Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 questions about...

Posted by mkarim85 
3 questions about...
February 19, 2009 07:01PM
Hi!
I hope someone can help me to solve these questions:
1.- Many people have said that they have the wii version 3.2, which as you know is best for use with the HBC, but how to use games that require more current version such as Animal Crossing?
2.- I want to download the homebrew, specifically to use the save game installer applications and ocarina. I now have version 3.3U on my wii, when I download these things and then use a game that requires an update as Animal Crossing, this affects my console? will break down?
3.- there is any difference between the ocarina and the usb gecko?
thank you for your attention.
Re: 3 questions about...
February 19, 2009 07:22PM
mkarim85
1.- Many people have said that they have the wii version 3.2, which as you know is best for use with the HBC, but how to use games that require more current version such as Animal Crossing?
WE have an application called gecko os that will let you run disc games without the need to update to run them.

mkarim85
2.- I want to download the homebrew, specifically to use the save game installer applications and ocarina. I now have version 3.3U on my wii, when I download these things and then use a game that requires an update as Animal Crossing, this affects my console? will break down?
No, all of the updates available for the Wii right now will not break your console.

mkarim85
3.- there is any difference between the ocarina and the usb gecko?
thank you for your attention.
USB Gecko is a hardware device, Ocarina is an application.
February 19, 2009 11:31PM
Ocarina has been dead for a while though.
February 19, 2009 11:49PM
XFelixX
Ocarina has been dead for a while though.
True. Ocarina has been "replaced" by Gecko OS, which actually has Ocarina built into it.
February 21, 2009 08:10PM
then all i need is the gecko os?
someone told me that to play games that require an update and can connect to the network nintendo, like wii shop and wiiconnect, what I need is an application called WAD.
and if i downloaded the gecko os and go to reboot options to choose "copy flag", what does this mean?
is the same as the save game installer? that I lost all my data?
February 21, 2009 08:47PM
mkarim85
then all i need is the gecko os?
To use cheats and skip the update partition of game discs? Yes.

mkarim85
someone told me that to play games that require an update and can connect to the network nintendo, like wii shop and wiiconnect, what I need is an application called WAD.
Whoever told you that doesnt know what they're talking about.

mkarim85
and if i downloaded the gecko os and go to reboot options to choose "copy flag", what does this mean?
is the same as the save game installer? that I lost all my data?
I'm pretty sure you can run cheats and skip updates without it.
February 22, 2009 07:57PM
thank you very much Arikado. I no longer know what to do, many people tell me different things about how this works.
but yes, all i want is to use the codes, move the saves for games that can not be able to the sd card from my wii, and be able to continue using the nintendo network, because now when I want to connect, it asks me to upgrade to 3.4, but i don't know
it's best to first download the HBC?
February 22, 2009 08:06PM
Install the HBC first. Then use apps to avoid updating.
February 23, 2009 02:17AM
ok, I already downloaded it, now when I want to connect to wii shop and put the Animal Crossing disc, says the same thing, it says I need the upgrade, now what?
February 23, 2009 12:30PM
Do you have the homebrew channel installed?
February 23, 2009 07:28PM
yes, the HBC, homebrew browser and gecko os, but it´s true that i need something called "wii shop fix"?
February 23, 2009 09:17PM
Tona released a Wii Shop Channel installer application here: [www.wiibrew.org] Run the application and you will be able to use the shop channel again without updating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 09:17PM by Arikado.
February 24, 2009 06:58PM
ok, thanks. which version, 1 or 2?
February 24, 2009 07:05PM
You don't need the gecko os for anything, and as far as I know all the Ocarina codes are still in development. All you have to do is go to the site and search around or ask someone.

If you have HBC installed, then you're set. I won't suggest any packages to grab, as most of them lead to precisely pirating and little else. But if you search around you will find many apps, files, etc for you to throw on your SD card in the appropriate folders and pop in the Wii.

