Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad blocks when backing up my nand for the first time.

Posted by irishpunk 
Bad blocks when backing up my nand for the first time.
September 10, 2010 04:29AM
Backing up my nand for the first time after installing Homebrew and on the graphical display I am getting some black/grey blocks and according to the legend it means bad blocks. How worried should I be? Are the bad blocks on the sd card or are they bad blocks on the nand? If it means the, nand wtf do I do.. this is the first time I have ever tried to do anything to my Wii. If it is just how it was written to my sd card do I need to try to rewrite it or should I just get another sd card? Thanks in advance.
Re: Bad blocks when backing up my nand for the first time.
September 10, 2010 04:40AM
They are bad blocks on the NAND. This is completely normal, and there is nothing to worry about.
Re: Bad blocks when backing up my nand for the first time.
September 10, 2010 04:37PM
They are in your NAND and it is normal. You don't need to worry or to do anything with them.

Taken from BootMii FAQs [www.bootmii.org] :

Why do I have all of these "bad blocks"? Can I fix them?
This is completely normal; in order to bring down the price of NAND flash chips, all manufacturers will allow chips to leave the factory with a small number of bad blocks. It's similar to bad pixels in LCD panels -- it would be too expensive to throw away the whole panel (or in this case, the whole chip) due to a few bad pixels. With NAND flash, software usually remaps these blocks so you don't even notice, but BootMii works at the lowest level possible so we have to take these into consideration when writing our code. There are 4096 blocks; according to the flash chip manufacturer, at least 4016 blocks are valid (in other words, up to 80 blocks may be bad).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login