Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4.2 Wii will not read Wii games after update.

Posted by bowserevilking 
4.2 Wii will not read Wii games after update.
May 30, 2010 06:07PM
Alright, so my Wii used to be Japanese and chipped( I am not asking about the chip), and then I installed the Homebrew channel a long time ago and used AnyRegion Changer to make it English and 3.2. Then I tried playing a retail New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and that made it 4.1, even though NSMBW wouldn't work. Everything still worked fine. Then I tried a retail Super Mario Galaxy 2, and that made it 4.2 and Galaxy 2 didn't work either. Now it seems that my Wii will not play Wii games, and the ones that do give a 001 error. Gamecube games, for some reason, work perfectly fine, and the Wii is not Bricked or semi-Bricked. The Homebrew channel works fine, and I have BootMii. How can I play Wii games again?
Re: 4.2 Wii will not read Wii games after update.
June 05, 2010 10:28AM
1. which chip is it?
2. are you able to get rid of the chip, if so remove it.
June 05, 2010 01:55PM
Drag0nflamez
1. which chip is it?
2. are you able to get rid of the chip, if so remove it.
I don't know which chip it is, and I can't remove it, as I was not the one who chipped it (I bought it like that). Anyway, it worked fine until the update, which is why I am not asking for help with the chip, but with the update. After all, this isn't a chip support place.
June 05, 2010 04:57PM
This issue is odd, as the 001 error should not occur with a legitimate game disc. What happens when you run the game through Gecko OS?
June 05, 2010 07:19PM
When I run any game in Gecko os, it says:

Setting up drive..
Reading DVD stats..
And then just freezes there. I don't know if it just takes a really long time to load (in which case it wouldn't be worth it) or if it is really freezing, but when I hit Reset, it hangs on a black screen.
June 05, 2010 09:30PM
Use DOP-Mii to reinstall the latest version of every IOS. You can patch IOS 36 if you want, but do not patch any of the others. Also, do not install any stub IOSes. When you test whether this worked, be sure to use the latest version of Gecko OS if you aren't already.
June 05, 2010 11:36PM
Okay, I used DOP-Mii is remove stubs and such, and when I tried Gecko os again, there were, for some reason, new options like rebooter and launch channel. I used 'load game' and, just once, my retail copy of Wario Land: Shake It worked fine. Then I tried another game, but it stopped on 'Reading DVD stats', and since then, the new options stayed, but every game I try, including Wario Land, just stops at 'Reading DVD stats' like before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 11:49PM by bowserevilking.
June 06, 2010 01:50AM
The rebooter and launch channel options appeared because you patched IOS 36. Similar problems have occurred before, but I am not aware of a specific solution. Do you have a NAND backup from before this problem started? If you do, restore it. Then update manually with DOP-Mii or with the option in the system settings.

If you don't have a NAND backup from before the issue started, I wouldn't mind looking at the problem myself, as I may be able to learn something from it. If you would like, you can make a NAND backup and send it to me along with the keys.bin file, and I will see what I can do. My wii has boot1b, so I will only be able to use your NAND dump if your wii also has boot1b (it probably does). You can check this in the Bootmii settings.
June 06, 2010 03:10PM
Sorry jbc007, my SD card reader is messing up, so right now I can't copy my NAND to my hard drive or send it to you. I do have a NAND backup from before, but I would really rather not use it and lose my saves. I think I'll wait for a way to fix my situation with the Wii games.
June 06, 2010 06:28PM
You can copy your game saves, so that will not be a problem. However, you will need to get a new SD card reader. If you haven't already, copy your old NAND backup to your computer so you don't lose it. Use Savegame Manager MOD to backup all of your saves. Then make a new NAND backup and move it to your computer (just in case something goes wrong). Finally, copy the old NAND backup back to the SD card and restore it. Then use Savegame Manager MOD to copy the saves back to your wii. Be sure to test whether the games work before reupdating (use Gecko OS to test it if you can't launch the game through the disc channel without updating).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 06:31PM by jbc007.
June 20, 2010 03:35PM
Turns out, my Mom bought me a new Wii (it's one of the black ones) when she heard the old one was broken. So now I have two Wiis, one for homebrew, and the other for... everything else! Problem solved! At least for me.
January 10, 2011 01:40AM
Update: While my black Wii is in for repairs, I've found that at least two retail games work: The aforementioned Wario Land, and Rayman: Raving Rabbids. Every other game hangs at "reading dvd stats". So, just in case my other Wii never gets back, anyone know how those two are related?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login