Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAND Question

Posted by WaxyPumpkin72 
NAND Question
June 27, 2009 08:09PM
Why can't someone dump the NAND from their wii, and then put it back onto someone else's bricked wii? This is probably a dumb question, but for a n00b it sounds reasonable. :P

Any info is appreciated!
Re: NAND Question
June 27, 2009 08:59PM
Basically every Wii has it's own set of "keys". These are basically long strings of numbers (and letters?) which are unique to that Wii. These keys are in the NAND dump, and if a Wii has a NAND dump restored which has different keys, it won't boot, because it's built to only boot stuff with it's own key. I think. And in anticipation of your or someone else's future question, yes the keys in a NAND dump can be changed so a dump from one Wii could be used in another, but it is a lot of effort, you have to disassemble the NAND dump, change all the keys and reassemble it (or something like that). Bushing will do this for a small fee, but I doubt anyone else in the Wii "scene" really has the expertise to do it/could be bothered. It is a LOT of work, I believe.
June 27, 2009 09:00PM
Because your NAND is encrypted with your Wii's keys and another Wii would not be able to read it.
June 27, 2009 09:06PM
Thanks, guys. My curiosity is now satisfied! :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login