n00b about bootmii question

Posted by LinusRampart 
n00b about bootmii question
September 03, 2009 02:56AM
For background:

Personal: Computer science student
System: 4.0u
Wiiconnect24: off

I just installed homebrew channel and DVDX with bannerbomb, but not bootmii because of the system version. Can/should I install bootmii? Reason I hesitated was because the way it interacts with the boot process, and my fear is, of course, bricking the system.

I see the advantage of using the bootmii, but I'm not sure about it altogether.

If I can install bootmii and us it, what brand/size of SD/MMC should I use?
Re: n00b about bootmii question
September 03, 2009 03:07AM
Bootmii is not dependent on system menu version it is the boot1 version. Bootmii is safe to install. There is a list if tested SD cards on the wiki
September 03, 2009 04:28PM
As long as your Wii doesn't get powered off during installation, you are completely fine. (When installing in boot2, like you should)
If your Wii does get powered off suddenly during installation, you could say your Wii is completely bricked. As long as you don't do any stunts by installing it during thunder storm, you will be fine.
September 04, 2009 10:26AM
it sounds fucking crazy to install. >_>
im not gonna risk my Wii.
September 04, 2009 02:08PM
It's not crazy. It's simple. It installs in all of two seconds.
September 05, 2009 05:03AM
Wow...Thanks to everyone for the speedy responses! Thanks TopGun96 for pointing me to the wiki, I looked at the list and purchased the official 2GB Wii SD from Sandisk today and installed Bootmii successfully. My next questions are can the Wii work without the SD in it and what are the procedures for backing up the on-board NAND?

Again, thanks for the quick responses!
September 05, 2009 08:12AM
(Note: The following response will be assuming that you installed bootmii as boot2):

LinusRampart
Can the Wii work without the SD in it

Bootmii won't load unless you have your SD card inserted (if thats what you're trying to say :P).

LinusRampart
what are the procedures for backing up the on-board NAND?

To back up your NAND, select the option with the little cogs turning, and then select the option with the green arrow pointing from the wii to the SD card. Just wait for the backup to complete, and then you're good. The backup is then put onto the root of your SD card (it should be called nand.bin). It would be a good idea for you to just take the nand.bin file and save it to your computer. Then, when you need to do a NAND restoration, just put it back on the root of your SD card and select the option with the red arrow pointing from your SD card to the wii.

I hope that answers your questions!! Tell me if I missed something :P. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 08:13AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 05, 2009 02:18PM
Okay. It gave me the option for boot2, and it installed, but its says IOS installed. Does that mean when it installs as boot2 it or it only installed as IOS? Bootmii won't load unless the SD card that installed it is in it, or any SD card? I'm assuming it could/should be any SD card inserted into it. As for the NAND, its about 512MiB, so about 5-10~ minutes and no interruptions to it while backing it up.

Thanks again! You guys are definitely faster than most of the linux forums.
September 05, 2009 03:48PM
The SD card should now have a BootMii folder on it. When you turn on your Wii, BootMii checks for that folder and its contents, and if they're there, it boots them, if not, it'll start normally. So if you copy that folder to another SD card, it will also make BootMii start. And if you rename the BootMii folder something else, the Wii will start normally. It will also start normally if there isn't an SD card in. Basically, it's like this:

If inserted SD card has folder "BootMii" with contents "ppcboot.elf", "armboot.bin" and "bootmii.ini", BootMii will run.
Otherwise, Wii will start normally, and go straight to System Menu.

And to find out if it's installed as boot2, turn on your Wii with SD card inserted, and BootMii folder on SD card. If BootMii runs, it's installed as boot2 and you're OK. If it doesn't run, its not installed as boot2.
September 05, 2009 11:35PM
Okay. Did as you said and it works! So if/when my Wii bricks, this should recover it to a point. Awesome! Thanks again for the speedy responses guys!
September 05, 2009 11:46PM
Glad that you had no issues and that I could help!! Just ask if you have more questions! :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login