Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAND and Dandelions

Posted by whentoastersflew 
NAND and Dandelions
November 09, 2009 11:20PM
Hello!

Anyway, so I have a softmodded Wii and BootMii installed as boot2 just in case my power ever goes out whenever I am doing an official Nintendo(TM) update.

Wanting to store more photos of my Aunt Lily's dandelions I bought a bigger SD card today, samsung 8 gig to replace my 2 giger.

Now, for some reason I thought an easy solution to transfer between the two was to do the following:
1) Using original 2 gig card, go into NAND backup settings in BootMii.
2) Eject the old card and put the new 8 gig blank one in.
3) Backup new NAND to new card.
4) Restore new backup from new card.

So like an idiot all I did (as it turned out) was make a nand from a blank sd card and restore to.. a blank sd card.

Popping in my 2 gig again of course everything is like it was (data in tact).

THE QUESTION IS: What do I have now? Everything seems fine.. but has anything changed after making a NAND backup in BootMii from a blank card and restoring to it?
Re: NAND and Dandelions
November 09, 2009 11:23PM
What do you mean "make a nand backup from a blank sd card"? You dont make NAND dumps FROM an SD card, you make NAND dumps TO an SD card.
November 09, 2009 11:23PM
whentoastersflew
THE QUESTION IS: What do I have now? Everything seems fine.. but has anything changed after making a NAND backup in BootMii from a blank card and restoring to it?
No.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 11:24PM by Arikado.
November 09, 2009 11:27PM
I mean in what I thought would be a way to copy to my new sd card would be to use bootmii by ejecting my old card at the screen where bootmii has an arrow out of the sd card, putting the new (blank) one in, using the logo with the arrow pointing out of it and then repeating the process with the one with the arrow in it.

I will just copy the contents using a comp.

My question is basically are there any changed settings as obviously data is not affected when using the original card.

or is it?
November 09, 2009 11:30PM
All right thank you Arikado. For the record though would anyone mind explaining to me what exactly the NAND is? I've read the wiki but too much techinese.
November 09, 2009 11:49PM
The NAND is the Wii's internal memory, containing system code, channels, settings, saves, and basically everything your Wii uses that is not on a game disc or SD card. BootMii NAND backups contain almost everything in the NAND, except the second and third stage bootloaders. (boot1 and boot2) A NAND backup is pretty much a snapshot of a Wii at the point in time that the backup was made.

NAND backups that have not been converted for use with another Wii with Betwiin can only be restored to the Wii that made the backup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login