Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transferring virtual console games

Posted by FreakingWesley 
Transferring virtual console games
June 29, 2010 07:27PM
Hello,

I currently have two Wiis in my house. A white, chipped one that has a few virtual console and wiiware games on it and a black one who is only slightly soft modded so I could play my american copy of No More Heroes.
From what I understand, there is no official way for me to transfer the VC and WW games to my new Wii. I was wondering if there was a way through homebrew. Could anyone tell me if there is and if so, tell me how this can be done?

Regards,

FW
Re: Transferring virtual console games
June 29, 2010 07:49PM
Install BootMii (doesn't matter whether as IOS or boot2) on original Wii (i.e. one with VC/WW)
Make a BootMii NAND dump
Open NAND dump with ShowMiiWads
Pack each title into a WAD
Install WADs on new Wii (can't tell you how to do that here, as the same method applies to piracy)

Also, you don't need a "softmod" to play out of region games, and "softmods" aren't supported here ("softmod" is a term used by pirates to describe enabling your Wii for piracy without a modchip)
June 29, 2010 09:20PM
Ah, softmod was the wrong term. I installed a Gecko Disc channel which doesn't play back-ups but does skip region checks.

Installing WADs should not pose a problem. If I do this, will my Wii actually recognise them as legit? As in, will the shop channel state that I have downloaded them? I recall reading this, but I want to know for sure before I load up the homebrew on my Wii again.

Guess I'll try to get BootMii installed first. Somehow, I'm pretty dense at this stuff and it always takes me at least an hour. Thanks for your reply, and I hope you or someone else will be able to answer my last question :D
June 29, 2010 09:49PM
FreakingWesley
Installing WADs should not pose a problem. If I do this, will my Wii actually recognise them as legit? As in, will the shop channel state that I have downloaded them?

The shop channel will not recognize that you have these games, and if you ever try to download them from the shop channel, you will get an error unless you first delete them with a tool such as AnyTitle Deleter. However, they will run normally from the wii menu, and you can copy them to an SD card as usual. Provided you have system menu 3.2 or lower or trucha patched your system menu IOS, you can also copy the games back to your wii from your SD card.

Anyway, doesn't this violate the license of the WW/VC games or at least count as DRM circumvention, thereby making it illegal? In which case, why are we talking about it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 09:53PM by jbc007.
June 29, 2010 09:56PM
jbc007
Anyway, doesn't this violate the license of the WW/VC games or at least count as DRM circumvention, thereby making it illegal? In which case, why are we talking about it?

I dunno. Maybe. If so, forget I said it and move on.
June 29, 2010 10:02PM
Ah, that's too bad. Well, I'm not planning on getting rid of the white Wii, so I guess it will be fine.

I just managed to pack all my games into wads, except for the downloadable content for Mega Man 9. It gives the error: "File could not be found:..." pointing to a certain .app in the Nand folder. It did make a wad. Can't downloadable content be transferred?

EDIT: Topics like this aren't allowed? Aren't most topics about homebrew borderline illegal, anyway? Well I don't want to break the forum rules.
Thank you both for your help. I should manage to finish this on my own with the instructions you gave me :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 10:04PM by FreakingWesley.
June 29, 2010 10:25PM
FreakingWesley
Can't downloadable content be transferred?

Normally it can't because that would make piracy far too easy (not that it isn't already).

FreakingWesley
Topics like this aren't allowed? Aren't most topics about homebrew borderline illegal, anyway?

Homebrew is completely legal, so most topics about it are just fine. However, many people use homebrew for piracy, which, of course, is illegal. Although you are attempting to copy these games for a legitimate purpose, pirates copy, distribute, and install WW/VC games in exactly the same way. WiiBrew does everything reasonably possible to avoid helping pirates, and any information about making copies of copyrighted content (such as this topic contains) can be beneficial to pirates.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login