Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I don't think my Wii likes homebrew...

Posted by ruyor 
I don't think my Wii likes homebrew...
May 15, 2009 07:03AM
I just hacked my Wii today using the BannerBomb method and I've had nothing but problems, I can't get hardly any homebrew to run. At this point I can't run VBAGX 2.0.1, FCE Ultra GX 3.0.2, Guitarfun 2.8, and an unknown version of RIN. The things I CAN run are Hackmii installer beta 1, the homebrew channel 1.0.1 install, and MPlayer.

For the stuff I can't run I've tried the following boot methods: Homebrew Channel 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, loading thru BannerBomb, and using BannerBomb to load loadMii 0.3.

Also, Homebrew Channel 1.0.2 refuses to load at all, it just sends me back to the Wii menu.

Here are my specs:
3.4U
Serial starts with LU51

Currently installed:
BootMii beta 1
Photo Channel 1.1
Other official channels

If you need any more info, just ask.
Re: I don't think my Wii likes homebrew...
May 15, 2009 07:19AM
Hmmm...did you let the wiimote idle out immediately after using bannerbomb? It's a weird bug that Comex can't seem to duplicate yet.
May 15, 2009 07:22AM
Odd and not sure I can help, but I think it may help to have answers to these questions:
Followed any downgrade guides?
Is your card SDHC, or just SD?
Is the card formatted as FAT(16) or FAT32?
Bootmii beta installed as part of boot2, right?
If so, tried running HBC right from Bootmii?
Any errors for the emulators i.e. what happens?
May 15, 2009 07:37AM
PhoenixTank
Odd and not sure I can help, but I think it may help to have answers to these questions:
Followed any downgrade guides?
no

Is your card SDHC, or just SD?
It's a 1G microSD in an adapter

Is the card formatted as FAT(16) or FAT32?
FAT

Bootmii beta installed as part of boot2, right?
yes

If so, tried running HBC right from Bootmii?
yes, but I only get a wierd video glitch and HBC never loads properly :S

Any errors for the emulators i.e. what happens?
No error messages, just freezes at a black screen

Hmmm...did you let the wiimote idle out immediately after using bannerbomb? It's a weird bug that Comex can't seem to duplicate yet.
no, I didn't know I needed to... I'm testing this now...

FCEU GX still crashes even after letting the wiimote shut off.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 07:46AM by ruyor.
May 15, 2009 08:11AM
Crap... I'm out of ideas here, unless you happen to have another SD card to try it out, but I doubt that is the issue (Using a 128MB microSD with adapter, myself)

Last ditch (literally) ideas you could consider if nobody has any better ideas:
Redownload anything that isn't working, remove the old files, and add the new ones (weird corruption is marginally possible)
Reformat as FAT32.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 08:11AM by PhoenixTank.
May 15, 2009 08:36AM
I have 2 other SD cards that I will try:
PNY 512MB SD, SanDisk 512MB MicroSD

I'll also try formatting in FAT32

I already tried redownloading stuff

--Edit--

If you were wondering, this is what I see when I launch HBC from the BootMii menu:

--Edit--

I've tried all 3 of my SD cards in both FAT and FAT32 with no change.

Also, is the BootMii installer supposed to freeze after successfully installing BootMii to Boot2? Because mine did, it said "Success" and when I tried to click continue nothing happened, I had to cut power to reset it. I'm starting to think this might have something to do with my problems, is there a way to uninstall it?

--Edit--

Could a Wii system memory format help? I don't have anything important on my Wii other than savedata, and that's easily backed up.

--Edit--

I figured it out! When I installed BootMii I also installed both the HBC and DVDX, I decided to uninstall both and just install HBC 1.0.1 and it works!!!!! My guess is DVDX somehow screwed up homebrew, I don't even know what DVDX is exactly, I thought it was important enough for me to install since it came with HBC and BootMii so I installed it.

