Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is it safe to make a back up of my nand using bootmii?

Posted by kydo 
is it safe to make a back up of my nand using bootmii?
June 12, 2009 09:39PM
okay honestly i am a little scared to do this.
couse i dunno if its safe.
i have the latest version of pretty much everything
everything is working PERFECTLY
but i dunno if itl change anything if i do this.
i have a 4gbHCSD card and i dunno if HCSD card work with it if so..
is it work a trY?
thanks.
-kydo
Re: is it safe to make a back up of my nand using bootmii?
June 12, 2009 09:40PM
is it even nessisary.
i understand that if my console gets bricked it'll save my life but..
i dunno i need some other opinions.
June 12, 2009 10:09PM
What version of bootmii did you install, Boot2 or IOS?
It will only save your wii if it's installed as Boot2.
It only reads your Wii's memory and writes to the SD. at the very worst your SD will need reformatting. give it a shot!

EDIT: please don't double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 10:10PM by metroid_maniac.
June 12, 2009 11:27PM
Most likely, you wont need it. The only real reasons you would are if you a) use dangerous applications carelessy (eg. anytitledeleter) and note i said CARELESSLY. if you're careful you shouldnt brick or b) you install WADs and the banners are mucked up, but I believe WADs are frowned upon here, and anyway, custom channels can be created with apps like WADder which wont allow incorrectly sized banners. I can't really think of any other situation when you could brick. Unless you install an out-of-region update from an import disc. But dont do that. However, one benefit of BootMii would be say you took a NAND backup of your Wii now, then updated, but new updates blocked exploits that some apps make use of (like the trucha bug which was made use of in 3.2, but blocked in 3.3 or 3.4), then you could restore the old backup and get back to the lower firmware, without using illegal downgrade methods.
June 13, 2009 12:21AM
Its perfectly safe to backup your NAND. You could even turn your Wii off in the middle of it and there would be no harm done. Restoring your NAND is the dangerous part.
June 13, 2009 02:38AM
Another good reason to back up your NAND is if YOUR DUMB SHOP CHANNEL DOESN"T LET YOU REDOWNLOAD WORLD OF GOO!!!! :(
June 13, 2009 05:50AM
I have a 4.0u wii with the newest everything then used the hackmii installer to install bootmii as boot2. used it backed up my NAND and in about 15 min my wii was invincible :) btw there isn't a real use for bootmii but it is a peace of mind tool because if anything goes wrong (because all things have a small chance of bricking) you can redo it to the last backup and viola! Good as new. And don't get freaked out if your wii remotes don't work because the bootmii menu only works with gamecube remotes it is completely safe if you do it right. however as always no promises that it won't hurt the wii. But it worked for me and everyone I know
PS: the backup uses up to 600 megs what brand and class is your card because some sdhc cards don't work
June 13, 2009 06:55PM
well my xbox just got 1/4 of the red ring and i dunno what to do.

so i dont wanna have a situation simular with my wii.

thanks everyone for helping me decide.

i will back up my nand soon. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 06:56PM by kydo.
June 13, 2009 08:20PM
what brand and class are your sd card because some dont work
June 13, 2009 09:50PM
kydo
well my xbox just got 1/4 of the red ring and i dunno what to do.

That means there's a hardware failure, i think. you need to send it to microsoft to get it fixed. :(
June 14, 2009 01:12PM
yeah, red lights are a common hardware failure on xbox 360. that wouldnt be fixed by something like bootmii taking a NAND backup and restoring it, which would only deal with software issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login