Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

system menu wont start, bootmii does but cant run hbc

Posted by slegion 
system menu wont start, bootmii does but cant run hbc
July 31, 2010 07:01AM
I actually need some help here, my wii got bricked without reason! u.u
i was trying to play metroid prime corruption but it didnt load properly, it became frozen on a black screen, my reaction was simple, keep presing the power button to shut down the wii... it worked as always (happens a lot on MplayerCE <.<)
The next thing was, turn on the wii again, but the system menu didnt boot at all, it holds on a black screen...
I have put my sd with bootmii and it runs normally, but cant access the homebrew channel... just load another black screen...
What's going on?
It's actually a full brick?

I dont have any NAND backup (couldnt do it because of the 512mb sd u.u), i was runing system menu 3.4 and i have bootmii as boot2 but i cannot access the hbc... is any way to reinstall it from bootmii? didnt find anything about that on the web...

what can i do to fix this problem?

Can i unbrick it without losing the saves of all my games making a NAND restore? (if theres anyway to do so)
Re: system menu wont start, bootmii does but cant run hbc
July 31, 2010 07:07AM
slegion
I dont have any NAND backup (couldnt do it because of the 512mb sd u.u), i was runing system menu 3.4 and i have bootmii as boot2 but i cannot access the hbc... is any way to reinstall it from bootmii? didnt find anything about that on the web...
Actually, now there is an installer you can run through BootMii [bootmii.org]
Just run "bootmini.elf" from BootMii's SD menu.
July 31, 2010 07:41AM
thanks for the answer
I just tried the bootmini and just loads a green screen u.u
maybe the NAND is so screwed...

any suggestions?
July 31, 2010 07:49AM
That seems to be a pretty common problem with the MINI version.. Not sure how to fix it, sorry.
July 31, 2010 03:35PM
What does Bootmii report for the system menu version and NAND FS usage?
July 31, 2010 04:43PM
jbc007
What does Bootmii report for the system menu version and NAND FS usage?

System menu: unknown boot1b boot2v2
NAND FS Usage: 3.3% ( i think everythig is dead, even my saves... right? u.u)

time to use to use Comex NAND formatter, maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2010 04:45PM by slegion.
July 31, 2010 07:23PM
Your NAND was formatted. Even if you had a NAND backup, Bootmii would be unable to restore it. Therefore, Comex's NAND formatter is your only option. Be sure to find a version of Comex's NAND formatter that actually formats the NAND (some only install WADs but do not format, which would not fix your wii).
July 31, 2010 08:53PM
OK, i was trying NAND Formatter for a couple of hours, trying diferent compilations, using diferent wads and system menus... but my wii is still dead...
It install the wads sometimes with success, but the wii hangs on a white screen showing this error:

"tried to access the adress marc: EU/EU/ENG/Setup/setup_index1.html"

try reloading the page, etc etc... opera help...

maybe is worth to mention that the video mode seems to change to PAL (the screen sakes a little)

if its a problem of wii's region i dont know whats going on... my wii is NTSC and im using the IOS & System Menu that NUS has marked as NTSC... this brick is so strange since the beginning -_-...

how can i know if the NAND Formatter is actually deleting everything? maybe it doesnt... I'll keep searching maybe im not so far awwy of the solution... n_n

any suggestions will be really really apreciated! thanks! n_n
July 31, 2010 09:15PM
The NAND formatter successfully formatted your NAND and installed the WADs. The opera error is a region issue. If you haven't done this already, put the region select v1, any system menu version (of course, making sure it is the same region as the region select), and the IOS for that system menu in your wad folder. Make sure that there are no other WADs in the wad folder, and run the formatter again.

If this does not work, you may need to manually fix an issue with your sysconf. If this is the case, I will provide further instructions.
July 31, 2010 09:33PM
Yay! Its ALIVEEEEEE!... lol

Well, it was NAND Formatter's problem, i found one compilation in this post Another brick problem (posted by jbc007, wow small world isnt it?) and it worked great...

I finally loaded system menu 3.1, doesnt have any of my vc channels (hope I can download them again, fingers crossed), doesnt have any of the stock channels except "disc channel" and all my saves went to the hell i think T-T
Anyways, the wii is working again and that's all matters...

Thanks jbc007 for all ur atention, and hope this solution helps somebody else...
July 31, 2010 11:06PM
Your saves and channels are gone for good I'm afraid.

Does anyone know why this thing happens? Or how to prevent it happening?

For getting stock channels: Download them with NUSD and use a game exploit to install HBC and use WadImport to install stock channels. The ones you can't get from NUSD you can get from Shop Channel once you install it.
August 01, 2010 01:37AM
The version of Comex's NAND formatter that I linked to in that other topic does not actually format the NAND, AFAIK; otherwise I would have given you the link in the first place. It does, however, properly install WADs (usually). It must have worked because when you ran it, the NAND was already properly formatted by the other compilation of the formatter.

Although your wii now boots to the system menu, all non-critical system components are still missing. The easiest way to reinstall these is by performing a system update. I recommend you update with a game disc instead of the online update, as no games have 4.3 yet. Be sure to use a game released in 2008 or later, as earlier games do not have IOS 36 and some other important IOSes. Reinstall the Homebrew Channel after updating. Finally, use WiiSCU to update the shop channel.

As for why this happens, I have no idea. It is very rare; in fact, this is the first report I have seen of this issue in almost a year. As far as I can tell, under certain rare circumstances (a bug in IOS or some sort of NAND corruption, I would guess), IOS formats the NAND. If it is a but in IOS, it may have been fixed in newer IOS revisions (somehow I doubt that this is the case). Otherwise, if it was done because of NAND corruption, perhaps IOS would attempt to restore things, but it either failed or you powered off the wii before it finished. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.
August 11, 2010 01:47AM
The latest upgrade that isn't there just to block homebrew is 4.1, so start with a 4.1 scratch NAND, sign it so that bootmii think's it's from your console, and voilĂ !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login