Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to recover from a semi-brick

Posted by chardish 
Trying to recover from a semi-brick
December 06, 2010 03:45AM
So, my Wii is somewhat bricked.

I have a very old Wii (bought it the week of launch, but not the day of launch.) Initially installed HBC via Twilight Hack, used HBC to keep my homebrew fairly current. Didn't update via Nintendo at all.

Last month I bought New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and stupidly told it that I wanted to install the update from the disc. (I don't know what I was thinking.)

After it rebooted, these were the symptoms:

- it would usually boot to the "system files are corrupted" message
- sometimes it would boot to the system menu, but then go to the "system files are corrupted" message after a few seconds
- if I got to the system menu, trying to launch the settings menu would *always* give me "system files are corrupted"

So, I managed to get Smash Bros loaded, and then I did Smash Stack to load BootMii onto boot2.

Now, here's the deal: it boots to BootMii, I can get to HBC fine, but trying to go to the System Menu causes either a black screen or a "system files are corrupted" screen. I don't think this is a banner brick because from what I've read, banner bricks crash instantly.

I loaded WiiMU and tried to use that to load a game (Smash Bros I think.) I got the Error 002 screen this time.

Naturally, since I installed BootMii after the semi-brick, I don't have good NAND data to recover to.

Dop-Mii says I have System Menu 4.2 installed, but I don't know what version to go to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Trying to recover from a semi-brick
December 06, 2010 12:40PM
This could be message board data corruption. Try booting into maintenance mode. If it works, you have corrupted message board data, which can be fixed via a system format.
December 15, 2010 10:27AM
Goto 4.1, goto 4.1... It's da best!!!
December 15, 2010 10:32AM
ken1121
No it's not. That's your opinion. There's no need for your post.
February 14, 2011 06:58AM
Well, it booted into maintenance mode, so I figured jbc007's suggestion was correct and I tried formatting my system memory. It didn't fix the problem. Now it:

- boots to the "Press A" screen
- after a little bit, goes back to the "System files are corrupted" message
- can't load HBC from bootmii, but I can get to the hackmii installer (through the bootmini.elf file and the SD card browser)

When I try loading AnyTitle Deleter (because it sounded more like a banner brick at this point), it says "Your System Menu and SYSCONF regions differ. (semi brick?)" I don't know what that means. It also says "Region properly detected as J" (no, this is a US wii), and "Sysmenu: 0 Sysconf: 1".

edit: reinstalled BootMii and now I can get to the HBC. I feel confident this error can be fixed through the right homebrew, but I'm not sure how.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 07:01AM by chardish.
February 16, 2011 07:34PM
I think you should use anyregionchanger. Don't use the system menu 3.2 installer in it though, use DOP Mii.
March 08, 2011 06:39AM
bg4545
ken1121
No it's not. That's your opinion. There's no need for your post.
4.1 is da best- second- supports bannerbomb 1, supports bannerbomb2, supports region free games- what exactly would you not like about 4.1. 4.2/4.3 just suck, simple fact.

OP- when you use Any Region Changer, you need to use [REMOVED], which supports the "awesome" 4.1 install, and not the "brick my new wii" 3.2 install.

Also, any region changer only works when loaded on a patched ios- you'll need one, which I am sure you have.

Syscheck will tell you your installed system menu, and your region settings. These need to match, so you really only need to install the correct system menu if you have a mismatch. But your issue does not sound like a region issue, which you may have.
Hopfully doing a reinstall of your system ios and system menu, matching your region settings will help. You already formated, so there are not alot of options after that- perhaps comix nand formater if your blessed with boot2 bootmii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 03:44PM by bg4545.
March 08, 2011 03:41PM
We don't support patched IOSes and also 4.1 isn't any better than any other system menu. That's your opinion, not a fact.
March 08, 2011 05:41PM
You need to use this wiibrew supported version on any region changer

Don't do that. We don't support any programs that patch IOSes. --bg4545

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 07:10PM by bg4545.
March 08, 2011 07:14PM
Nope.

