Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exception (DSI) errors

Posted by shad0w48 
Exception (DSI) errors
April 25, 2010 02:07AM
Hello. I'm a complete noob with a few questions...

I have successfully gotten the bannnerbomb exploit to load (4.2U), but I'd prefer not to install anything to my Wii's system memory for a while because of my irrational fears that something will go wrong, and since my Wii is not able to use the boot2 bootmii I'm trying to stay on the safe side.

Anyway, I put loadmii onto my SD card and it seemed to load just fine, then I tried to load up the homebrew browser from it and it started downloading files, extracting them, and suddenly up comes an "Exception (DSI)" and a code dump.

I decided to try another software (snes9x-gx) and it, too, produced an Exception DSI.

I then tried one more software (fceugc) and it actually loaded a GUI, but the Wiimote blacked out and wouldn't connect.

I doubt that all of the softwares I tried to load were buggy, and am guessing it's more a problem with my setup. I did turn off WiiConnect24 and remove all discs from the drive, but I'm not sure what to think.

Any help would be appreciated!
Re: Exception (DSI) errors
April 25, 2010 02:22AM
Most likely a problem with launching things through Loadmii. Just install the Homebrew Channel; it won't cause any problems.
April 25, 2010 03:02AM
Thanks for the speedy reply! I kind-of expected that would be the case. Will try.

Few more questions before I go ahead, though (though I'm certain you've heard all of them before... sorry!)

I buy a lot of stuff from the Wii Shop and have linked my Club Nintendo account to the store. Will installing the HBC or any other mods hinder my ability to play and buy new wiiware and virtual console games? (I'm guessing no)

Will all the disc games I have continue to work with this installed? I can't see why they wouldn't, but some include software updates (though I've installed them already).

If and when Nintendo does release a new version of the Wii Menu, is it safe to update using the online update? I know they have some warning saying that it could render the console unusable, but I'm assuming that's only for hardware modified Wiis. Also, should I remove all the homebrew stuff before updating in that event?

Finally, will formatting the Wii system memory from the settings page remove all traces of homebrew stuff? My warranty expired a long time ago and I'd probably buy a new Wii or its successor instead of repairing, but I'm just curious.

Once again, thank you.
April 25, 2010 05:07AM
You can continue to use the shop channel, games, and everything else as usual. Homebrew does not affect it at all.

shad0w48
If and when Nintendo does release a new version of the Wii Menu, is it safe to update using the online update? I know they have some warning saying that it could render the console unusable, but I'm assuming that's only for hardware modified Wiis. Also, should I remove all the homebrew stuff before updating in that event?

It probably will be safe to update. It always has been in the past (except for region changed Korean wiis, which are bricked by updating to 4.2e/u/j); however, it is possible that homebrew will be deleted by a future update. You should check WiiBrew before updating, since there is no way to know what future updates will do. Nintendo's updates have always failed to have much affect on homebrew, but their attempts at removing homebrew have been completely unpredictable. It is very unlikely that there will be any reason to remove homebrew before updating, but I can't guarantee anything.

shad0w48
Finally, will formatting the Wii system memory from the settings page remove all traces of homebrew stuff? My warranty expired a long time ago and I'd probably buy a new Wii or its successor instead of repairing, but I'm just curious.

Probably not, but it really depends on what you install. Nintendo has a disc that checks for any fakesigned content on a wii, so, depending on what you install, it may be difficult to remove all traces of homebrew. However, this will never be a problem unless you send it in for a repair, which, as you said, is unlikely. Still, if you really need to remove all traces of homebrew, there will be a way to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 05:08AM by jbc007.
April 25, 2010 06:41AM
Thanks! Successfully installed the homebrew channel without errors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login