Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Playing Pal games on US Wii

Posted by hack12 
Playing Pal games on US Wii
August 15, 2009 10:55PM
Hi, I have a system menu of 3.4U and I would like to play pal games on my US wii. I have tried searching through the forums however see mixed responses.

1. Is 3.4U the same as version 4. I couldn't tell from the other posts

2. Is it possible that if I install homebrew channel can I change the region? If so is there a step by step tutorial from start to finish to do this

3. How is this different from just changing the country in the system menu

4. Will it affect the other games I play on the wii if i change the version. I mean is the version switcher automatic or is it a manual process everytime.

5. Is there something like a region unlocker that will unlock all regions and can I do it on my wii

6. My serial number starts with a LU577. does that make difference.

help...
Re: Playing Pal games on US Wii
August 15, 2009 11:08PM
1. Homebrew-wise, yes
2.yes
3.I don't think you can change in the system menu (region wise)
4. I believe that it is permanent (but you can change it again later.)
5. Not that I know of
6. Most likely not. It is usually LU64 and higher that has problems.

Ps: to play other region games you can just lauch it through gecko os

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 12:03AM by TopGun96.
August 15, 2009 11:46PM
1. No, but their homebrew capablilities are the same
2. Yes, but its not necessary. Just run Gecko OS and load the game through it. Allows region free without changing region.
3. That isn't actually changing the region.
4. You can change back later, but again, you don't need to change in the first place. However, if you do it this way, you will have to change region every time to play a different region's games.
5. Yes. Preloader or StartPatch will install region free, so you can launch region free games from Disc Channel. But those will require more work and are slightly risky. I feel you'd be better to use Gecko OS, launch it through HBC, then you can launch any region's games.
6. No difference. The only thing affected are LU64+ serials and is only warez stuff that has trouble.
August 16, 2009 11:27PM
I am quite confused over here. Isn't homebrew channel a prereq for installing gecko os. Could you please explain how to do this step by step as I am not at all sure how or where to start. I search for installing gecko os and some sites are saying that I need to install homebrew etc. Help
August 16, 2009 11:31PM
First install Homebrew Channel (Don't go to GBAtemp for that.)
Then you can drag 'n' drop the Gecko OS app onto your SD card to load through the Homebrew Channel.
Have you got the Homebrew Channel installed?
August 16, 2009 11:44PM
Hi, I do not have homebrew channel installed. Not sure which tutorial I should follow for my system menu which is 3.4U. Does that make a difference which tutorial I follow?

If you could point me to a link that would be great. I just want to be sure I am following the right steps for my version of the system menu.

For eg I am looking at this link "hxxp://www.wiihacks.com/general-homebrew-hack-issues/10068-guide-region-booting-gecko-os-1-07b.html" and it says that I need 3.2 firmware. does that mean it won't work on my 3.4U? Also it does not say how to install homebrew channel.

I am going to try following this tutorial hxxp://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup, however it does not say anything about gecko os. Is that something that has to be done in addition to the steps described on this page. Also what is bootmii and do I need it.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 11:53PM by hack12.
August 17, 2009 04:09AM
Follow the wiibrew tutorial. First install the homebrew channel, then we'll show you how to install Gecko OS.
August 17, 2009 09:54AM
Gecko OS is just a homebrew app. You add it to your SD card like any other, and the tutorial can't detail how to add EVERY homebrew app, there are a lot. Just follow that tutorial to install HBC, then you need to add Gecko OS to your SD card.
August 17, 2009 10:01AM
It is recommended that you install Bootmii ONLY if you can as Boot2. otherwise, ignore it. It offers a kind of safety net in case anything goes wrong, however with the kind of apps you're going to be using it shouldn't matter.
September 01, 2009 06:38AM
Hi, what is bootmii and do I need it. All I would like to do is play a pal game that I have just received on a NTSC wii. I have the original game disc and its not a downloaded game. Would that make any difference? I am reading these instructions on wiibrew
"if you're one of the late-comers to the Wii party you may have had to install BootMii via IOS. In that case you have to run BootMii by going into The HBC and hit the "Home" button on your Wii Remote. Place your cursor onto the "Launch BootMii" selection and press A"

I am not sure what the above meant or even if it applies to me. Pls advise. In addition how would I install gecko os after installing the homebrew channel. I read that just create the folder apps->gecko os-> and put the .dol file in that folder and that should be it. But I am not sure what needs to be done after that.

Do I need homebrew broswer?

Is it required to connect the wii to the internet as I don't have it connected at this time and don't plan to either.

