Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

quick question about updating though homebrew

Posted by lilboyblue3000 
quick question about updating though homebrew
December 31, 2009 04:52AM
I already updaded hbc and hackmii, and i used wiiscu to update my shop channle I'm on 4.1 and never used any patch things like preloader. Am i safe from updates or do I need to do something more.
Re: quick question about updating though homebrew
December 31, 2009 04:55AM
If you do the update correctly, everything should be fine.
December 31, 2009 05:27AM
what do u mean by correctly
December 31, 2009 06:04AM
I believe he means updating through Nintendo.

Just go ahead an select the "Update System" icon in your wii settings. Its perfectly safe to update, as long as the power doesn't go out.
December 31, 2009 06:31AM
oh I thought it was homebrew related. I got scared but I'll take out my sd card just to be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 06:32AM by lilboyblue3000.
December 31, 2009 06:36AM
It won't make it any "safer" if you take out your SD card, but you can if you really want to! :P
December 31, 2009 01:37PM
I don't necessarily mean through Nintendo. I mean you don't botch it by doing something stupid like installing System Menu 4.2 without IOS70. Of course, the best way to do it is through Nintendo, though, and that's what I do.
January 01, 2010 03:16AM
What would it do without haveing IOS70, when updateing to 4.2?
January 01, 2010 03:37AM
It would full brick your Wii.
January 01, 2010 04:27AM
Oh well then I need to check and make sure mine has it then, Was going to update mine tomorrow. Guess was good thing I seen this post about it.
January 01, 2010 01:15PM
If you update by Nintendo, it will install IOS70 first anyway, so you will be safe. You only need to make sure you have IOS70 first if you are manually updating with WADs or dop-IOS MOD or something like that.
January 02, 2010 01:26AM
Ah ok I was going to go through the system menu, update and let it go through nintendo anyway.
January 02, 2010 10:25PM
Then you're fine to go ahead, you dont need to install IOS70 first.
January 05, 2010 01:32AM
SifJar
If you update by Nintendo, it will install IOS70 first anyway, so you will be safe. You only need to make sure you have IOS70 first if you are manually updating with WADs or dop-IOS MOD or something like that.

well I used wiiscu for shop and will there be anything else to update after

already did hbc and and hackmii (sorry for being a noob)
January 05, 2010 08:41PM
lilboyblue3000
SifJar

well I used wiiscu for shop and will there be anything else to update after

already did hbc and and hackmii (sorry for being a noob)

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to stay on 4.1 or do you want to go to 4.2? If the later, just hit update in Settings. If the former, I'm still not really sure what you're asking. Sorry. Is Shop Channel working? Are you getting update prompts anywhere (in Shop or elsewhere)?
January 06, 2010 12:55AM
i want to be on 4.1 but when i buy a game like nsmb wii and it asks me to update. i want to be sure I'm safe
January 06, 2010 08:19PM
NSMB will ask you to update until you do, because it wants the newest version of boot2, and you can only get that by an official update. Just accept the update, it doesn't affect homebrew except for uninstalling BootMii/boot2, but it can be easily reinstalled afterwards. The update is perfectly safe and once you accept the update no other game will ask you to update for a while anyway. Trust me, I have done the update myself it is safe.
January 08, 2010 01:33AM
thanks
January 26, 2010 07:43AM
SifJar
NSMB will ask you to update until you do, because it wants the newest version of boot2, and you can only get that by an official update. Just accept the update, it doesn't affect homebrew except for uninstalling BootMii/boot2, but it can be easily reinstalled afterwards. The update is perfectly safe and once you accept the update no other game will ask you to update for a while anyway. Trust me, I have done the update myself it is safe.

SifJar, thank you for your responses to lilboyblue3000's question on this topic. I had Wii System Menu 4.1u, HBC 1.06 IOS61 v21.29, and BootMii installed on my Wii and I wanted to play NSMBWii. I was worried about updating my System Menu though so I started reading around these forums. After an hour of searching I came across this post and after reading you're responses I gained the courage to update my Wii through Wii Options > Wii Settings > Wii System Update. So I updated and now I'm happy to say I'm playing NSMBWii on my Wii with System Menu 4.2u and my HBC FCEultra and Genesis Plus still play just fine! Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login