Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fresh 4.0 System - HBC Question

Posted by zipperdoyle 
Fresh 4.0 System - HBC Question
July 01, 2009 10:24PM
Noob question,

I have a virgin Wii that is at 4.0 and I need guidance on installing the HBC channel. I've seen some lengthy guides on installing HBC where you install/downgrade different IOS Wads (lot of steps). Can I not just use bannerbomb and load up hackmii to install HBC? Looking in the sticky on the forum that's what it recommends doing.

On my older Wii, that is no longer here, I used the twilight method to load up hackmii and I installed HBC easily. Can someone please recommend the best approach for installing HBC on a 4.0 system?

Thanks,

ZD
Re: Fresh 4.0 System - HBC Question
July 01, 2009 10:29PM
Just use Bannerbomb to run the HackMii Installer and install the Homebrew Channel from there. Don't follow those other, complicated, illegal guides.
July 02, 2009 07:23PM
Download Bannerbomb and copy the "private" folder to the SD card.
Download The Hackmii Installer and copy "Installer.elf" to the Sd card, and rename it to boot.elf.
Download the Homebrew Browser (HBB) (on wiibrew) and make an "apps "folder on your SD card. put the "Hombrew_browser" folder in there
Take your SD card out and put it in the wii.
Go in "Wii" icon>Data Management>Wii>Channels.
Say Yes. If it says somewhere "Boot1 prevents installation of Bootmii" Ignore it.
Install The Homebrew Channel, DVDx if you want to play DVD's, and Bootmii as Boot2 (Unless you got the previous message)
Reboot your wii and use the power and reset buttons to navigate the menu. (power=scroll, reset=select) Go into the "settings" icon, then the "Arrow pointing to SD"
Let it backup...
Use the Bootmii Configuration Editor (on wiibrew and HBB) to change the autoboot to systemmenu
Download all the apps you want in HBB

Now your Wii looks completely normal, but is nearly COMPLETLEY brick reistant and can run almost anything. Be sure to Backup your wii every so often. This makes you keep your Saves and Channels if you brick it.
July 02, 2009 11:12PM
Thanks for all of the great feedback. My system was returned with firmware 3.3u on it (forgot to mention this unit was sent back by the big N as a replacement ). Should I just install HBC on 3.3u or should I install the 4.0 firmware through Nintendo and then install HBC? I know it's easier to get on 3.3u but was wondering if there were benefits of having a 4.0 system.
I loaded up hackmii to see if I could install bootmii as boot2 device but it is blocked :(

Thanks,

ZD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 11:19PM by zipperdoyle.
July 02, 2009 11:59PM
well, if its 3.3v1, you may be able to use anyregion changer and get to 3.2. But I dunno if that's adviable or not really. But I just thought I'd point it out.
July 03, 2009 12:02AM
I would suggest not upgrading. Basically, the only benefits you get are the SD card menu and SDHC support. You can use the homebrew channel to upgrade the shop channel (in case you're worried about not being able to access it unless you're on the latest firmware), and if you stay on 3.3, you might be able to use gecko os's channel loading feature (which is awesome!)!! I would suggest staying on 3.3, but if you're desperate for SDHC support, you could upgrade. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 12:02AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 03, 2009 12:05AM
Hmm maybe I'll just stick with 3.3. I'm assuming it's at 3.3v2 though as this was refurbished unit sent back to me. Since Bootmii will not install at boot2 should I install it in IOS and try installing preloader as well? I'm assuming I'm out of luck if I brick this thing.

ZD
July 03, 2009 12:07AM
well, you could install preloader i THINK, but i'm not 100% sure. i know there are definetly no hacks.ini for anything other than 3.2 and 4.0.
July 07, 2009 08:33PM
He can't install Preloader if he's on System Menu 3.3v2 because he wouldn't have an IOS that accepts fake signatures.
July 09, 2009 09:58PM
So if I want to use the preloader I'm assuming I need to do an update (via Nintendo) to 4.0? I'm assuming this will not break my existing HBC, etc, but recommendations would appreciated. I just wish the system they sent me would allow me to install bootmii as boot2. It's not fun having the system which I can only install it as an IOS.

Thanks,

ZD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 09:59PM by zipperdoyle.
July 09, 2009 10:13PM
no, updating to 4.0 would not allow preloader as it doesnt have trucha ios. nintendo arent going to put an exploitable feature BACK into an update. there are ways i believe, but they arent supported here and therefore i advise against them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login