Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you mod a new Wii?

Posted by Saint 
Can you mod a new Wii?
August 27, 2010 06:08PM
Does Nintendo do anything to new Wii's bought in stores so you can't softmod it with smash stack/bannerbomb, or is it just the same as if you were to own a 3 year old Wii and softmod it.
Re: Can you mod a new Wii?
August 27, 2010 06:13PM
Bannerbomb will not work on new Wii's because they have System Menu 4.3. Also, DVD's that are not made by Nintendo cannot be read on new Wii's. Otherwise, provided you are using the latest version of the HackMii Installer, homebrew should work fine on brand new Wii's.
August 28, 2010 12:45AM
There are some more non-trivial differences between new Wiis and old Wiis besides the one mentioned above.

For example, Wiis that came after 2008 don't have a bug in Boot1 which allowed installation of BootMii as Boot2. Also, these new Wiis can not downgrade to a lower version of System Menu, trying to do so would brick it.

This doesn't mean that if you have a new Wii you will not be able to fully enjoy homebrew. Everything you need for it can be installed on new Wiis without hassle.
August 28, 2010 01:22AM
Axel
Also, these new Wiis can not downgrade to a lower version of System Menu, trying to do so would brick it.

More accurately, they can't run pre October 23 2008 IOSes.
August 28, 2010 05:16AM
jbc007
Axel
Also, these new Wiis can not downgrade to a lower version of System Menu, trying to do so would brick it.

More accurately, they can't run pre October 23 2008 IOSes.

That's correct :)

I just didn't want to get into technical terminology given the nature of the question. I can almost see the next question coming... What is an IOS? xD
August 28, 2010 11:20PM
I already have my Wii modded and stuff I'm aware of IOS's and such, I was just curious of there being any precautions because I wouldn't want to be blamed for getting someone's new Wii bricked. You would think nintendo would do things to new wii's to stop them from being modded to prevent piracy?
August 29, 2010 12:33AM
Saint
I already have my Wii modded and stuff I'm aware of IOS's and such, I was just curious of there being any precautions because I wouldn't want to be blamed for getting someone's new Wii bricked. You would think nintendo would do things to new wii's to stop them from being modded to prevent piracy?

They did, it just didn't work.
August 29, 2010 01:24PM
winmaster
Saint

They did, it just didn't work.

Not really. All their piracy prevention attempts have been software based and consisted of stubbing IOS249 and one or two other piracy related IOS, and deleting HBC and DVDx. The only hardware based piracy protection is the newest DVD drives which can't read burnt discs.
August 29, 2010 03:09PM
And the fix to Boot1 to prevent BootMii installation :) That is the only thing that has worked pretty well for them, and is one of the only things that would ever prevent me from trading mi Wii for a new one.
August 29, 2010 10:21PM
That is not related to piracy though.
August 29, 2010 10:33PM
SifJar
That is not related to piracy though.

I don't believe Nintendo would also say that :P

I think they don't even know (or care) about everything that is going on down here... they just see any unauthorized modification as Piracy. If they didn't think that way, they would not have even bothered in releasing that fix :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 10:35PM by Axel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login