Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brick caused by update via original Nintendo game disc

Posted by KEBL 
Brick caused by update via original Nintendo game disc
March 13, 2011 08:41PM
Hi
I bought New Super Mario Bros. Wii some months ago, but last time I should play it, it required an update. I had at that time System Menu 3.2E. I updated it. After the update, my Wii was bricked. I have BootMii installed as boot2, therefore I can still use parts of my Wii. My Wii is European (PAL) and was bought in April 2007.

Problems:
- My Wii can't connect to the internet anymore. I had the settings ready and working when my Wii was bricked, but my internet was down at that time. Now I can't use internet on it no matter if I use wired or wireless connection.
- The Wii Remotes won't connect unless I load a game via Gecko OS or similar apps. They can never be used with the Homebrew Channel, as my Wii returns to the System Menu when exiting the games via the Home Menu.
- My System Menu is gone. I only get a blank screen when trying to load it. Nothing happens when trying to press all four D-pad directions on the GC-controller when starting my wii without SD-card. (The GC-controller is plugged into the 4th port (....))
- I tried to load the system settings via WiiMU, but the screen turned black with a long text: "Exception (DSI) occured" and a lot of numbers. I can in other words not access my system settings.
- I have tried to reboot via Gecko OS, nothing happens except that my Wii freezes.
- I wonder if it helps by updating from another game disc, but I can't access my disc channel, so I'll never know. Is there a Homebrew Channel app that makes me able to install updates from game disc? Most of them bypass these, and I haven't found any app to install the game disc update.
- I have no NAND backup from a good Wii, only one that I made in case I bricked my Wii even more.
- My SYSCONF region differs from the System Menu region. I figured this out when trying to load AnyTitleDeleter. I got the message below:

Informing Wii that I'm God...OK!

Initializing Filesystem Driver...OK!
Wiping off fingerprints...
- Deleting ticket file /ticket/00000001/00000000.tik...
Ticket delete failed (No ticket?) -106
- Deleting title file /title/00000001/00000000... OK!

Checking system region...

Pulling Sysmenu TMD...
Pulling Sysmenu Ticket...
Informing Wii that I am its daddy...OK!
Region properly detected as P
Your System Menu and SYSCONF regions differ. (semi brick?)
Sysmenu: 2 Sysconf: -24580
Proceed with caution! (Using Sysmenu region)

As I can't use my Wii Remotes, I can't do anything else than turning off my Wii, there's no way to proceed. When loading BootMii > Settings > Info I get this information:

BootMii v1.3
Stub v1.3
Mini v0.4

Console ID: 0250e6e3
SysMenu: 2.0E boot1b boot2v4
NAND FS usage: 75.5%

I have recently installed the System Menu 2.0E just to try if that could unbrick my Wii, but it didn't help. The information above was the same before installing 2.0E, except for it saying 3.2E. I have installed the right IOSes for the System Menus, they are not stubbed, and downloaded via NUS Downloader.

When trying to downgrade via AnyRegion Changer, I also got this message: "SYSCONF_Init Value: -106"

Do you know anything about how I can solve these problems? I would be very happy if it could be solved. There's no warranty on it, as I have Homebrew Channel installed. I've tried to check that out...
Re: Brick caused by update via original Nintendo game disc
March 13, 2011 09:01PM
Using Dop-Mii, try to install any new system menu (4.2 is good).
March 13, 2011 09:12PM
Use system settings replace mod, restore a pal setting.txt. You need a gc controller and the ios used by that app. Your setting.txt is jacked, possibly you uninstalled system menu. You probably also downgraded from 4.2 since you have boot2 v4 which would have installed with nsmb. So you probably have stub ios60 and bricked with the 4.1 update, removing boot2 bootmii.
If you don't have gc controller you can use Giantpune's NAND.bin editor to build yourself a functional NAND.bin, then restore from bootmii. This would remove all your saves so you would have to extract them from your current NAND.bin and restore with the save game manager.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 09:15PM by mauifrog.
March 13, 2011 10:15PM
metriod_maniac
Using Dop-Mii, try to install any new system menu (4.2 is good).
The problem is that Dop-Mii requires Wii Remote, and my Wii won't connect Wii Remotes outside games.

mauifrog
Use system settings replace mod, restore a pal setting.txt. You need a gc controller and the ios used by that app. Your setting.txt is jacked, possibly you uninstalled system menu.
Where do I find this? How do I do this? Where is settings.txt?
I have a GC controller.
I can not access the Wii settings.

