Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Modder; Using 4.0U and LU64

Posted by Caked 
New Modder; Using 4.0U and LU64
August 03, 2009 03:30PM
So far, I've been successful in modding my Wii, but now I'd like to perform preventative maintenance against bricking. First, I attempted to install BootMii, as I was going to create a NAND backup, in case I bricked my Wii. I installed BootMii, but I can't navigate the menu with the GCN controller plugged in or the power/reset buttons. Also, as I understand it, any console past 3.4, BootMii is useless as it's loaded as an IOS.

Alright, so in search for blocking bricking, I saw preloader had something to block disc update checks or something, so I installed it. When I loaded preloader, I clicked on systemmenu hacks, but I keep getting the error:

Error: Found more values than offsets at line 36

So, does anyone know of anything else I can do to prevent bricking? Or is there something I'm doing wrong with my current setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 05:16PM by Caked.
Re: New Modder; Using 4.0U and LU64
August 03, 2009 05:12PM
You've copied the hacks.ini wrong. Anyway, we dont support backups here.

Caked
Also, as I understand it, any console past 3.4, BootMii is useless as it's loaded as an IOS.

Where'd you get that idea from? The System Menu doesn't dictate whether its installed as boot2 or IOS, the boot1 version does. And that has nothing to do with System Menu version.
August 03, 2009 05:20PM
SifJar
You've copied the hacks.ini wrong. Anyway, we dont support backups here.

Sorry, I didn't realize, I removed that part from my post. How would I go about fixing the hacks.ini? Also, do you mean the hacks.ini on my SD card? Or the hacks.ini on the console?

SifJar
Where'd you get that idea from? The System Menu doesn't dictate whether its installed as boot2 or IOS, the boot1 version does. And that has nothing to do with System Menu version.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I meant was, as far as brick protection, since I would have to load BootMii as IOS from the HBC. If i'm wrong, then I apologize and please correct me, I just read that somewhere.

Thanks for the response SifJar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 05:21PM by Caked.
August 03, 2009 05:39PM
I know what you meant in the second instance, but my point is, you said that bootmii is useless past system menu 3.4. That is not true. there are people with 4.0 who can install as boot2 and it is just as useful to those on say 3.2.

and i mean whatever hacks.ini is being used by preloader, presumably on your sd card. i didn't think there should be one on your wii. one of the hacks has more values than it has offsets. copy the correct hacks.ini from wiibrew wiki and you should be fine.
August 03, 2009 05:48PM
SifJar
I know what you meant in the second instance, but my point is, you said that bootmii is useless past system menu 3.4. That is not true. there are people with 4.0 who can install as boot2 and it is just as useful to those on say 3.2.

Oh ok, sorry, I thought you misunderstood me, thanks for the clarification! I just read on another forum that past 3.2, you can only boot as IOS or something... Or does that have to do with the Wii Version, ie LU64, etc?

SifJar
and i mean whatever hacks.ini is being used by preloader, presumably on your sd card. i didn't think there should be one on your wii. one of the hacks has more values than it has offsets. copy the correct hacks.ini from wiibrew wiki and you should be fine.

Cool, thanks much for the help, I appreciate it SifJar. :D
August 03, 2009 10:14PM
Sort of...its not hard and fast serial numbers (i.e. LUXX can install boot2, LUXX can't), its just newer Wiis have an invulnerable boot1. BootMii as boot2 makes use of an exploit in boot1 which was patched in newer wiis. But these Wiis can still install it as an IOS. ATM, its not that useful, but if Nintendo do something to homebrew in future updates, it may be useful for running unsigned code, and when MINI apps start being released, it'll be useful to run them. Its just not very useful for brick protection.

Did you get preloader hacks.ini to work yet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login