To skip updates on discs, simply install crediar's preloader. It's at version .28 so far I believe, and works unbelievably well. There's also a companion file for preloader called hacks.ini. You'll need to grab one of those, or make your own with "hacks ini creator." Google and gbatemp can help you with both of those. You'll want to enable Skip Disc Update Check if I remember correctly.

Another bonus to preloader is Remove No Copy Protection. It's another piece of code that will be found in a hacks.ini file. It will allow you to copy save files from Wii memory straight to your SD with no hassle. I take my Brawl data everywhere I go =D

As for connecting to the internet, you can do so with no trouble. Nintendo will ask you if you want to update before ever installing one on their own volition. Shop channel and Mii channel can break and require updates if you softmod your Wii, but as you said there are WAD files available that can fix these problems with a simple install.

As for 3.2 version...we only use that because it's vulnerable to the trucha bug which allows us to pretty much install anything and everything we want =D But you won't have any use for it with the tasks you mentioned so far.

Plenty of info for you right there! Believe I answered every question, and I'll even save you money on buying the gecko device since thanks to preloader(which can be installed through homebrew channel using only your sd card!) you can do everything you want without buying the gecko.
February 24, 2009 09:32PM
This above comment is so full of misinformation I considered deleteing it. But I figured it would be more fun to just take it apart ;)

Zendeavor
You don't need the gecko os for anything, and as far as I know all the Ocarina codes are still in development. All you have to do is go to the site and search around or ask someone.
Gecko OS has replaced Ocarina as Gecko OS has Ocarina built into it. Ocarina is no longer in development. Ocarina codes are now just reffered to as cheat codes since there are many applications now that can use cheat codes.

Zendeavor
If you have HBC installed, then you're set. I won't suggest any packages to grab, as most of them lead to precisely pirating and little else. But if you search around you will find many apps, files, etc for you to throw on your SD card in the appropriate folders and pop in the Wii.
Packages? Clearly you havent just been surfing around WiiBrew and the HomeBrew Browser as is reccomended.

Zendeavor
To skip updates on discs, simply install crediar's preloader. It's at version .28 so far I believe, and works unbelievably well. There's also a companion file for preloader called hacks.ini. You'll need to grab one of those, or make your own with "hacks ini creator." Google and gbatemp can help you with both of those. You'll want to enable Skip Disc Update Check if I remember correctly.

Another bonus to preloader is Remove No Copy Protection. It's another piece of code that will be found in a hacks.ini file. It will allow you to copy save files from Wii memory straight to your SD with no hassle. I take my Brawl data everywhere I go =D
Lets not use preloader. Preloader is somewhat dangerous and permanant. GeckoOS is neither permanant nor dangerous. You can use the Wiis data mangement to move save files from your Wii onto your SD card. No preloader required =D Finally, do not reccomend people to go to malicous websites.

Zendeavor
As for connecting to the internet, you can do so with no trouble. Nintendo will ask you if you want to update before ever installing one on their own volition. Shop channel and Mii channel can break and require updates if you softmod your Wii, but as you said there are WAD files available that can fix these problems with a simple install.
No one said anything about installing WAD files. Please do not mention them as they are irrelevent to this discussion and how you suggest to use them breaches our forums rules. To update the shop channel, use Tonas IOS51 and Shop Installer here: [www.wiibrew.org]. To update the Mii channel, use CashMans Mii Channel Updater here: [www.wiibrew.org].

Zendeavor
As for 3.2 version...we only use that because it's vulnerable to the trucha bug which allows us to pretty much install anything and everything we want =D But you won't have any use for it with the tasks you mentioned so far.
Just to add to that: Updating is still not reccomended. You never know what apps could be created that need these exploits present. Since you dont need to update now for your Wii to work regularly with homebrew, you dont need to update your Wii period.

Zendeavor
Plenty of info for you right there! Believe I answered every question, and I'll even save you money on buying the gecko device since thanks to preloader(which can be installed through homebrew channel using only your sd card!) you can do everything you want without buying the gecko.
You do know that Gecko OS is an application and NOT a hardware device right? Gecko OS does NOT need the Gecko USB device to function properly.