[/quote mauifrog]You probably also downgraded from 4.2 since you have boot2 v4 which would have installed with nsmb. So you probably have stub ios60 and bricked with the 4.1 update, removing boot2 bootmii.[/quote]
I have downgraded from 4.2E, yes, but that was more than a year ago!
I got boot2v4 in order to be able to use BootMii and HBC. Boot2v4 is also comitable with earlier system menus.

mauifrog
If you don't have gc controller you can use Giantpune's NAND.bin editor to build yourself a functional NAND.bin, then restore from bootmii. This would remove all your saves so you would have to extract them from your current NAND.bin and restore with the save game manager.
I have a GC controller, but may I have a link anyway?
March 13, 2011 10:21PM
The app does not apper on wiibrew anymore, I don't know if I can link it here. It should be ok as it does not appear to violate the rules, but I will let a mod confirm. You should be able to find it.
March 13, 2011 10:59PM
OK, I gave the rules a good read and I can not see how this would violate them, so here you go-
[www.mediafire.com]

The setting.txt goes in the dir with the boot.dol. You need a setting.txt for your region. There is one included for ntsc/pal, but if you don't want to have the same SN as everyone else who have used this app, you can edit/create a setting.txt with-
[www.mediafire.com]
You can open a pal setting.txt with that app, then change the SN to the one matching your wii.

Also, your wii is supposed to be a PAL wii correct? If not now is a good time to install the right region.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 11:19PM by mauifrog.
March 13, 2011 11:19PM
Thank you
March 13, 2011 11:42PM
I need to change the SYSCONF. I noticed no difference when changing the settings.txt. Do you know how to do that?
March 14, 2011 12:01AM
If you can't do it with any region changer, I think your only choice is NAND restore using giantpunes NAND.bin editor.
Possibly you could replace sysconf with fstoolbox, but you would need a working sysconf, and I don't know if that would work. New NAND is your best bet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 12:04AM by mauifrog.
March 14, 2011 10:19AM
May I have a download link to Giantpunes NAND.bin editor?
March 15, 2011 01:47AM
Giantpune
This is a program called "ohneswanzenegger". It is a multi-platform PC program for creating, formatting, & writing to a nand.bin. It allows you to taylor-make a nand.bin on your PC and then install it with bootmii or a flash programmer. It accepts wads or downloads titles and full updates from NUS. It has been undergoing closed beta testing for the past month or so. During this time, not 1 single Wii was bricked, but I still highly recommend checking the contents of a nand.bin before installing it to a wii.

screenshots running in ubuntu linux

-features-
format
download titles from NUS
download FULL updates from NUS
cache downloaded files from NUS
install wads
bad block handling
persistent settings
writes files with correct permissions
undetectable by nintendo's "pre-repair check" disc ( removes all traces of homebrew )
generate a nand.bin from "scratch" ( this still requires that you know the bad blocks and have a copy of boot1 & 2 for this wii )
**no korean or dev key support (yet).**

-basic usage-
1) start this program
2) click the "local cache" button and select a location with decent read/write speeds and (up to) 1GB of free space
3) MAKE A COPY of your nand.bin ( keep the original in a safe place )
3) click "search" in this program and select THE COPY of your nand.bin
4) click content->format and format this nand.bin
5) install titles by doing one of the following...
........a) install a full update by typing "3.0u", "4.3j", "2.0e", or similar in the upper left line and pressing "get it"
........b) install a single titles from NUS by typing a 16 character TID in the upper left line ( and optionally the version number in the upper right ) and press "get it"
........c) click file->import wads and select 1 or more .wad files to install
6) write a setting.txt ( content->setting.txt ). if you chose to install a full update in step #5, then this should automatically prompt you
7) re-read all the text in the output window. anything in bold is an error and may result in a broken nand.bin.
8) verify the contents of the nand.bin before even thinking about installing it.
9) vote for me to win the homebrew bounty
10) donate to my paypal - giantpune[at]gmail[dot]com
11) (optional) if you want, you can delete the cached NUS files. or you can leave them there for later use

