Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I am being asked to reinstall an upgrade from a disc

Posted by keybounce 
I am being asked to reinstall an upgrade from a disc
June 21, 2010 07:39AM
I have homebrew browser and channel installed.

Previously I had installled a system upgrade from the Wii Fit plus disc (4.0, I think), and later from the Netflix disc (4.1). Then I installed 4.2 from the nintendo upgrade.

I then used Dop-Mii to install patched IOS's. I removed anything marked as a stub, and installed the latest non-stubs (and applied the patches to them). I left 60, 61, and 70 unchanged (most recent NUS non-stub, unchanged.)

Finally, I installed IOS 202 for WiiMc, and a copy of patched 70 as 249 (which sufficed for the save game manager).

I did not change any channels; I kept the 4.2 system menu.

Now, both the WiiFit plus disc, and the NetFlix disc, are asking me to upgrade again. Neither Mario Kart, nor Super Mario Galaxy (one of which which previously upgraded me to 3.4 (I think) ) is not asking for an upgrade.

As far as I can tell, I changed something that should not have been changed. I don't want to install a downgrade (for obvious reasons). What is triggering the "Reinstall system update from disc" message? What did I change that I should not change / what do I need to put back?

I'm trying to avoid a brick by downgrading. I know that removing the stubs should prevent the risk of bricking, but I'm trying to be extra careful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 07:40AM by keybounce.
Re: I am being asked to reinstall an upgrade from a disc
June 21, 2010 07:38PM
Wrong section, this is not a brick. In answer to your question, removing the stub IOSes (and patching things if you installed older versions of them) means you now have missing contents or contents with version numbers lower than Nintendo's latest versions. Therefore, the games want you to update.

If you want to update, go ahead. It will just reinstall the stubs and any other missing IOSes or IOSes with lower version numbers. Depending on the version numbers of your patched IOSes, they may be removed if you update.
June 22, 2010 01:33AM
jbc007
Wrong section, this is not a brick.

No, it's not.
Rules for this section
For this purpose, we have decided to open a "FixMii" Forum--Where users can seek help for their bricked, misconfigured, or otherwise less-than-fully-functional Wiis.

1. Please only make a topic if your Wii is Bricked or disabled in a homebrew-caused way.

Misconfigured? Check.
Homebrew-caused? Using Dop-Mii to make sure there are patched IOS's. Check.

In answer to your question, removing the stub IOSes (and patching things if you installed older versions of them) means you now have missing contents or contents with version numbers lower than Nintendo's latest versions. Therefore, the games want you to update.

If you want to update, go ahead.

Alright, then the basic two questions:
1. Since I'm on 4.2 right now, will installing an upgrade from a 4.1 disc cause "downgrade" problems?
2. How do I keep patched IOS's around for homebrew (some programs want an IOS #249), and NOT run into this issue?
June 22, 2010 04:00AM
1) No. Only contents with a higher version number than those already on your wii will be installed.

2) If the patched IOS has a higher version number than the stub, it will not be removed. Of course, you could simply not update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login