Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Really really really st00pid members

Posted by Arikado 
Really really really st00pid members
February 14, 2010 02:53PM
I'm sure most of you like myself have noticed an influx and unbelievably st00pid members lately.

These new members post questions so stupid that they upset forum members. Forum members tend to respond to these stupid questions with long drawn out overly clear answers. Despite their generosity, said new st00pid forum member will reply a rude response and enrage said long-time overly helpful member. Furthermore, these st00pid newbies tend to make up their own rules to the forum and cite them as they please.

To give you a better picture of what I'm talking about, here are some recent posts by these new st00pid forum members (there are three other members who joined in the past several days not included in here because all of their posts have been deleted by the other admins and I) :

davidcalman_32
Are you trying to pull a Sony? That's DEFINITELY not supported here.

davidcalman_32
Anyone with korean wiis, go back to hangul.

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?24,49214
I remember reading somewhere that the Wii's dvd drive isn't designed to spin constantly, so if i play a dvd with Mplayer CE, can it fry the drive's motor?

dylan1
What's the difference between homebrew and a dev studio if there is any?

In short, these people are trolls.

And surprise, surprise, all five of these members are being controlled by the same person. Apparently he/she/it doesn't realize there's something I can track besides the IP address.

If you see behavior similar to what I've described in this post from a new member, please report it immediately. Do not bother responding to it. Then, if they're not banned in 4-6 hours or sooner (we're pretty fast), consider that as a green light to respond to whatever it was you reported.

I'll leave this topic open for discussion for a bit ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 02:58PM by Arikado.
Re: Really really really st00pid members
February 14, 2010 11:05PM
Will do.
February 15, 2010 01:19AM
Maybe the admins should also create accounts under the names of common homebrew apps or devices, so spammers don't get names like "Savemii" or whatever his name was.

EDIT: Actually it was syncmii

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 01:21AM by Crisco.
February 15, 2010 04:57AM
Whoever he/she/or it is doing that is quite irritating. I'm glad this is getting dealt with. :D
February 17, 2010 12:39AM
Hahah they are trolls? harsh,,,,dont you think?
February 17, 2010 12:45AM
Feeley39

Not harsh at all. They are uber-st00pid.
February 17, 2010 01:29AM
Nahh not "Stoopid" <----------------felt like an idiot typing that word haha....just irritating.let you know if i see anything!!!
February 17, 2010 01:29AM
Feeley39
It's internet vernacular intended to imply that they are only here to intentionally invoke an emotional rise out of people. Asking stupid questions he/she/it and everyone else knows the answer to is what he/she/it seems to find the easiest way to accomplish that.
February 17, 2010 04:55AM
Arikado
It's internet vernacular intended to imply that they are only here to intentionally invoke an emotional rise out of people. Asking stupid questions he/she/it and everyone else knows the answer to is what he/she/it seems to find the easiest way to accomplish that.

I agree 100% its all to see who will respond the fastest, and to see who will get the most upset and stir up fights. Craigslist rant&raves is a fine example, people get on there post something just to see how many people it pisses off and gets a fight going never to see them reply back with a rebuttal to there orignal post made, and here lately it seems that has been going on. Wether its a kid or adult just out for some kicks. I had one of my topics(I think) where davidcalman_32 said something that had nothing to do with my post, I made one reply then left it and the others he/she left in other topics. Most of those no-nonsense post they have made I just ignored and paid no attention to them, to me is the best way to handle any internet troll, if they don't get a rise from anybody they will just leave. Other than those weird irrelevant post that have been made this is superb wii forum, full of bright minds, has helped me out of a big issue, and hopefully future users will see the greatness this place has to offer. Thanks to all mods/admins for there hard work.
February 17, 2010 05:19AM
To be perfectly honest I actually felt kinda bad about posting this. I initially felt like it would only give them the attention that they seek. But I eventually figured it was the best thing to do in order to inform people that yes, we have a problem and we're doing all we can to resolve it. Also, I just think it's nice for people to know what's going on in this case so they don't think there's a bunch of idiots on the forum; just one idiot. (Why someone would choose a Wii homebrew forum of all places to do this is completely beyond me by the way). Hopefully they've stopped now as we haven't had any of these idiots in a record-breaking 4 days.
February 17, 2010 05:22AM
LOL LOL but seeing those well the couple that are here at least made me laugh, and still just thinking about it, I crack up. Sometimes with post like that at random I wonder if its not some half bot half real person does forum searches just for the hell of it to see what kind of people there are or if they can hack the forum itself, why that I wouldn't know, but a good laugh at the stupids anyway.
February 17, 2010 05:33AM
Now i feel like posting a picture saying Don't feed the trolls... :P
February 18, 2010 05:07AM
/me hopes he isn't seen as one

This doesn't, of course, mean that we shouldn't answer them, right? There is still a chance that there is actually someone who really doesn't understand things we take for granted. A very small chance, but it's there.
February 18, 2010 05:13AM
You have two options when you see one of these posts.

1)Waste your time seriously answering the post only to receive no response or a very rude response (the latter being the nail in the coffin to invoke a rise out of you and/or other members)

2)Report the post so someone checks it to see if it matches up with the data used by the (for lack of a better term) 'dumb question spammer'. If the post is still there 4-6 hours after you reported it, then as I said in my original post here you can take that as a green light to go ahead and respond to it.
February 18, 2010 08:53PM
I believe starting this thread might be exactly what they wanted! This kind of attention just might fuel the kinda behaviors that started this dilemma in the first place! I think we should just lay back and see what comes up! if the problem escalates than lets deal from there.! It just seems that were giving them/him/her, exactly what they wanted!! or even possibly making a big deal out of nothing..!!! what do you think?
February 18, 2010 08:57PM
Another way of coming about it would be, after there rude episode or whatever you want to call it! Deny that person help and move on and if that oersin comes back on as a different user check it out reply and once again if you had problems with them .... Deny that person help infact start a thread with all the usernames it could possibly be!

of course just brainstorming!
February 18, 2010 09:12PM
I believe this thread has now expended it's usefulness. Anymore questions/comments, PM me.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.