Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unsure of how I bricked it...

Posted by tilley 
Unsure of how I bricked it...
March 12, 2012 08:37PM
I have bricked my wii. It is one of the new black wiis, I bought it this past Christmas. I had hacked it to install HBC. Bootmii was installed as an IOS and Priiloader was installed, but I can't get to the priiloader menu. Since my wii is black, I can't connect gamecube controllers so I can't use the Savemi or Savemiifrii method of recovery. My wii will turn on, but only displays a black screen. I tried getting it to load a game (the New Super Mario Bros.) from disc but it refuses. I don't think the bluetooth module is bad because I can turn the wii on via wiimote. My next option is to buy a used wii, but I'd rather not spend the $100ish that would take. Do you guys have any ideas on how I can fix this?
Re: Unsure of how I bricked it...
March 12, 2012 09:02PM
Did you try holding reset as you turned it on to access the Priiloader menu?
March 13, 2012 12:17AM
Maybe you should tell us what you did to brick it...
March 13, 2012 02:36AM
@SifJar, Yes, I tried to hold the reset button while turning on the wii to get the priiloader menu. Still no menu, even tried new a/v cords and a different tv, still didn't work.

@tueidji, If I knew how I bricked it then the title of the thread wouldn't be "Unsure of how I bricked it...". I did notice that my games were freezing while loading and I had to press the power button for 10 seconds to turn off the wii. That happened twice before the bricking.
March 13, 2012 04:21AM
tilley
@tueidji, If I knew how I bricked it then the title of the thread wouldn't be "Unsure of how I bricked it...". I did notice that my games were freezing while loading and I had to press the power button for 10 seconds to turn off the wii. That happened twice before the bricking.
I think more what tueidj is getting it is, what was the last thing you did (or remember doing) prior to having a brick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 04:22AM by bg4545.
March 13, 2012 04:25AM
The last thing that happened was having those two games freeze on black screens while loading. I had installed priiloader and bootmii a day prior, but I had restarted my wii several times since without noticeable problems.
March 13, 2012 11:03PM
So before your wii stopped working, it was working absolutely fine, you turned it off as normal and then it wouldn't turn back on?
March 14, 2012 03:24AM
March 14, 2012 04:47AM
There are a few apps, older versions that do things you should not be doing, but when they would crash = black screen SOL.

You could test your hardware.
BT module should be fine.
If you wii was online, turn the wii on and see if it connects to your router. If the wifi module was bad replacing it should fix the wii. If the wii is bricked I doubt it will get online regardless.
If you where having trouble with disc loading, perhaps the dvd drive. If it was bad the wii should boot if you remove it.

Most likely it is bricked via some method you have not fully described. If it is bricked you can have someone reprogram the nand if you made a nand backup. No nand backup, no brick fix.

Where you loading your games from the disc channel, or via homebrew?
March 14, 2012 06:41AM
Via homebrew.

Does the wii's wifi module connect to the motherboard using the same connections as a laptop's wifi card? If so, then I could put it in my computer and see if the module/card works.

I don't suspect it's the disc drive because it will spin when I turn the wii on.

I didn't make a nand backup and I'm afraid that the nand got corrupted somehow (maybe because of priiloader?). Does every wii have a unique nand? And how do you flash the nand to replace it if you do have a backup?
March 15, 2012 01:49AM
If it blackscreened while running homebrew app you are likely very screwed without a nand backup. AFAIK all wii hardware only works on wii.
March 15, 2012 04:09AM
I was afraid of that. The local nerd store has used wiis for $85 though, luckily.
August 10, 2012 04:39PM
if you get a triwing screw driver just get a motherboard on ebay iv seen 30 dollar ones with gamecube so basicly its a upgrade fix!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 04:39PM by azaciek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login