Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew and Bootmii on System 4.0

Posted by darthrader 
Homebrew and Bootmii on System 4.0
July 14, 2009 01:12AM
Does anyone have experience installing BootMii and the Homebrew channel on system 4.0. I have a Wii system 6 months old and I am only looking to make a backup of Animal Crossing City Folk and possibly backing up the Wii system with BootMii.

How safe is this, and is there a link to specific instructions. I did download HackMii and the Bannerbomb program. I loaded them on a formatted SD card (FAT16). I am concerned about bricking the system. That is what is holding me back right now. I am also not quite sure how to do this on system 4.0. Many of the links are for older versions.

Thanks in Advance,
Re: Homebrew and Bootmii on System 4.0
July 14, 2009 01:21AM
First of all, You will not brick your wii just by installing the HBC.

Okey-Dokey, now that that is covered, I will proceed with my instructions:
Put the bannerbomb private folder on the root of your SD card, along with the installer.elf file. Rename it to "boot.elf", and then insert your SD card into your wii.
Go to system settings/data management/channels/SD card, and a menu should pop up that looks like this:

Click yes, and the hackmii installer should load. Proceed through the menus and install whatever you want to install (HBC, Bootmii, etc.). When you're done, reset the wii, and you should have everything installed. Thats it, I believe. If you need help, just ask!! :)
July 14, 2009 01:42AM
Thank you, I believe I have the SD card setup properly. I may try this when I get home Thursday.

1) Does the HBC show up as a new channel on the Main Wii Menu after it is Installed?

2) Does BootMii also show up as a seperate channel from the Wii Channels Menu?

3) Is there any risk to installing BootMii? From what I read, I will be installing both HBC and BootMii as a seperate IOS?

4) Do I plug in the SD card before I turn ON the Wii or after I turn on the Wii? I have seen people say both. Maybe it does not matter.

Regards,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 01:45AM by darthrader.
July 14, 2009 01:43AM
You should also note that it will not look exactly like that screenshot because I took that with the original bannerbomb. The newer popup window will say more than that.

EDIT:
1) Yes
2) No, BootMii is not a channel
EDIT2:
3) You don't really need BootMii
4) It doesn't matter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 01:46AM by bg4545.
July 14, 2009 01:49AM
darthradar
3) Is there any risk to installing BootMii? From what I read, I will be installing both HBC and BootMii as a seperate IOS?

No, I don't think there's any risk, but if you can, I would suggest installing bootmii (as boot2). It will tell you if you can install it or not.
July 14, 2009 03:31AM
Thanks,

If I am able to install BooTMii as Boot2, how do I access the program once its installed.

It sounds like it works the way the old floppy drives work on a DOS system. If the disk is inserted it will try to boot from it. If the SD card is inserted when the Wii System is turned ON it tries to boot from the SD card?
July 14, 2009 03:37AM
Exactly, if your SD card is inserted, BootMii boot2 will load every time you start your Wii. This will give you very good brick protection on your Wii.
July 14, 2009 03:47AM
Thanks,

If I find I am force to install it as an IOS, is it then launched from the HBC?
July 14, 2009 03:54AM
July 14, 2009 04:11AM
Just to clarify, when you install it as an IOS, to access it from the HBC you have to press the "home" button, and then you select the bootmii option.
July 14, 2009 04:22AM
Is the following statement correct, I found this on another site.

"Furthermore, at the moment, you can not restore your NAND with BootMii installed as an IOS, only create a backup of it. Again, only users with BootMii installed as boot2 can both backup and restore their Wii's NAND."

What benefit is a backup if you cannot restore unless the hope is that you can restore at a later time if a method becomes available.
July 14, 2009 04:23AM
By the way,

Thanks all for your input. I believe I understand this much better now.
July 14, 2009 04:29AM
darthrader
Is the following statement correct, I found this on another site.

"Furthermore, at the moment, you can not restore your NAND with BootMii installed as an IOS, only create a backup of it. Again, only users with BootMii installed as boot2 can both backup and restore their Wii's NAND."

What benefit is a backup if you cannot restore unless the hope is that you can restore at a later time if a method becomes available.
Yes, 'tis sad, but true. Thats why I don't really see a point in installing it as an IOS. I think it makes it so you can run MINI apps, or something like that. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, though, LOL.....

darthradar
By the way,

Thanks all for your input. I believe I understand this much better now.
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help! :D
July 14, 2009 04:48AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Yes, 'tis sad, but true. Thats why I don't really see a point in installing it as an IOS. I think it makes it so you can run MINI apps, or something like that. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, though, LOL.....
Yeah it will allow you to run apps for MINI (whenever they're released.....)
July 14, 2009 03:25PM
Thanks,

Doesn't seem like it makes much sense to install it as an IOS then. I'll See if it installs as Boot2, if it does not I will just install the HBC for now.
July 14, 2009 09:09PM
Oh yeah, and you should install DVDx, too. It makes it so your wii can play DVDs......
July 15, 2009 02:40AM
darthrader
That site is pretty credible ;-)

darthrader
Well, that hope is the benefit of the backup. However, having BootMii installed as an IOS also let's you run MINI applications and will put a (hopefully permanent) way to run unsigned code on your Wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 02:40AM by Arikado.
July 16, 2009 01:13PM
Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login