Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3.3 to 4.0 what will and wont work

Posted by aujakev 
3.3 to 4.0 what will and wont work
June 26, 2009 05:42PM
Hi i have 3.3 i was wondering what would will work and wont work on 4.0 and how do i keep the home brew channel? could i copy it to the SD card then upgrade to 4.0 and copy it back? or would i have to run the banner bomb exploit? i use gecko os for cheats, will that still work? or should i just use menu loader to skip future updates. -thank you
Re: 3.3 to 4.0 what will and wont work
June 26, 2009 06:15PM
If you have 3.3v2 (also called 3.3 post October 22nd, 2008) then you won't shouldn't a change in homebrew functionality. If you have 3.3v1 (pre October 22nd) then after upgrading you'll notice that Gecko OS can no longer load channels or reboot with hooks.

The best solution though, is to install bootmii as boot2 and make a NAND Backup before you upgrade. So, if after upgrading you don't like your new firmware, you can downgrade by restoring your NAND Backup.
June 26, 2009 07:28PM
On 4.0 gecko cheats still work afaik. Basically the things that wont work are the things which say "Require an IOS that accepts fake signatures" on their WiiBrew page. But as said above, if you have 3.3v2, they won't work now anyway, so there's no reason NOT to upgrade. If you're on 3.3v1 though, you may as well stay for now.
June 29, 2009 05:25PM
i cant install boot mii as a boot2, just a Ios any way i can change that?
and i have think i have v2 becuse i used animal crossing to update, I didnt know about wiibrew.org when I updated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 05:33PM by aujakev.
June 29, 2009 05:41PM
OK, well then you may as well upgrade. But if you install BootMii as IOS, and take a NAND dump, you can still fall back if you don't like 4.0. But you will need a GC Controller. If you have GC Controller, I'd advise you to do this then upgrade, if you don't, well, you're not going to lose anything, you may as well just upgrade without taking a dump. Although if you can get a GC Controller, go for it, but if you do indeed have v2, there's not much point, you lose NOTHING by upgrading
June 29, 2009 06:44PM
SifJar
OK, well then you may as well upgrade. But if you install BootMii as IOS, and take a NAND dump, you can still fall back if you don't like 4.0. But you will need a GC Controller. If you have GC Controller, I'd advise you to do this then upgrade, if you don't, well, you're not going to lose anything, you may as well just upgrade without taking a dump. Although if you can get a GC Controller, go for it, but if you do indeed have v2, there's not much point, you lose NOTHING by upgrading
Just checking, you do know that BootMii as IOS can't restore NAND dumps, right?
June 29, 2009 07:30PM
It can't restore them at all? Oh, I thought it could. never mind then, don't bother with NAND dump, just upgrade.
June 29, 2009 08:45PM
SifJar
It can't restore them at all? Oh, I thought it could. never mind then, don't bother with NAND dump, just upgrade.
He should still dump his NAND though, or else he loses all chance of ever returning to that previous firmware. Expecially if future versions of the BootMii IOS can restore NANDs. It's unlikely though since the IOS is part of the NAND and you can't restore something while it is restoring something. Twiizers is looking for creative ways around this though (like restore only parts of the NAND not associated with the IOS) but it's extremely taxing work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 08:45PM by Arikado.
June 29, 2009 08:57PM
Perhaps they could make it two IOS, then do all the restoration with one IOS, then switch to the other and restore the first? Oh wait, if the first IOS works, why do they need to restore it? Couldn't they just restore everything apart from the BootMii IOS?
June 29, 2009 09:07PM
SifJar
Couldn't they just restore everything apart from the BootMii IOS?
Right, however, there may be other things on the NAND that need to be present while the restoration process is undergoing. Also, since every Wii has the IOS saved to different blocks on the NAND, finding out which blocks to avoid because they contain BootMii is quite a tough job.
June 29, 2009 09:13PM
Oh didn't know it saved to different blocks on different Wiis. Is it just wherever is free I assume? And I didn't think of it needing other parts of NAND to restore backup, but that's a good point. So it could be very tricky then...Unless they could move everything the restoration needs to a specific set of blocks, then ran the restoration process from there? Or would the required...um, "stuff" take up too much space to leave room for restoration? Sorry if I'm just being stupid here, I'm just sort of thinking out loud ;)
June 30, 2009 05:25PM
Great idea: Time Machine for the wii

if your fimilar with the psp hombrew then you should know about Dark_alex's "Time Machine" lets you to "Emulate" psp FW, if we made something like this for the wii, we wouldnt have to worry about upgradeing and downgradeing, it could run the system menu and such on nand dumps from the card slot! would it be hard to boot the wii with nand dumps?

and im making a nand dump of my wii as soon as i get home.
(I have dvdx and the usb2.0 Cios, does that make a difference?)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 05:33PM by aujakev.
June 30, 2009 05:36PM
I'm not sure the access time for the SD Card would be good enough to run the System Menu. And I believe NAND dumps wouldn't be able to be booted as they are. However, it may be possible to install the System Menu and required IOS on the SD Card in such a way they could be booted by BootMii. and that could be pretty cool. Keep 3.2 on the SD Card, and have the latest version on the NAND or SD Card so you can boot it to play the latest games. But I guess it'd be hard to get it working. And Time Machine only supports a few firmwares, which would imply that with a program like this, it's tricky to update it for new firmwares, but you SHOULD be able just to stick 3.2 on the SD Card, then just upgrade the NAND to the latest, and still boot from the SD Card. If it's even possible in the first place.
June 30, 2009 05:41PM
what about usb flashdrives? hows there access time ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 05:43PM by aujakev.
June 30, 2009 06:33PM
i dunno, but i think maybe slower than SD. SD may be fast enough, I mean time machine on PSP uses MS, so i guess it may be fast enough using SD
June 30, 2009 06:51PM
Well, the first question would be:

How do you make the system menu and IOS run from anything but the NAND?
June 30, 2009 07:44PM
Exactly. That's probably the hard part. I know you'd need a custom boot2 (i.e. BootMii), but beyond that, I have nothing.
July 01, 2009 06:20PM
is there any way to test if i have V1 or V2?
July 01, 2009 06:25PM
of what?

EDIT: realised you probably mean 3.3, the way to check would be see which DVDx installer works. If you have DVDx already, uninstall it, then get the older installers (the regular one and the 3.4 one) if the regular one fails and the 3.4 one works, then you have v2, if the regular one works you have v1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 06:27PM by SifJar.
July 01, 2009 07:47PM
aujakev
is there any way to test if i have V1 or V2?

Or try rebooting with gecko os. If it works, you have V1, if it doesn't, you have V2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login