metroid_maniac
I think you should use anyregionchanger. Don't use the system menu 3.2 installer in it though, use DOP Mii.
This.
March 08, 2011 07:30PM
Please stop removing my quotes of wiibrew.org. As fare as I know, all apps found under the application section are supported by wiibrew. If not perhaps it should be removed from wiibrew. Any region changer is a brick waiting to happen, you should not tell people to use it. The needs to use the any region changer that installs 4.1, not 3.2. 3.2 will brick many wiis.
Also any region changer does not patch iOS, so I don't know what your referring to. I know the we can not support apps that patch iOS, that is why I have never mentioned any such app. Wiibrew does however support many many apps that require iOS permissions to function.
March 08, 2011 09:58PM
I have removed the app from WiiBrew. Yes AnyRegion Changer doesn't work well now but Dop-Mii sure does so that was my point. Those unofficial mods of ARC did patch IOSes (it said that on the page). Not supported.
Also, IOS is not iOS. iOS = iPhoneOS, IOS = Wii's "firmware"
March 08, 2011 10:43PM
Excellent work, problem solved. Is it ok to talk about the apps that still load IOS, or do those need to be left alone? Anyway, thanks for the clarification, I think I get it. Sorry if I cause any offense, was not my intention. Just trying to help the best I can, now the rules are more clear to me and I will do better.
March 08, 2011 10:52PM
mauifrog
Is it ok to talk about the apps that still load IOS, or do those need to be left alone?
I'm not sure what you mean; all apps load IOSes. IOS patches are not supported and neither are the apps that do the patching or require patches.
March 08, 2011 11:08PM
Ok so all the apps that need permissions are ok sine they can run on ios36-v1042, because it is not patched. I get it. So if wan't to run any apps that don't have ABHPROT support, like arc, you need to use ios36-v1042.

Is it ok to use an IOS similar to IOS36-v1042 if, your wii can not run v1042. Can I say that?
March 08, 2011 11:33PM
Yes and no; ARC only supports IOS36 but I think it could be modified to use another (old) IOS. Since installing a version of IOS36 that doesn't work causes a sort of brick, it would be easier to try out on a different old IOS.
March 08, 2011 11:42PM
bg4545
Yes and no; ARC only supports IOS36 but I think it could be modified to use another (old) IOS. Since installing a version of IOS36 that doesn't work causes a sort of brick, it would be easier to try out on a different old IOS.

Although these days with dop-Mii:WiiBrew Edition, it's fairly easy to fix that brick. It was worse back in the day when IOS36 was loaded when any homebrew started.
March 10, 2011 03:10AM
bg4545
I have removed the app from WiiBrew. Yes AnyRegion Changer doesn't work well now but Dop-Mii sure does so that was my point. Those unofficial mods of ARC did patch IOSes (it said that on the page). Not supported.
Also, IOS is not iOS. iOS = iPhoneOS, IOS = Wii's "firmware"
Just noticed this-
wiibrew wiki
If you see the errors:

* Error! ES_OpenTitleContent (ret = -1026)
* The AREA/SysMenu mismatch warning even though you have the same region on Console and Game area
* System Menu shows only "."

Then you probably don't have a IOS with the Signing bug, and you should use the Trucha Bug Restorer in order to enable the features of AnyRegion Changer.
It should probably be removed, or perhaps changed to ios36 downgrade via dop-mii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 03:11AM by mauifrog.
March 11, 2011 04:48AM
I am sorry to trouble you agian, but I don't think we can suggest users to downgrade ios. It contradicts this warning found on the wiibrew wiki and is not supported here.

Only update using the official update procedure. Downgrading or installing patched updates is unsupported, dangerous, and may permanently brick your Wii.
Unfortunately I don't think there is any ethically sound way for any wii >3.2 to run any version of "Any Region Changer", these methods are not supported by wiibrew in its current forum. I believe that the app simple can not be used on any wii >3.2. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. I take back my prior post and suggest that ARC be listed as only compatible with 3.2 sm and less until the ABHPROT version is released, which will be soon god willing.

We really need ARC to support ABHPROT, it is very good app, but it sucks that no one can use it that does not have 3.2 or less.
March 11, 2011 06:42AM
The only dangerous part about downgrading is if you downgrade the System Menu. Of course since ARC makes permanent changes the user should know what they are doing beforehand so suggesting a downgrade is not so bad. Of course an update would be good either way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login