-disclaimer-
This tool is not intended for people that dont understand basic principals about how the wii works. Please do not include it in any guide aimed at noobs, it was not written for them. Always make sure you verify the contents of a nand.bin after writing to it. Installing a borked nand.bin can very easily brick your wii.

windows r70 package... [www.multiupload.com]
windows r74 exe( still needs the dlls from the above link )... [www.multiupload.com]
linux and mac can build it from source code... [code.google.com]

This post has been edited by giantpune: Yesterday, 08:45 AM
be sure to use the r74, version, so dl both files. And be sure to check your new NAND with nandbincheck-
[www.multiupload.com]
March 22, 2011 04:56AM
I would be interested in seeing the cause of the brick. You can use bootmii to dump your nand. and use my nandbincheck program linked above. give it the options "-all -v -v". and it should tell you what is busted. if, for some reason, the program does not tell you why your wii is acting broken, i would ask if you could send it to me for examination and i can improve the program.
April 10, 2011 04:21PM
April 10, 2011 04:31PM
Sorry for late respond, but here it is: http://www.weebly.com/uploads/7/0/0/6/700663/wii_nand_check.doc.

Every error code should be marked with red.
April 10, 2011 08:49PM
Building a new NAND was the solution. Thank you!
April 12, 2011 09:05AM
Glad you fixed it.
April 13, 2011 09:15PM
Do you still want the bad NAND?
May 18, 2011 12:39AM
sorry for not responding sooner.

after reading that log, it is pretty obvious as to why your wii didnt start up.
Checking 00000001-0000001e ...
        tmd RSA signature isn't even close ( 1 )
        the TMD contains the wrong TID

Checking 00000001-00000002 ...
        name:    "systemmenu.rvl.0802130503 irduser@IPLBUIL"
        version: 1.34       290        hex: 122
        the IOS for this title is not bootable
         "00000001-0000001e"
while the incorrect TID in the TMD itself wouldnt keep that IOS from booting, it is a strong indicator that the other (more important) data in the TMD was borked. and if that wasnt bad enough...
Checking setting.txt stuff...
NandBin::ItemFromPath ->item not found "/title/00000001/00000002/data/setting.txt"
"Error reading setting.txt"

so there is 2 things that would keep the wii from booting up. either one of these things by itself is enough to cause a brick.

Oddly, that listing still says you are using system menu 290, which is definitely not the version that came on the mario disc. It looks to me like the update process wrote the files to the nand like it was supposed to (and overwrote existing files). But somehow the changes didnt get recorded in the superblocks. The update process writes 1 file at a time, and running the update from 3.2 to 4.2 would have written like 100+ individual files. And overwriting old files should not have deleted the setting.txt.

So, I honestly have no idea what would have gone down that did this. :( . But I am glad to hear that you were able to fix it and that my program would have caught the errors :) .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 01:00AM by giantpune.
July 05, 2011 01:58AM
Sorry for late response as well, the notification failed to email me for answer :P

The reason for the system menu was because I tried to downgrade, hoping that it would solve the problem (which it didn't). I didn't expect anyone to understand that problem, I'm just glad I fixed it (with a little bit help). I'm now trying to get the latest Wii Shop Channel without system update, but WiiSCU doesn't cooperate, so I'll try wad-installation with NAND emulator.
December 25, 2011 09:22PM
bricked wii, update 4.2E to 4.3E, menue works, bootmii installed, old nand backup exist, Homebrew-Channel: 1.0.8 IOS61 v22.30

Hi for all,

I'm a newbie and I need your help.

First apologies if my post in the wrong section.
I have see a lot of entries for this, but not
the same problem (or isn't it a problem?).

In the "Main Diagnostics" from savemii my status
will be going to "Win!". I can use my Wii normally
way, but I don't can use the configurable-usb-loader
in the homebrew channel.

This comes after my goddaughter make an update
on first christmas day from 4.2E to 4.3E.
Now it is V4.3E and I can't start my Configurable-
USB-Loader. It breaks with the message:
[+] Error
Custom IOS 249 is a stub!
Please reinstall it.

The bootmii function from the hbc (home-button in
the hbc, third entry:bootmii) seems to works good.
Also I have an old nand.bin from the first time.

Can I repair it "softly" or must I only load the old nand.bin?
Is it useful to make a new nand backup (and save the old one before)?

Thanks for your help
donald duck
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.