What is an MIOS?
May 26, 2009 06:14PM
And how can i make one??
Re: What is an MIOS?
May 26, 2009 06:17PM
You can't
May 26, 2009 06:44PM
MIOS is the only IOS that runs Gamecube games. v4 is the first one that came with the Wii, and when they updated it they took out the Action Replay (with hardware) functionality.

There are ways of finding them, but as the only way to install it is with software not supported here, you mostly need to look elsewhere... I know it can be done...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 06:46PM by Kage52124.
May 26, 2009 06:47PM
The MIOS is the IOS that runs in the ARM processor, when you are playing a gamecube game
May 26, 2009 09:00PM
Hmmm, interesting. Nintendo really pisses me off sometimes. Is there a possibility that you could modify the MIOS to make an ocarina for gamecube games? Cuz that would be freakin' awesome!!!

Edit: Thanks for responding!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 09:01PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
May 26, 2009 10:30PM
Kage52124
v4 is the first one that came with the Wii, and when they updated it they took out the Action Replay (with hardware) functionality

Nintendo did this via a MIOS update?
How?

(I thought they just bvlacklisted the Action Replay disc in the System Menu)
May 26, 2009 10:37PM
If it were only the system menu you could get around it by loading directly to HBC I would think. I believe the first system update that changed MIOS was 3.2, but it could have been earlier, but no earlier than 2.2.
May 26, 2009 11:38PM
daniel_c_w
Kage52124
v4 is the first one that came with the Wii, and when they updated it they took out the Action Replay (with hardware) functionality

Nintendo did this via a MIOS update?
How?

(I thought they just bvlacklisted the Action Replay disc in the System Menu)
No, I had downgraded MIOS to the original one and my Action Replay worked (on 3.X system menu).
And you don't have to modify MIOS for an "Ocarina" for Gamecube, just make a loader.
There is an Action Replay Loader app that requires a MIOS patch, but it is not supported on WiiBrew because it included MIOS in the download...
May 26, 2009 11:41PM
True BG, but if all the thing does is load the v4 of MIOS, then it defeats the purpose and you can use the old Action Replay anyway. If it patches it and DOESN'T downgrade it, then I don't know.
May 26, 2009 11:45PM
No it patches it to load the Action Replay DOL (not the disc) before the game, no downgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 11:45PM by bg4545.
May 26, 2009 11:49PM
Oh is that right? Lol if they created a completely legal MIOS patch that sounds like it'd be pretty helpful, but it's probably still a WAD...
May 26, 2009 11:52PM
The patcher itself is legal, but you would need to get MIOS, and the ActionReplay.dol yourself. (I could do it, but it's complicated)
May 27, 2009 12:04AM
bg4545
No, I had downgraded MIOS to the original one and my Action Replay worked (on 3.X system menu).

OK, than I am back to my inital question:

How does the MIOS prevent Action Replay from working?
May 27, 2009 12:21AM
I don't know how myself, all I know is that v5 onward blocks its use. It's my understanding that if you can delete the MIOS from your system, you can use a few Wii games out there that have v4. Plug that game in and it'll install it for you.
May 27, 2009 12:29AM
daniel_c_w
OK, then I am back to my inital question:

How does the MIOS prevent Action Replay from working?
I'm really not sure... It also blocks Datel's Advanced Game Port. I remember hearing that Datel's game IDs have a "C" as the region ID unlike other gamecube games which are "E", "P", or "J". Maybe it blocks that region ID from being loaded.

BTW, if you have an old version of MIOS, then discs with the newer MIOS will show a disc update (which you can get around with Gecko OS).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 02:35AM by bg4545.
May 27, 2009 12:37AM
Any idea what Wii games do that though? It's weird enough that a Wii game even has MIOS at all, let alone different versions of it. I know Big Brain Academy has MIOS v4, but what have v5 or v8 etc etc?
May 27, 2009 01:10AM
I think it was SSB Brawl that has a newer MIOS, but games with newer System Menu versions would.
May 27, 2009 01:24AM
Since I have v4 of MIOS with 3.2u, I'm going to have to be careful in what games I play from now on and more importantly, how I play them, I do NOT want to upgrade my MIOS. I went through hell trying to get the original version and I'll be damned if it changes now! Lol.
May 27, 2009 01:27AM
lol, i didn't know this would be such a huge topic.
May 27, 2009 01:40AM
Yeah, I eventually just updated and got a new Gamecube to use for Action Replay/GBPlayer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login