@mkarim85
Version 2

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 10:59PM by Arikado.
February 25, 2009 01:34AM
ok..., this is getting very confusing...
February 25, 2009 02:10AM
Listen to what I say. Zendeavor doesnt fully understand what hes talking about (I knew I should've just deleted his comment).

Tell me what youre confused about and I'll set you back on track.
February 25, 2009 04:25AM
First of all, Arikado, this is with all due respect toward you as a moderator and homebrew guru. But I feel the need to defend myself, because I gave him absolutely zero "misinformation." Maybe this is just semantics, and irrelevant, but I answered a question or two that he had, and offered a solution other than Gecko for his issues. Nothing in my post was wrong, everything was true. The only thing you could legitimately take issue with is the fact that wad installations and preloader are not actually supported by the staff here at Wiibrew. So sorry about comments pertaining to that.

Side note though: If I can't find an article about certain homebrew(none in particular, just in general if this were to happen) here at this site's wiki, does that mean that I should assume it's not allowed to discuss in the forums?

Here continues my follow-up to previous comments. Be assured that I am not merely trying to be contrary with anything I say or ask. If I legitimately am misunderstanding something or other, feel free to point me in the proper direction. But please have respect not to break down a message of mine and label me clearly as a misinformant to the public. Rather just hide my post and pm about any issues we may have, yes?

mkarim85

This is in reference to the bit where you mentioned that no one said anything about wads. All I did was tell him that there are applicable wads for this method of fixing wii shop and mii channel. That's all. I would never suggest installing things through wads myself, as there is a brick risk involved for various reasons.

As far as Ocarina and it's codes go, I didn't misinform anyone about that. I said the codes are still being developed. No worries there.

Yes, packages. No, I don't only browse Wiibrew and HBBrowser. I'm more interested in learning all of this stuff for myself than using the apps, so I visit a dozen or so wii homebrew and hack sites. Maybe by the next console cycle I can be developing HB for you guys too! So yeah, I'm spread quite a bit further than here and a simple browser.

As for preloader being dangerous...I had no idea. I've never heard of a single report where it caused any damage. And while it is semi-permanent, I believe that an update takes care of it quick and dirty like. Don't quote me on it, you may know better than me. Heard of one guy who couldn't get it to install, but other than that no one's ever screwed up their wii. On top of that, it's a great brick-recovery feature. It won't recover from every brick you can get, but if you aren't doing anything too risky with your installations then preloader can be used to boot into HBC, from which you can run apps to fix most problems. What's to dislike?

I did know Gecko OS was an app. However, I did not realize that he was no longer asking about needing the USB device. I thought he was planning on getting that too. Honest mistake.
February 25, 2009 04:51AM
Im sorry if I offended you as I did not intend any offense. I can edit my posts if you like.

To defend my own position: I dont mind people looking at packages, I was just reitering not to bring that up here. I prefer to avoid preloader as there are far better alternatives. And the safest way to upgrade channels is with our apps not dumped (illegal) WADs. While WADs were brought up in the discussion, mkarim85 didnt know what they were so I found it irrelevant to bring them up again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 04:55AM by Arikado.
February 25, 2009 04:51AM
@ Zendeavor
Zendeavor
That is not exactly true as Gecko OS does do what he is asking; Ocarina codes and removing the no copy flag
Arikado
No one said anything about installing WAD files. Please do not mention them as they are irrelevent to this discussion and how you suggest to use them breaches our forums rules.
Arikado is a busy person and sometimes misses some things...
Zendeavor
Yes, packages.
We don't usually call them packages...
Zendeavor
As for preloader being dangerous...I had no idea.
Preloader is sometimes considered a quick and dirty BootMii, although they are not really meant to be similar.

EDIT: Again Arikado?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 04:51AM by bg4545.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login