Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pls help with app problem

Posted by H2K352 
Pls help with app problem
August 14, 2010 10:00PM
hey guys im a real noob when it comes to this. but im getting frustrated. i have a wii with version 4.3 i followed a guide and and installed the homebrew channel on it. my problem is that when i try to install an app it doesnt show up in the homebrew channel. i made an app folder on the root of the sd put the application in the app folder and nothing it still doesnt show up just the blank screen with the bubbles. i researched and found some ppl say that u need to make a folder or file named boot.dol or something of the sort. if so can someone pls explain in detail how do i do this. any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Pls help with app problem
August 14, 2010 10:33PM
make a folder called "apps" (all lower case) on the root of the SD card.
inside that, make a folder for whatever app you want to use (e.g. "homebrew_browser")
Inside that, place the boot.dol from the download of the homebrew app, along with the meta.xml and icon.png if they're present (only essential one is boot.dol, but the others make it look nicer)

final path should be:

sd:/apps/homebrew_browser/boot.dol

(replace "homebrew_browser" with name of app)
August 14, 2010 10:48PM
i dont quite understand u sorry. the app im trying to run doesnt come with a boot.dol file, which is y i assume isn't showing up in homebrew channel. in this case what do i do?

do i have to make a folder named boot.dol?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 10:50PM by H2K352.
August 14, 2010 11:00PM
It has to be either a "boot.dol" or "boot.elf". On your SD card make a folder called "apps". (You say you already have this.) Make a folder for the app (or drag the folder to your SD card since most apps come in a premade folder) INSIDE the "apps" folder. Lastly put the "boot" file inside that folder (or make sure it is in there if you dragged the app folder).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 11:03PM by bg4545.
August 14, 2010 11:07PM
this boot.dol/elf. file u speak of, where do i get it from? can i use a boot.dol file that came on another app? sorry i know this is basic but pls help a super newb out.
August 14, 2010 11:12PM
boot.dol/elf IS the app, you fail at downloading if you have an app without that. Note: if could be something else with a .dol or .elf extension, if so, rename it boot.dol/boot.elf
August 14, 2010 11:12PM
The app itself is the boot.dol/boot.elf. If you have an 'app' that doesn't have a boot file, then you don't have an app.
August 15, 2010 05:16AM
H2K352
this boot.dol/elf. file u speak of, where do i get it from? can i use a boot.dol file that came on another app? sorry i know this is basic but pls help a super newb out.
Might help if you were to state what app you were trying to load and where you were getting it from.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login