Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Semi-brick help

Posted by HaohmaruHL 
Semi-brick help
December 30, 2008 04:39PM
So, i semi-bricked my wii the day Fatal Frame 4 was out, i have 3.3J on my PAL console. Was foolish enough to forget to run it not through GeckoOS :(
I can't use all those downgraders and anyregion changers, my internet connection is not configured and of course i can't do that while Settings are not acessable. Well, it's configured in a way, Homebrew Channel shows inet activity and i can enter Shop Channel (but it says me to update), the thing is Wiiconnect24 is disabled and all this stuff requires it. (I guess that's why i got all those errors, trying downgraders and anyregion changer stuff as they do their job through network). I also tried Bushing's "semi-brick fix discs" (both regular and padded versions) with no success. I've been waiting a game with 3.4E update for so long and still... What are my options except waiting more? Order SaveMii? I've tried almost everything out there. Is there some little utility to enable wiiconnect24 (sounds stupid, how would wanna do that,lol) or a way to configure settings remotely somehow?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:43PM by HaohmaruHL.
Re: Semi-brick help
January 01, 2009 10:08AM
WiiConnect24 is not needed for the upgraders/downgraders. I would try AnyReigon Changer again.
January 07, 2009 05:09PM
I think I'm in the exact oposite situation of HaohmaruHL - I've got a Japanese Wii, but I put a UK Mario Kart into it and now i can't get to my System Config Menus... does that mean i've sort of got 3.3E now?

I've got the Homebrew channel installed OK (it reported that I have IOS34 v4.15 when it installed itself), and the wii came ready chipped when I bought it in China.

I tried putting any region changer onto an SD card in the Apps folder, but it isn't seen by Homebrew Channel - am I missing something? Should I change the AnyRegion_Changer1.1b.dol to be boot.dol?

Even if I do get it loaded what should I be doing? Should I just change the Language to English? Will this cause the System Menu to look in \EN\EN instead of \JP\JP? Or, should I somehow resinstal 3.2J (or what ever it used to be)? If I'm meant to reinstall an old System Menu then where does this come from? I've never got the thing connected to the internet as I can't read Kanji/Katakana will this be a problem.

The perfect solution for me would be to end up with my Wii in English, but stil able to play my current set of games...

Sorry to ask such simple questions, but I honestly can't find the answers from the forums- everyone is told to just run AnyRegion Changer and I can't seem to get it to run, and I'd like some confirmation that i wont stuff things up totaly!

Thanks in advance!
January 07, 2009 05:31PM
yep, anyregion changer needs to be boot.dol
and it need to be in a folder called anyregion changer - then that folder needs to be in the apps folder!
January 07, 2009 05:57PM
Excellent - that means I can try it out this evening... should I just be changing the System Language then, should i first off try and make it install 3.2J - (it seems to suggest on [wiibrew.org] that it will do this), at least then I will have the System Menu back again... Will I need to do anything to facilitate this- I've not got it connected to the net, and as far as I know I've not got a copy of 3.2J.

I'm guessing that in the future if I want to try and run Mario Kart through then i should do it through GeckoOS.

After that what next? Can i safely attempt to put 3.2E on there and have wonderful English Menus?

I really don't want to mess this up ;)
January 07, 2009 10:28PM
oh wait, you need to be connected to the internet... Anyregion Changer has to get the update from Nintendo's servers...
January 08, 2009 01:09AM
i dont think you do
January 08, 2009 06:54PM

oh wait, you need to be connected to the internet... Anyregion Changer has to get the update from Nintendo's servers...
No you don't, not that I can remember anyway.

Excellent - that means I can try it out this evening... should I just be changing the System Language then, should i first off try and make it install 3.2J - (it seems to suggest on [[url=http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer]wiibrew.org[/url]] that it will do this), at least then I will have the System Menu back again... Will I need to do anything to facilitate this- I've not got it connected to the net, and as far as I know I've not got a copy of 3.2J.
Change the AREA code to JP (you'll see when you get there)
January 08, 2009 07:07PM
I thought anyregion changer can get the FW files for any update from Nintendo!

if not, wouldn't it be piracy to distribute Nintendo's system files?
January 08, 2009 07:08PM
The files are grabbed off nintendos own servers that the wii uses when it updates normally.
January 08, 2009 08:20PM
Exactly. Changing the area, however, does not require grabbing a file.
January 08, 2009 08:51PM
well what about for downgrading... those files have to come from somewhere right?
January 12, 2009 01:24PM
Well it worked ;)

I started it up, and there was a warning at the top of the screen about a miss-match.

I changed the Area and Language to be UK and the warning at the top of the screen went away. I rebooted, and it started up.... IN ENGLISH :)

It was then pretty simple to connect to the internet, re-run the changer and install 3.2E.

I now have my Wii in English, and I can play my Jap / US games by using Menu Loader.

I can't seem to run GeckoOS though - it says it's not a valid program (or words to that effect).

Thanks Guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 09:20AM by mark_hammond75.
January 12, 2009 06:24PM

I can't seem to run GeckoOS though - it says it's not a valid program (or words to that effect).
Convert it into a dol, or replace the boot.elf with the .dol file from the folder called "DOL"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login