Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pros and Cons to updating to 4.3 if hbc is already installed?

Posted by GrendelKhan 
Pros and Cons to updating to 4.3 if hbc is already installed?
September 13, 2010 09:43PM
I am relatively new to the scene and I've been doing a lot of reading, but it seems like there are conflicting viewpoints on whether or not to update to 4.3. I have a 4.2U Wii with hbc 1.0.8 installed. I have a retail disc copy of Other M I want to play, but it is telling me I need to update. I tried doing the IOS56 recent version update via NUSD + WadImport, as mentioned in the "Regarding the recent Wii update" post, but the disc channel still wants me to update. Was that method just for the Shop Channel and now I have to do some other IOS installs to get Other M to work?

I keep reading that there are zero benefits to updating to 4.3, but also that there is no harm in updating if you already have hbc installed, so I am confused. I'm pretty sure I would like to keep my wii at 4.2 for ethical reasons, but does that also entail using Gecko OS somehow to play games that require 4.3? My apologies if I am discussing anything inappropriate.
Re: Pros and Cons to updating to 4.3 if hbc is already installed?
September 13, 2010 10:07PM
There are no pros or cons to updating. And what on earth do you mean you want to stay on 4.2 for "ethical reasons"? You think its unethical to install 4.3? lol
September 13, 2010 10:25PM
Yes, I think it is unethical for Nintendo to require me to update my system to play a game that I have legally purchased. My wii is not connected to the internet right now, so I can't do a clean update to 4.3, even if I wanted to. All I wanted was an honest discussion of your opinion on whether or not I should update. I assume you think it's silly for me to want to keep my wii at 4.2?
September 13, 2010 10:31PM
Everything you are discussing is just fine :)

Regarding your concerns, you are right in saying that it looks to be conflicting viewpoints of is you should update or not.

Personally I would say: Yes, go ahead and update! You will miss nothing! Believe me, it's much more easy to mantain a Wii which has been fully updated than having to be checking if you need any additional IOS everytime you want to play a new game and having to install each of them manually, of course this process always involves some risk if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

I rather to save all that hassle and have a fully updated Wii which allows me to make full use of all the homebrew I want and also full-direct-and-easy access to every official nintendo game/channel. Of course, I have taken my precautions, so I have a NAND backup of my Wii before I updated, and BootMii in Boot2, just in case I ever find something I want to do that can not be done under 4.3; but so far... I have not found such thing.

Metroid: Other M includes update to 4.3, however, it also includes some other installs that we in the forum agreed that are pointless. In summary, even if you are fully updated to 4.3 via official update, M:OM will still require you to update, and what will it install? The optional channels such as Everybody votes and Look at Mii. We have not confirmed if M:OM will prompt you to install them again if you delete them afterwards, but in that case, it would make those channel non optional if you want to play M:OM.

So, as long as you don't accept the M:OM update, you will have to look for workarounds such as installing Priiloader or running it through GeckoOS everytime. Then again I would recommend you to just fully update, and forget of all those complications. These are the only 'advantages' of updating to 4.3, and regarding the disadvantages... I don't know any yet :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login