Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virgin 3.3U Console - How to Start, Should I Update?

Posted by skwii 
Virgin 3.3U Console - How to Start, Should I Update?
October 10, 2009 04:58PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the scene - I've got a console that shows it's at Ver. 3.3U. I've never attempted to do anything to it yet, so it's a "fresh" box. How should I start? I know most folks say don't update to the current 4.2, but it looks like 3.3U is fairly old and some things might not work without a more current update.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Re: Virgin 3.3U Console - How to Start, Should I Update?
October 10, 2009 05:07PM
Here's my advice.

1. Use an exploit (if you have the games, go for either Twilight Hack or Indiana Pwns, if not use bannerbomb) with HackMii Installer to install HBC, DVDx and BootMii as boot2 if possible (should be possible on your wii)
2. Make a NAND dump with BootMii (restart wii, bootmii will appear. You must navigate with GC controller or front buttons on wii, not wiimote)
3. Run dop-IOS MODv7 and use it to update/install ALL IOS (apply sig check hash and ES_Identify patches to IOS36, no patches to other IOS), then, still using dop-IOS MOD, select to install the 4.1 System Menu for your region, and finally use dop-IOS MOD to update ALL channels.

You will now be running a fully updated System Menu 4.1 wii with HBC, DVDx and BootMii as boot2, and a trucha bugged IOS36. This is the best condition for your Wii to be in. There are no benefits to 4.2 over 4.1, and therefore there is no need to upgrade. 4.2 is same feature-wise as 4.1, just with a few homebrew blocks in place.

The final thing you should install is the MPlayer CE cIOS. This is a cIOS which isnt used for piracy, but most cIOS are. Dont use another cIOS. Run the MPlayer CE cIOS installer (also know as USB2.0cIOS) and select to use IOS36 for installation. Then you can play DVDs and use USB2.0 devices in MPlayer CE (the best media player available for Wii).

NOTE: For several steps in this, you need WiFi. If you dont have that, you'll probably just have to stay on 3.3, or use WADs to update with dop-IOS MOD.
October 10, 2009 05:39PM
SifJar - that was very very concise and helpful! Thank you for boiling this down a bit! I'll probably take the dive sometime this weekend. I appreciate the clarity.

Thanks!
October 10, 2009 08:04PM
No problem. I'd advise probably reading around on WiiBrew a bit before doing anything, but make sure you dont follow any "softmod" guides, or any guide really that isnt found on WiiBrew. Many other sites on the internet have tutorials which involve illegal downloads and dangerous modifications to the Wii console. I'd advise staying away from these, as many people brick their Wiis doing things they dont understand, because they are blindly following a guide. If you really want to do the dangerous stuff in those guides, read a LOT about them first, so you completely understand what you are doing and why. But I'd advise not doing the stuff at all. Most of it is completely unnecessary and only in the guides to enable piracy.
October 10, 2009 09:35PM
Thanks - So far, I've got the HBC, DVDx and BootMii installed (in Boot2) and have backed up the NAND. I'll do a little bit more research before moving forward. I've read a lot, but the learning curve is quite large. My concern is that I only want to touch the items I need to touch and not install/modify things that I really won't need to worry about.

One more question - what's the difference between DOP-IOS and DOP-IOS MOD? Why would you use one over the other?

Thanks!
Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 09:37PM by skwii.
October 10, 2009 09:40PM
The original Dop-IOS lets you install IOSs using IOS249. Since lots of people didn't like that idea (because IOS249 is often used for piracy), a MOD was made that lets you choose which IOS you use to install other IOSs with. I think. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 09:40PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
October 10, 2009 10:17PM
WaxyPumpkin72
The original Dop-IOS lets you install IOSs using IOS249. Since lots of people didn't like that idea (because IOS249 is often used for piracy), a MOD was made that lets you choose which IOS you use to install other IOSs with. I think. :P

This was the original reason for the MOD, but the MOD has taken a new direction now, and is a better app. The original can only install IOS, whereas the MOD can update the System Menu and Channels as well. The MOD has a fuller IOS listing, and also it had GC support before the original (its since been added to the original)
October 11, 2009 02:28AM
WaxyPumpkin72
a MOD was made that lets you choose which IOS you use to install other IOSs with. I think. :P
My idea :P

But seriously, a lot of people put work into this MOD and it has far surpassed the original.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 02:29AM by TopGun96.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login