Bottom line is everything that didn't work before is working now! Finally it feels like my Wii is useful again! Time for me to play SMB1 :D thanks for all your help!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 10:24AM by ruyor.
May 15, 2009 03:46PM
Well done figuring that out. I think you should report the bug to [www.bootmii.org] so they can figure out what's up.

DVDx just allows homebrew to access the disk drive for loading stuff like burned DVD disks.
May 15, 2009 06:32PM
I'm going to report the bug.
Is there any cool apps I should know about?

--Edit--

What category would this bug be under? They don't have a DVDX category on bugs.hackmii.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 06:58PM by ruyor.
May 15, 2009 10:29PM
for the vbagx i have 2.0.1 aswell and i can get all the games to run fine, but.
i cant save.
May 15, 2009 11:46PM
ruyor
I'm going to report the bug.
Is there any cool apps I should know about?

--Edit--

What category would this bug be under? They don't have a DVDX category on bugs.hackmii.com.

I'm afraid I don't know, but something is better than nothing I'm sure.
May 15, 2009 11:50PM
Do you have a modchip installed?
May 16, 2009 12:00AM
Arikado
Do you have a modchip installed?

Are you asking me? If so, no I don't, and I don't want one either. I prefer softmods over hardmods, I think they're fun to do :P

--Edit--

BTW, what's the preferred method of updating without losing the HBC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 12:01AM by ruyor.
May 16, 2009 12:06AM
ruyor
BTW, what's the preferred method of updating without losing the HBC?
1)Wait, since when is there more than one method of updating?
2)Wait, since when has there been a method of updating that makes the HBC disappear?
May 16, 2009 12:30AM
At the top of WiiBrew wiki it says "WiiBrew strongly recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo." so I assumed that there is another way.

So what you're saying is even if I do a system update thru Nintendo to 4.0, the Homebrew channel will still be there and working perfectly?

I'm a noob when it comes to Wiibrew, but I do have some homebrew background (My hacked systems: PS2, Xbox 1, PSP Phat and Slim; Other systems I run HB on: Dreamcast, DS Phat and Lite). I wanted to know if there is a way to update the Wii by downloading the update to my computer then applying it thru a SD card. If there is, it would help me keep up to date, I'm on dial-up and everytime I try to update the update fails.

Please tell me if this is dangerous or not, if it is, I won't even start researching it.

--Edit--

I put my bug report in @ bugs.hackmii.com, it's under "Installer".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 01:18AM by ruyor.
May 16, 2009 02:03AM
ruyor
At the top of WiiBrew wiki it says "WiiBrew strongly recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo." so I assumed that there is another way.
I know, that confuses a lot of people :S It should say, "WiiBrew strongly recommends that you do not update your Wii".

ruyor
So what you're saying is even if I do a system update thru Nintendo to 4.0, the Homebrew channel will still be there and working perfectly?
Yes

ruyor
Please tell me if this is dangerous or not, if it is, I won't even start researching it.
It's not dangerous, but some homebrew applications and cIOSs may become disabled after updating. Also, if you accidentally delete the homebrew channel, you can now reinstall it on 4.0 with the Hackmii Installer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 02:05AM by Arikado.
May 16, 2009 02:18AM
Cool, if I can get to my friend's house (he has DSL) I'll update to 4.0. I still want to know if it's possible to download the update on my computer and update thru SD card, having to go to my friend's house everytime I want to update is a pain...

Is there a list somewhere of the cIOSes that work on 4.0 and what they do? I know what a cIOS is, I just don't know how many there are and what they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 02:26AM by ruyor.
May 16, 2009 02:21AM
ruyor
Cool, if I can get to my friend's house (he has DSL) I'll update to 4.0. I still want to know if it's possible to download the update on my computer and update thru SD card, having to go to my friend's house everytime I want to update is a pain...
Nope.

ruyor
Is there a list somewhere of the cIOSes that work on 4.0 and what they do?
Nope. You really shouldn't need to have any installed anyway.
May 16, 2009 02:28AM
Alright then, I think I'm good to go, thanks for all the help :)
May 16, 2009 02:35AM
My pleasure! If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login