Pls help.
September 01, 2009 07:59AM
hack12
Hi, what is bootmii and do I need it.
Bootmii is kind of like a brick protector. It can be used for other things, but I think it is mainly used for brick protection. You don't need to have it, but if you can install it as boot2, then it would be a pretty good idea to install it.

hack12
how would I install gecko os after installing the homebrew channel. I read that just create the folder apps->gecko os-> and put the .dol file in that folder and that should be it. But I am not sure what needs to be done after that.

The method you explained would be the way to do it. Download the app from the wiibrew page, create a folder on your SD card called "apps" and then put your gecko_os folder inside of your apps folder.

hack12

Is it required to connect the wii to the internet as I don't have it connected at this time and don't plan to either.

The homebrew browser is not necesarry, but it is quite useful. It will save yourself a lot of time. If you use it, then you can just download whatever app you want to from it instead of going to your computer to get an app every time. An internet connection is required.

Hope that answers all your questionis. :D
September 01, 2009 01:46PM
WaxyPumpkin72

hack12

The homebrew browser is not necesarry, but it is quite useful. It will save yourself a lot of time. If you use it, then you can just download whatever app you want to from it instead of going to your computer to get an app every time. An internet connection is required.

Hope that answers all your questionis. :D

Just to clarify, internet is ONLY needed for homebrew browser. To launch Gecko OS, just put the gecko_os folder in the apps folder then insert SD card into wii. Then run Homebrew Channel. Once it opens, it should have Gecko OS listed. Point at it and press A, then select Load.
September 01, 2009 04:27PM
Thx for help.

1. To install gecko does the path have to be exact same. I mean is it case sensitive and does it have to be "apps/gecko_os/" or can it be "apps/geckos". Not really important but just want to confirm

2. Reading through wiibrew instructions Part 4 Step 7 says

" 7. Select "BootMii" select the option that suits your Wii (If you can install as boot2 DO SO. If not install as IOS) "

However the next section is titled

"Running Bootmii Through HBC"

What is the difference? I guess its 2 different methods to install bootmii but is there a way to safely tell which method will work.

3. After doing all this and installation of gecko_os how would I run the game?

4. I don't want to brick my wii so just want to confirm with everyone who has done this if there is anything that needs to be done prior to starting with the instructions on "http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup" to ensure that the process is smooth. I have a 3.4U wii. thx for help
September 01, 2009 04:34PM
1. It doesn't matter. only the "apps" folder is case sensitive. Gecko OS can be called either.
2. Running the Hackmii Installer, it will tell you what is safe to install. Even if you're impatient and don't read it it still only installs if it deems it safe. Running Bootmii through HBC is just for IOS installations.
3. Simply run the HBC, select the "Gecko OS" icon and Gecko OS will load. Then you can choose the settings (leave ones you don't know alone), save them to SD if you don't want to configure it again and run the game.
4. That's all you need.

EDIT: see below

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2009 05:40PM by metroid_maniac.
September 01, 2009 05:37PM
1. "apps" is case sensitive, the gecko os part isnt. and it can be called anything, but usually its a good idea to keep it as what it is in the download, incase the app needs to load other files, so it knows where to find them.
September 01, 2009 05:40PM
hack12
After doing all this and installation of gecko_os how would I run the game?
After you launch gecko os, put the disc in the drive and then select "Launch game". It should load up the game. If the screen spazes or has weird colors, mess around with the settings before launching the game, and see if it makes a difference...
September 02, 2009 04:33AM
K, I think i have successful managed to install the homebrew channel and gecko. I installed bootmii as IOS. I am not sure what the bootmii does. I launched the Pal DVD game however the resolution was completely messed up so I tried playing with the settings and changed it to PAL60. Now the game launches but its Black and White. Is there anything specific I need to do in order to run the game in normal color. Thx
September 02, 2009 04:35AM
Aren't there more PAL options other than just PAL60? If so, try those.

Edit: I'm pretty sure bootmii IOS is so you can run apps off of MINI (which isn't possible yet). Did you try installing it as boot2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 04:36AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 02, 2009 04:36AM
Bootmii is sort of a fail-safe. However as an IOS it isn't very useful... And I do not know about the color problem
September 02, 2009 04:45AM
I played around with the settings and I changed it to force ntsc and it seems to work with color. However now when I launch the game the initial welcome screen for the game comes however as soon as I go to create the in game profile it freezes and starts a beeping sound. There are other setting options however I have no idea what they do. Do I need to change anything. At this time I cannot play the game at all because it doesn't go past the create profile screen at all. Also can i remove the SD card or do I leave it in there. Thx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login