Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu 4.2 fear

Posted by LinusRampart 
System Menu 4.2 fear
October 16, 2009 06:42AM
I have been reading various topics here and abroad and am fearful of bricking my wii right now.

First, I read in the wiki that the updater searches for the korean region and bricks them, how do I check the systems region?

Second, I read HBC 1.0.6 is freezing up, should I upgrade HBC?

Third, if I were to upgrade my Wii to 4.2, what are the precautions I need to take to ensure that HBC, Bootmii, and DVDx won't be removed? (specifically, can I upgrade these from HBC or do I need to run the hackmii installer again?)

Fourth, I have Lego indy and read the tutorial on how to use it, if I upgrade to 4.2, should I use indiana pwns to reinstall or bannerbomb v2?

Fifth, I read on Nintendo that unmodded wii's are bricking, whats the common element to look out fr in these?
Re: System Menu 4.2 fear
October 16, 2009 06:55AM
You can update. Twiizers released an update to the HBC that gets rid of the freezing. You most likely won't brick (99.9% sure).

To see what region your wii is, go to the wii settings, and then look up in the right hand corner.

Once you update, it doesn't matter what exploit you use. Whatever works. :)
October 16, 2009 06:55AM
1) are you in Korea? Did you buy your system in Korea? No? You have nothing to worry about
2) HBC 1.0.5 was freezing, 1.0.6 fixed that
3) The latest HBC and DVDX aren't affected by 4.2, Bootmii however, will be erased if you have a boot2 version less than boot2v4 (to check this go to the credits menu in the bootmii menu (which is called Ceiling Cat, for future reference)
4) That's entirely up to you
5) Any Wii with a boot2 version less than boot2v4 is going through a forced update, but Nintendo botched up the code, and it has a possibility of bricking your wii

The moral of the story is: Avoid 4.2 like the plague, if you need the shop channel, you can use WiiSCU ( [wiibrew.org] ) or Wii Shop and IOS61 Installer ( [wiibrew.org] ) to update it. Other than that, there's no real reason to update
October 16, 2009 05:14PM
So the region is not the manufacturing location, its the region of sale?

I let Homebrew update, it loaded the HackMii installer v.6. It says I have bootmii as boot2 and as an IOS since it's giving me the un-install options?...Guess so, as it gave me a stack dump at reinstall. BootMii gave me the following info.

SysMenu: 4.0u boot1b boot2v3

This means that IF I upgrade, that my wii will brick? How do I go to boot2v4? Is BootMii capable of being boot2v4?
October 16, 2009 10:09PM
LinusRampart
This means that IF I upgrade, that my wii will brick?
No. This means that Nintendo will update your boot2 and as long as you dont touch the power cord your wii will be fine.
October 17, 2009 05:57AM
I really don't want to update, but members of my home want Wii Sports Resort, and according to information here, it updates the SysMenu?

First, same risk as the WiiSCU, hmm...what was/is the unifying quality among the bricked Wiis from the 4.2 update? (aside from the korean check, power outage, boot2 < v3)

Second, what are the odds of bricking the system using WiiSCU?
Third, can it be used to update only the components of 4.2? (everything but boot2)
Fourth, will I ever be able to use Nintendo's updater again?
Fifth, can I ever use the WiiConnect24 again? (really miss mariocart)

Thanks again for speedy responses. Apologies if I seem a little short and terse.

Typos and sleep deprivation go hand in hand.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2009 06:00AM by LinusRampart.
October 17, 2009 06:09AM
1.) Everything you listed is the reason why you could brick...I can't think of anything else.
2.) I don't think there are any odds.
3.) ?
4.) Yes
5.) Yes

Hope that helps. :)

BTW, if the only reason you want to update is to play WSR, then don't update. Just use Gecko OS to bypass the disc update. :)
October 17, 2009 07:16AM
or even less than that, iirc, Wii Sports Resort doesn't update beyond 4.1, with which you'll be fine, and if you're on 4.1 it just updates a few IOS versions, so you'll STILL be fine
October 17, 2009 02:15PM
WiiSports Resort actually has 3.4 on the disc...
October 18, 2009 12:17AM
Well then there's no reason to avoid the update on the disc, now is there?
October 18, 2009 12:55AM
Thanks for the info on the WSR

First, do I use the 1.9.3 version of Gecko OS? I saw 2 up in the homebrew browser.
Second, can Gecko OS or WiiSCU access MKC for internet play?

Thanks again.
October 18, 2009 01:30AM
if you update your Shop Channel through WiiSCU, you should have no problem with Mario Kart online. you also don't have to worry about Nintendo banning your console, UNLESS you cheat, and if you cheat online with Mario Kart, you just lost about 9999 cool points from me
October 18, 2009 05:08AM
No, I'm not trying to cheat, especially after my younger brother, RC-0722, can't be the US record time holder for Luigi Stadium (1:16) because some one cheated. I'm just trying to code on the Wii (linux, working on my own Minix distro, ect), allow family to play commercial games, and still manage the rest of my life. :)

Right now, WiiConnect 24 is enabled, standby is disabled.

How do I disable updates? (pretty sure I did and know I have forgotten)
October 18, 2009 08:02AM
just don't click the "update" button is how you disable them
October 18, 2009 08:11AM
cactusjack901
just don't click the "update" button is how you disable them
Yep. Nintendo CANNOT auto-update your wii. It wouldn't be legal.

So no fears, LinusRampart. :)
October 20, 2009 05:48PM
Sorry it took so long, thanks again for the speedy responses, I got gecko os in working order and feel pretty confident about its present state now. Thanks again!
October 25, 2009 01:37PM
Hello there, i'm pretty much new on this, I'm running HBC and Bootmii since 2 months so far no problem.

I've heard about update 4.2 and like LinusRampart, the messages in the wiibrew homepage scared me.

Some say it will probably brick, others say it might brick, and finally there are saying it won't brick at all.

I updated hbc, so reading WaxyPunpkin it will be all right if I get 4.2.
Although reading cactusjack there is a risk.
I like having my systems updated, but I'll not take any risk of bricks. When I look the workarounds
to avoid 4.2 and still getting the updated the wiishop channel, I'm not sure which solution is less risky

What would you do guys?

An honestely can you find an agreement between the ones saying to do it and
the ones saying not to do it? You are scaring newbies.

thanks for enlightening my path

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 01:39PM by JohnnyP.
October 25, 2009 03:34PM
As long as the power doesn't go off while you update, you will be fine.
October 25, 2009 07:14PM
I have wii system 4.2 and the homebrew channel. No fears

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 07:15PM by Arikado.
October 30, 2009 03:20AM
Thank you guys. Just made the update everything is ok.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login