Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to the Wii

Posted by italian2_die4 
New to the Wii
June 14, 2009 09:25AM
hi
im very new to the wii and its software.
i have done some research and want to be able to run homebrew on my wii and watch dvd's .
i like the idea of the wii homebrew channel but have no idea how to get it all up n running.

i got my wii a few weeks ago.. serial number is LAH11.. if that means anything and it came with Ver3.4E. i have not upgraded yet.

what do i need to do first to get started playing homebrew?

thanks.

italian2_die4

P.S whats the latest version of the wii software.
Re: New to the Wii
June 14, 2009 09:40AM
The latest version of wii software is 4.0. DO NOT UPDATE TO IT!

You need:

an SD card and reader

Follow These instructions to install bannerbomb and These to install Hackmii Installer. If you wish to play DVD's install DVDx. Installing Homebrew channel is nesscesary. It is reccomended to install Bootmii/Boot2. Once you have installed everything, go into your bootmii folder and rename armboot.bin to avoid getting a menu on startup
June 14, 2009 01:25PM
Erm... since you are on 3.4 you should use the Twilight Hack instead of Bannerbomb.

[www.wiibrew.org]
June 14, 2009 01:43PM
And since you're on 3.4, DO update to 4.0. 3.4 has NO benefits over 4.0, while 4.0 has several benefits over 3.4. The only things patched between 3.4 and 4.0 are Twilight Hack, which is outdated by bannerbomb anyway and the exploit that HBC and DVDx installers made use of, but there's a new exploit for installing HBC and DVDx which is used in the HackMii Installer.Therefore there is NOTHING to lose by updating, but several things to gain. For example, you can use Shop Channel without fuss, you can use SD Card Menu and several other things. I believe there is nothing other than two outdated exploits that you will lose. If you were on 3.2 it'd be different, there are other exploits on it, but they were patched by 3.4, so there is no reason not to update really.
June 14, 2009 06:15PM
That may be true. But it is easier to install the hombrew channel with the Twilight Hack than with Bannerbomb. So if you are going to update, I suggest you do the Twilight Hack before the update!
June 14, 2009 06:43PM
Yeah, use Twilight Hack first. Never actually used either (my brother installed HBC with Twilight Hack), but I believe bannerbomb can cause some problems for some people. So install HBC with Twilight Hack before updating, but once you've installed HBC you're all set and may as well upgrade, there are no benefits to staying on 4.0.
June 14, 2009 07:00PM
....Twilight hack works on 3.4...
June 14, 2009 07:11PM
metroid_maniac
....Twilight hack works on 3.4...
Congratulations. You worked out what every one else already new.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but what was your point?
June 14, 2009 08:17PM
if it works on 3.4 then why bother buying TP?
June 14, 2009 11:07PM
you need TP for twilight hack...don't really know what you're getting at. But you may mean that bannerbomb works on 3.4 without needing TP, which IS a valid point. If you dont have TP (Twilight Princess), use bannerbomb, but if you do have it, stick with twilight hack (it has a cooler name. that is the main benefit. OJ - it's more reliable I believe)
June 16, 2009 02:21PM
ok i dont have TP lol

and i will not upgrade to 4.0

another question.. whats the difference between the letters after the version number eg 3.4e or 4.0e and 4.0u??
June 16, 2009 02:50PM
The 'E' means you have a European Wii, the 'U" means you have an American Wii, and the 'J' means you have a Japanese Wii.

Also, upgrading to System Menu 4.0 really won't cause you to lose any features. You will only gain new ones. The Homebrew Channel, DVDx, BootMii and all other homebrew games will still be capable of being installed and will continue to work on System Menu 4.0.

Please don't be afraid to upgrade your Wii to 4.0, but for future updates, always check Wiibrew to see if it is safe to update.
June 17, 2009 07:27PM
Guys, Twilight Hack is harder to use than Bannerbomb. Bannerbomb creates less problems, contrary to popular belief. Also, he might not have Twilight Princess.
June 17, 2009 10:27PM
No, bannerbomb causes FAR more problems. I have NEVER heard of Twilight Hack failing, whereas there are countless stories of people for whom bannerbomb just refuses to work
June 18, 2009 05:06AM
Lol I'd say that Twilight Hack is a little more difficult to run, but Bannerbomb is definitely less compatible.
June 18, 2009 02:07PM
sorry i swear last few questions lol

is the australian wii same as the euro wii lol?? :S

if i use bannerbomb on my wii on 3.4.. can i upgrade to 4.0 at a later date? if i can will it be as easy as just going to upgrade? or is it like the iphone and you have to do it all again and you lose everything?

thanks sooo much for all your help guys.. much appreciated!
June 18, 2009 06:16PM
i believe australia is PAL so i guess it's same as Europe. If you're asking to find out which save to use for twilight hack, use the Europe one.

and if you update to 4.0, everything already installed will remain intact. can't say about future firmwares yet, but no firmware yet has deleted any already installed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login