Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Japanese Wii Semi-Bricked?

Posted by Franz 
April 11, 2012 03:14PM
I have the exact same wii with the exact same problem. I put in Jeopardy to play and I guess it asked me to update. I hit yes and it tried to go online (and couldn't) now it's semi bricked. I'll try the banner thing I guess :/
April 11, 2012 04:25PM
I installed everything above onto an SD card. When I load the SD card I get asked if I want to install Boot.elf/dol. I say yes and nothing happens. I can also see bannerbomb on the card as a green block. When I click on it it begins to install then something in Japanese pops up and I assume is telling me that something has gone wrong. The syscheck doesn't seem to do anything. Please help, I'm probably doing something wrong here.

Update: I was actually hitting "no" in Japanese and not "yes" ......
I have installed homebrew and bootmii. What can I do from here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 04:48PM by Franz.
April 11, 2012 06:49PM
Split into seperate topic, you have your own independent brick, it makes no sense to have it discussed in the same topic as another brick.

Anyway, if you have now installed HBC and BootMii, my first advice is run BootMii and use it to take a NAND backup, and keep that backup in a safe place (on your computer).

Now I am assuming that your Wii was originally a USA Wii or PAL Wii (i.e. Europe) and you installed an update from a Japanese game? If this is the case, run dop-Mii:WiiBrew Edition and install IOS80 first. Then install System Menu 4.3 for your region (U or E for USA and PAL respectively) [as in the original region of the Wii]. Your Wii should now be fixed.

Did BootMii install as boot2 or just as IOS? If just as IOS, be warned that you have no brick protection if something goes wrong, and you may want to wait for someone else to confirm my advice in case I have made a mistake. If you have BootMii as boot2, you will have a recovery venue if something goes wrong, so you can go ahead and try what I said without waiting for further confirmation.

Also, just a note: Your Wii did not try to connect to the internet when you put in the disc and clicked "yes" to the update. When that prompt appears, it is to install the update from the disc.
April 12, 2012 03:05AM
Sorry, I only added to another topic because I had the exact same problem, and I mean exact. I have a Japense Wii, is that its own thing? I ran an update, not knowing because it was in Japanese and have the brick. Can't read any disc now and I get the opera error in the settings. Looks like someone installed a new menu over the Japanse menu according the the error type (you were searching for Jap/jap/jap etc.) I downloaded bootmii as both ios and boot 2, is that okay? I did do a bootmii backup, it's on the sd card right now, move that file to my computer? Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. What should I do now?

Oh and Sys check told me:

Region: NTSC-J
The system menu v481 is running under IOS70 (rev 6687)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 46254492
Boot2 v2
Found 56 titles
Found 20 IOS on this console
Found 5 IOS Stubs on this console
April 12, 2012 04:37AM
Load dop-mii wiibrew edition from the homebrew channel. Install system menu 4.2j. That should fix it. Or, you could load any region changer and change your system settings to match USA settings 4.2u. It just depends on if you want a jap wii or a usa wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 04:40AM by mauifrog.
April 12, 2012 10:57AM
Okay awsome. Now, I'm a complete noob when it comes to any of this, so how do I go about doing this? I downloaded dop-mii and put it on my sd card but I can't figure out how to run it. The instructions I found online told me to run it through homebrew but I don't see any way to do that. What exactly should be on my sd card, I still have the boot file for homebrew, I don't know if that matters.
April 13, 2012 01:05AM
it should be like this on sd card
sd:\apps\dop-mii\boot.dol
sd:\apps\dop-mii\meta.xml
Then you should see dop-mii in the homebrew channel. Load dop-mii
Once it loads, select system menu
Install system menu 4.2 jap
April 13, 2012 02:43PM
Okay I put in a fresh SD cards and added the Dop-Mii only files. I can now see and load form the Dop-MIi in Homebrew.

What I would like to do it to get my Japanese Wii to play US games like it was doing before I ran an update. What should I install exacty? I have also read other sites that mention reinstalling a priiloader? Is that necessary for me and is prii loader the boot-mii? I see alot of warnings about bricked wiis so I would love to get it exactly right before I continue. Thanks for the help!

Region: NTSC-J
The system menu v481 is running under IOS70 (rev 6687)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 46254492
Boot2 v2
Found 56 titles
Found 20 IOS on this console
Found 5 IOS Stubs on this console
April 13, 2012 05:02PM
Okay, so with some more tinkering and research, it looks like I can install a new menu. I still just want to play US games on my Japanese Wii, so which menu do I install to have it all fixed. Or, can I just fix it back to Japanese menu and then use something to make it region free?

Also, it appears I need the wad files. I can not connect to the internet on my wii because I can not access the wii settings due to the opera error. Where can I find the Wad files for the menus and do I need a wad manager or anything installed as well? Thanks.
April 13, 2012 05:28PM
You can use NUSD to download WADs. You need no other software other than dop-Mii and NUSD (which is a PC application).

Install the Japanese System Menu to fix your semi brick. Worry about region free later.
April 13, 2012 05:38PM
Thanks for the help. I have NUSD and found Japanese 4.2 Wad. Wish me luck!
April 13, 2012 06:06PM
So, I found the Wads for Japan 4.2 and downloaded them I think. The files look like this: 0000000a, 0000000b, etc. I put them at the root of my sd card but dop-mii can't read them off the card. What should I do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 06:16PM by Franz.
April 13, 2012 06:45PM
Those files are not WADs, with NUSD make sure you check the box that says "Pack WAD" and then download it. After you get the WAD, put it on your SD card in a folder called "wad"
April 13, 2012 07:03PM
Ah, thanks! I downloaded wad file "RVL-WiiSystemmenu-v480.wad" and placed it in "wad" folder on my sd card. However, I still can't download it from dop-mii. Is this correct?
April 13, 2012 07:27PM
That sounds right to me, provided dop-Mii reads from that folder (never used it myself, so I'm not really sure).

As I understand it, you should have the file like this:

sd:\wad\RVL-WiiSystemMenu-v480.wad

Make sure you have that, no other folders or anything.
April 13, 2012 07:31PM
Yes, I have the exact file sd:\wad\RVL-WiiSystemMenu-v480.wad. However, I also have the apps folder and config folder to run Dop-Mii. Not sure if all these are necessary

I just tried loading from a USB and it says:

Error! Could not open file: USB:/wad/system Menu-NUS-v480.wad

Error! Could not open file: USB:/system Menu-NUS-v480.wad

Error! Failed to get System Menu 4.2. Error Code (-1)

Do I need to rename my wad file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 07:39PM by Franz.
April 14, 2012 10:08AM
Dop-Mii tells me I currently have 4.2 US menu, due to softmod I imagine. Does this matter?
April 14, 2012 10:29AM
No, that's the whole reason you bricked : you installed a US menu on a Japanese wii without changing the other settings. And yes, you need to rename your WAD to how it is named in the dop-Mii error.
April 14, 2012 10:36AM
Yes! That fixed it! Thanks so much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login