bootmii, i just get a black screen again. Is there any help for my poor old launch wii?
Re: Please help me
May 24, 2010 04:59AM
May 24, 2010 05:10AM
So what do i do with that exactly?? im not familiar with betwiin
May 24, 2010 03:36PM
He's recommending you use betwiin to convert another person's NAND dump to work with your Wii, allowing you to restore it and hopefully fix your Wii.

Your other option is Comex's NAND formatter. This will install WADs, such as System Menu and IOS. The benefit of this method is you don't need to get a NAND dump from someone else.

Note that in both options you will likely lose any installed channels and any save game data. However, you may be able to extract these from your NAND dump and install them once you have your wii working again.
May 24, 2010 04:01PM
im assuming installed channels would also include homebrew channel and everything like that. how would i do these methods? i wont lose my ability for homebrew will i?
May 24, 2010 06:55PM
solidsnake120
im assuming installed channels would also include homebrew channel and everything like that. how would i do these methods? i wont lose my ability for homebrew will i?

Yeah all channels, VC, WW, HBC and any custom channels.

For betwiin method, you need to find someone with the same boot1 and boot2 versions as you, and get them to send you there BootMii NAND dump (it should be noted I feel that AFAIK, this is actually illegal). Then use betwiin and your NAND dump's keys.bin to convert the dump to your wii and restore the NAND dump. Then I'd advise format the Wii to get rid of the stuff they've put on, saves etc. and I think get a new Friend Code.

For Comex's NAND Formatter, you need to download WADs of, at least, System Menu, System Menu IOS and EULA. (I'd advise getting 4.2, IOS70 and the EULA channel), and put them in the correct location on your SD card. Then run the app. It will format your NAND (i.e. get rid of EVERYTHING on it, except boot1 and boot2) then install the WADs. This should allow you to boot the System Menu, but games and channels won't work (not that there would be any channels, but anyway). Then update the Wii via the option in the System Menu.

After either method, run HackMii Installer via bannerbomb, Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack to reinstall HBC.
May 24, 2010 07:32PM
so it sounds like the Comex is the way im going to go. I installed bootmii to boot2, so it sounds like im not going to lose that. Would it be better to simply get a lower firmware, like 3.2 or something thats more open to the homebrew, or go straight to 4.2? i originally used the twilight princess hacked save to get it first installed so im not super familiar with how bannerbomb and what not are done. I want to thank you for all your help so far SirJaf though, and appreciate greatly anymore you give :)
May 24, 2010 08:23PM
solidsnake120
so it sounds like the Comex is the way im going to go. I installed bootmii to boot2, so it sounds like im not going to lose that. Would it be better to simply get a lower firmware, like 3.2 or something thats more open to the homebrew, or go straight to 4.2? i originally used the twilight princess hacked save to get it first installed so im not super familiar with how bannerbomb and what not are done. I want to thank you for all your help so far SirJaf though, and appreciate greatly anymore you give :)

SifJar ;)

Anyway, it would be better to go to 4.2. There is actually no benefit (or indeed difference) to being on 3.2. Its the IOS that are important. You may as well have the latest System Menu, so you're not bugged to update. My advice would be use NUSD to download System Menu 4.2 for your region, IOS70 and the latest version of the EULA channel. I'll try and find a link to a compiled version of the NAND Formatter for you, as officially you have to compile it yourself, which requires you to setup a specific toolchain JUST for this task, and I think you need Linux for the toolchain. Anyway, once you've run NAND Formatter, its simply a case of running the update and then getting the latest HackMii installer from here: [www.bootmii.org] and bannerbomb v2 from here: [bannerbomb.qoid.us] and follow the instructions here: [wiibrew.org]

If you want to ab able to do everything you could do on a 3.2 system, run Trucha Bug Restorer or DOP-Mii, both available on the WiiBrew wiki, which will allow you to patch the Trucha bug back into IOS36, which allows some more "advanced" stuff.
May 24, 2010 09:02PM
if theres no diffrence then ill just go with the 4.2. i shouldnt have to big of issue finding the 4.2 NTSC system file. thatd be awesome if you could find a link to the compiled version. You guys seem really nice, and very quick on this site. I posted my conundrum on a few of my other sites and nothing. You especially are a rare site, a friendly and helpful person SIFJar :D
May 24, 2010 09:20PM
If you use NUSD (the legal way to get system files), you don't need to "find" the file, you just select it and it'll download them. Get NUSD here: [wiibrew.org]

I'll try and find that compiled NAND Formatter link now, I got distracted :D

This seems to be it here: [filetrip.net] - I assume the readme is in there, but just in case it isn't and you're confused as to what to do: [github.com]

Looks like you'll also need rgnsel channel, IOS17 and IOS31 to make everything work OK. Again, get all these with NUSD. Hope you get your Wii fixed, if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 09:30PM by SifJar.
May 25, 2010 03:13AM
which version of the ios should i do? latest?
also where or what is the rgnsel channel? where is it in NUSD?

OK i found the rgnsel channel, got the latest version of the US
found the EULA and got the latest version of the US. now what do i now in bootmii with those?
how do i go about reformating or what not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 03:26AM by solidsnake120.
May 25, 2010 07:08AM
so i got the formatter but its only installing the region wad, the system wad, and ios17. all of them are on my SD card tho.
May 25, 2010 12:03PM
hmm, what happens after that? does it give an error or anything? i've never used it myself, so i may not be able to offer much more help i'm afraid. there was a version without the formatting feature floating around, maybe you could try it to install the rest of the wads.
May 25, 2010 05:01PM
it installs the 3 wads, and the below the last one it just says Done. i dont get any further options to continue or restart. ive tried it twice and happens the same way both time. dont really know what to do. i dont think its reformatting anything, at least theres nothing that says it is or that its doing anything. Its a very bare bones black screen that says its installing the wads. not quite sure what to do at this point.
May 25, 2010 05:24PM
This build doesn't format, only installs WADs, writes settings.txt and writes SYSCONF. Try deleting those 3 WADs. Try deleting IOS70 from SD, and copying it back to SD.(And perhaps try using the "Safely remove device" option on Win32.)
Comex's formatter attempts to boot sysmenu via boot2 after it displays "Done".(If it still doesn't install the WADs, verify that the WADs exist with the correct file size.)
May 25, 2010 05:59PM
the comex nand formatter contained a rar with only a bootmii folder and an elf file. is this right or should there be more? is there a build that does format?
May 25, 2010 08:29PM
The build I posted a link to should format. Dunno how fast the format is, maybe it did it without saying that it was doing it? Try downloading the build YellowStar posted to, deleting the WADs that did install, and running the build YellowStar posted. It should then (hopefully) install the rest of the WADs without formatting and removing the ones already installed.
May 25, 2010 09:17PM
where do i place the formatter.elf? and when you say delete the ones that did instal, do you mean from the wad folder? or like from the system, which if thats the case, i dont know how to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 09:23PM by solidsnake120.
May 25, 2010 10:12PM
Yeah from the SD card. And I think you just put formatter.elf anywhere on your card and load it through the BootMii menu: is that not what you did before?
May 25, 2010 10:18PM
before with formatter pack you linked me too it just had a zip archieve with a bootmii folder in ppcboot.elf in it. and when i went to install the wads, bootmii didnt even start up, i just got a black screen with white text naming the wads it was installing.

so i just tried the formatter.elf that the other guy linked me too, and that one only installed the region.wad and then said done. and then when i turned it off and back on, now bootmii wont start...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 10:25PM by solidsnake120.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login