Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

just got my wii for Xmas kinda nervous

Posted by Isaiah_riseup 
just got my wii for Xmas kinda nervous
January 03, 2010 04:47AM
I just got my wii for Xmas and I want to hack it to put homebrew on my wii.
I'm nervous about bricking my wii.
will bootmii help this from happening?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2010 04:52AM by Isaiah_riseup.
Re: just got my wii for Xmas kinda nervous
January 03, 2010 04:53AM
wiibrew.org Do some reading there is alot of info there, it tell show to do everything you need to know.
January 03, 2010 05:19AM
Isaiah_riseup
I just got my wii for Xmas and I want to hack it to put homebrew on my wii.
I'm nervous about bricking my wii.
will bootmii help this from happening?
Simply installing the HBC will not brick your wii. And yes, installing bootmii (as boot2) will prevent future bricks, but only if you make a NAND backup.
January 03, 2010 02:07PM
You will not be able to install BootMii as boot2 on your Wii as it is new, so you cannot get the best brick protection available. However, HBC itself is safe, as is running homebrew games and emulators etc. Its really only dangerous when you get into System Menu and IOS patches, writing and deleting files to/from NAND and warez stuff is also a bit riskier.
January 04, 2010 05:11AM
how can i make a NAND back up?
January 04, 2010 06:11AM
You can do so with BootMii/IOS, though attempting to restore it is not recommended.
January 04, 2010 06:33AM
ok
what if my wii gets brick will the backup recover my wii?
January 04, 2010 06:42AM
Yes, though the restore process has a higher chance of causing a brick itself if you use BootMii/IOS.
January 04, 2010 08:37PM
Isaiah_riseup
ok
what if my wii gets brick will the backup recover my wii?
No. BootMii/IOS cannot be booted in most cases of bricks, and if it can, there are other ways to fix the Wii, which would be recommended above restoring a NAND dump with BootMii/IOS. In other words, in severe bricks, BootMii/IOS cannot be run (and neither can anything else). If BootMii/IOS CAN be run, there are other, safer ways to fix your Wii.
January 05, 2010 12:18AM
i just installed it and it says bootmii can only be installed as an iso what do i do?
January 05, 2010 12:19AM
Isaiah_riseup
i just installed it and it says bootmii can only be installed as an iso what do i do?
You can install it if you want to, but its kind of useless right now....So yeah. It would be pointless to make a NAND backup, AFAIK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 12:20AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 05, 2010 12:20AM
so whats the best thing to do?
January 05, 2010 12:29AM
Isaiah_riseup
so whats the best thing to do?
You can't really do anything about not being able to install it. Sorry.
January 05, 2010 08:28PM
The "best thing to do" is not be an idiot, research every piece of homebrew well before using it, especially potentially dangerous stuff and make sure you need it/its worth the risk, don't install pointless, unneeded, dangerous things such as themes or System Menu/IOS patches (unless you NEED them for some reason, but most things which need them are slightly dangerous).

Basically, make sure that what you run is safe, and necessary (obviously stuff like games and emulators is fine, as they don't access the NAND so can't really mess up your Wii) and you know how to use it. A bit of sense and you should be fine. Plenty of people survive without BootMii/boot2, and before it existed, EVERYONE had to survive without it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login