Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bricked settings

Posted by banjo2 
Bricked settings
October 06, 2015 10:35PM
When I go to my settings file for my Wii, it says the system files are corrupted. Anyone know a way to fix?

Note: My Wii has been bricked/Unbricked before, but I don't want to use my old NAND files. Even those may be bricked.
Re: Bricked settings
October 07, 2015 07:50AM
What do you mean by "settings file"?
October 07, 2015 09:51PM
I meant to say "go to the settings". Sorry.
October 08, 2015 06:42AM
That sounds like a semi-brick to me. Did you recently change the region of your Wii?
October 08, 2015 09:10PM
No. But I recently got Priiloader. I've heard that some save files get corrupted and cause the settings to get bricked. I play CTGP-R a lot and it took a lot of messing around trying to get the "save to SD card" fixed. It kept saying that the save is corrupted. Maybe the save on it NAND is corrupted and causes the settings to not work. Possible?
October 08, 2015 11:07PM
If you haven't been saving to SD card with CTGP-R, and you corrupted the save somehow (completing a custom cup in Grand Prix mode does that, I think), then that might be what's causing the problem. Try using something like AnyTitle Deleter to remove your MKWii save from your Wii (If you really want to back it up, you can use Savegame Manager GX, but that requires either patching an IOS or installing a cIOS, both of which we don't support here). I'm not sure what exactly the title for the save is, but I know that the game's title id is RMCP01 for PAL, RMCE01 for NTSC, RMCJ01 for Japan, and RMCK01 for Korea.
October 10, 2015 12:46AM
It WAS saving onto the Wii, until I switched it. That was before MrBean put "VR is Silly" on, fixing the corrupted save data caused by CTGP-R. Also I was just about to try getting SGMGX and backing it up, then deleting the data on the Wii. I'll also try with ACCF and SSBB because I did alot of hacks on those too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 12:46AM by banjo2.
October 11, 2015 12:20AM
I tried and it didn't work, then my System Menu itself got bricked, I unbricked it using BootMii. Any other ideas?
October 11, 2015 01:02AM
Damn. Do you have anyway of checking your Wii's region? If so, is it the region you expect it to be?
October 11, 2015 10:36PM
My region is NTSC-U, and i'm running 4.3U. I have never used any region-changer apps, nor messed with region settings. All the games I have are official discs, not backup discs or burned on games, etc.

I have been reading up on other peoples problems similar to mine. Usually people say to remove save game data from the wii and seeing if that works. It hasn't so far for me.

I'm pretty sure CTGP-R screwed with my settings file somehow. There WAS a time when I had "Save to SD Card" turned off, and before long, the save file got corrupted(from using Wiimmfi), so we had to delete that old save data and have been saving to SD card ever since. But I think that was before I backed up the NAND.

EDIT: By the time I realized the settings file was corrupted, I had already unbricked the Wii. I have no idea when it initially got corrupted in the first place.

I also heard something about downgrading the system, then upgrading back to 4.3U and it will clear the settings file. Could that work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 10:38PM by banjo2.
October 11, 2015 10:52PM
That might work. Make sure you install the correct IOS version for your region when you do that.
October 14, 2015 09:21PM
What's the best way to downgrade my system menu? And is there a chance it will hurt my ability to play some discs?

BTW, how do I know if I have the correct IOS version? I'm assuming you need.. the latest? I am aware there is a chance of my wii getting bricked. I have my NAND backed up 'n all.
October 15, 2015 08:04AM
I'm honestly not sure about how one would go about doing that. Might wanna look somewhere else for advice. My knowledge is quite limited, and this place is pretty dead, so you'd probably be better off going somewhere else for support.
October 15, 2015 08:45PM
Yeah, I figure most of the "experts" have quit or moved on to WiiU stuff. It doesn't look like anybody has ever really solved this problem before, so i'm pretty much on my own.

Thanks for the help though!
October 16, 2015 01:33AM
Well if you've bricked your wii, you're at least expected to know what you did that caused it (the name of the forum is "FixMii", not "DiagnoseMii"). If you don't know what you did/when it happened then you can't expect someone else to just guess the answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 01:33AM by tueidj.
October 18, 2015 03:01AM
tueidj
Well if you've bricked your wii, you're at least expected to know what you did that caused it (the name of the forum is "FixMii", not "DiagnoseMii"). If you don't know what you did/when it happened then you can't expect someone else to just guess the answer.

I know what bricked my Wii. I am looking for a way to fix the corrupted settings file.
October 18, 2015 06:34AM
If we know how you did it, then we could probably give better help.
October 19, 2015 10:35PM
The only thing I ever really do to my Wii that might damage it are just regular Gecko/Wiird codes, which I run on games sometimes. I probably just crashed the game while it was saving data to a savegame file and it got corrupted. I just don't know what save file to remove.

But re-upgrading my system menu sounds like it might do the job better.
November 16, 2015 04:42AM
OK I think I have this narrowed down quite a bit.

I removed the tickets/titles for game and channel data(including savegame data) for my entire Wii using AnyTitleDeleter. (tickets and titles are here: wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Memory_Format)

Quick Note: AnyTitleDeleter gives me a couple region detection errors on startup, saying my conf. region is "1". AnyRegionChanger says my region is US not Japan.

After doing so, I rebooted my Wii, and as I expected, ALL of my installed channels were gone, including HBC. ALL of my savegame data for channels and games were removed, along with the disc titles.

So I went to my Wii Settings, But it still told me system files are corrupted. (I then restored to my recent NAND backup)

However, my messages/play recordings were not cleared. That's probably the only other thing that could be causing it.

I noticed that a lot of people had this same problem after playing Super Mario Galaxy. SMG does in fact put notifications/alerts on your mail inbox. A message from the game could have gotten corrupted, especially while I was doing cheat codes with the game.

I have had some problems with the mail inbox before, so it is very likely to be the cause.

Is there a way to clear the mail/play recordings?

Thanks! (if there's anybody still out there)
November 16, 2015 05:45AM
From what I understand, the messages are stored in "/shared2/wc24/mbox" on the NAND (See [wiibrew.org] ). If you can find a way to delete the files in there it would clear them. However, I think it would probably be easier to use your NAND backup to create a new, clean, NAND with Ohneschwanzenegger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login