Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii menu/games present black screen; Only able to access HBC *SOLVED*

Posted by monomaniacpat 
Wii menu/games present black screen; Only able to access HBC *SOLVED*
December 21, 2010 12:06PM
Hello fine people,

My Wii would not switch on the other day. I had been using a third-party power supply. Now it switches on when I use the Nintendo power supply and stepdown (US Wii living in the UK). BootMii was loading fine, but when it loads the system menu it goes to a black screen.

I could not access the HBC, either, so I restored from my NAND backup. Now I can access the HBC, but same problem with the system menu. I also cannot play games via Gecko. I have tried many methods to restore my system menu to no avail.

Most notably I have tried using the latest (14.5) version of DOP-Mii. I have tried a few other methods, but I'm not sure if the rules allow me to mention them. Safe to say that a full menu install has not fixed the issue. I found a way to install 4.3 outside DOP-Mii, which for some reason does not list newer than sys menu 4.2.

Still get a black screen, although notably my drive light lit up the last time I booted the system menu. Annoyingly I also cannot sync my Wii Remote with the console – I lost sync when I restored from NAND. Therefore I only have the Wii face buttons and a GameCube controller.

So the question is: what's actually wrong with my Wii? Is it definitely a software issue? Why did the NAND restore not work? How do I fix it? Would the SaveMii cartridge definitely fix it? Unfortunately much of the country is snowed in right now and obviously it's Xmas, so not much deliveries!

Thanks for any help you can provide. I will answer any questions you have.

mono.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 08:06PM by monomaniacpat.
Re: Wii menu/games present black screen; Only able to access HBC
December 22, 2010 12:14AM
Did you also install the IOS when you installed the System Menu? It sounds like it could be an IOS issue because broken IOSes cause black screens. Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.
December 22, 2010 07:31AM
I have installed IOS70 and some of the other required IOSes in my various attempts. What other ones should I definitely have installed?
December 22, 2010 09:54AM
If you are installing System Menu 4.2 you will need IOS70 v6687. (v6912 of this IOS a stub, meaning it has no functionality besides simply existing.) If you install 4.3 you will need IOS80. So you may have installed the latest version of IOS70 which does not work. Install v6687 and then System Menu 4.2 should work.
December 22, 2010 10:22AM
I am on IOS70 v6687. I have re-installed it, even, with no effect.
December 22, 2010 11:33AM
Hmmm well if it isn't that then I'm not sure what it could be...
December 22, 2010 12:53PM
It could possibly be a broken bluetooth module, which causes black screen in SM, and means Wii Remotes won't sync. Only way to fix it would be dismantle the Wii and replace the bluetooth module. I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't fix it with homebrew on it, so you'd have to do it yourself or get a local repair shop if you can find one to do it.
December 23, 2010 01:52PM
I managed to get a screwdriver and use SaveMiiFrii. It comes up with "4.2(USA)".

I have attempted to re-seat the bluetooth module. I think you just have to pull up the end closest to the centre of the mobo and then clip it back in to place (the other end appears to just be taped to the board). Is this correct?

Anyone know how many of the parts are vital to have connected? Unscrewing everything took FOREVER. I don't want to have to keep screwing it together and apart. I've connected everything bar some of the shielding and the battery is hard to hold in place. Bit unsure which way up the battery's meant to be inserted. The WiFi antennas are not screwed into place – I assume that's not important.
December 23, 2010 03:57PM
OK. I've followed this guidance. See image.

Looks like I need to get a new BT module, then. Screen still black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 03:58PM by monomaniacpat.
December 24, 2010 10:07AM
If both the WiFi module and Bluetooth (should stay put once clipped on) are on, then you will most likely need a new Bluetooth module.

Make sure that the poles(?) (bronzeish lines) are making contact with the motherboard and that they aren't bent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 10:08AM by NintendoFreak.
Re: Wii menu/games present black screen; Only able to access HBC *SOLVED*
January 10, 2011 08:07PM
Received my BT module today, I installed it and my Wii is now working. Thanks to everyone that offered help. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login