Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to Homebrew and that

Posted by Dale 
New to Homebrew and that
September 20, 2010 01:25PM
Hey guys,

Im new here, its my first post.

I was wondering how can I restore my Wii back to how it was before I Homebrewed it? Would I be better off change the IOS's to original and delete the channels I have installed (I have no idea how to do either) or just format system memory?

I have a VC game I downloaded when I first got my Wii and I don't want to get rid of that. I have HBC 1.0.6, my Wii firmware is 4.0E. DOP Mii states that I have European (The console is Australian) and I have Hollywood 0x11. I have a DOP Mii report and a signCheck report if you guys want more info.

Thanks in advance.

Dale.
Re: New to Homebrew and that
September 20, 2010 04:15PM
Virginizing a Wii isn't trivial, and if not done correctly can permanently brick your Wii, but it can be done if you assume the risks.

Are you sure you want to do this? And further, I am curious of why you would want to do this :)
September 21, 2010 09:07AM
Thanks for the reply Axel. Yea Im sure I want to do this, and I just want to able to update my Wii with the official Nintendo updates when they come out, without hassle and be able to play games with a required firmware.
September 21, 2010 03:58PM
Ok, so assuming you don't need it at a 'factory-state', like as if you were going to send it to Nintendo or something, let's go with the simplest method:

1) Format the console - Do this from the Wii Menu Settings. This will delete all your installed channels, legal or not (including HBC), and all your savegames, and files you could have had installed into your Wii internal memory. Don't worry about the VC and WW titles you have downloaded, you will be able to redownload them later without having to pay again for them, as long as you don't delete your Wii Shop account inside the Wii Shop channel.

Your IOS and System Menu won't be affected by the format.

2) Perform a System Update through Nintendo official updater. This will overwrite all your IOS to its latest official version, and will update your Wii Menu to 4.3E. With this you will most likely lose all patched IOSes you have installed, also it will remove BootMii from both Boot2 and IOS if it was installed.

Now you will be able to safely update to the newest System Menu whenever a new version comes out, and you will be able to play all your official stuff just as if you had never homebrewed your Wii.

3) Get into WiiShop channel and redownload any title you had previously purchased.

This method I'm recommending you is the safest one, the probabilities of bricking are practically null. However, keep in mind that this process might leave some traces of your previously installed apps, so it's not like getting your Wii back into a factory state, but the closest to.

There is another much more risky method, which effectively restores your Wii to a factory state, but can be very dangerous if something goes wrong, rendering your Wii fully bricked.

Regards,
September 21, 2010 06:59PM
@Axel: The method you describe only removes what is visible to the average user (patched IOSes may or may not be removed by this, depending on each particular IOS). Depending on what was installed, this may do practically nothing.

@Dale: There is no need to remove all traces of homebrew unless you are sending your wii to Nintendo for a repair. If you just want to update (though there is absolutely no benefit to doing so), just update. The only bad thing that will happen is that you will waste some time (it should be noted that this would happen even if you did not have homebrew), since nothing good will come of the update. However, if you still want to remove all traces of homebrew, you must tell us all the NAND modifying applications you have used and what you have done with them. Otherwise we will not be able to tell you how to undo it.
September 21, 2010 07:54PM
I know IOS which don't get stubbed by the update will still be there.

However, for his purposes it is irrelevant if those are left there. The method I am proposing him is the safest one and will undoubtlessly accomplish his purposes. If HE wants to keep up to date with Nintendo official releases, even if -in your oppinion- they are worthless, you should not restrain him from doing so.

If you read his post, he wants to run only legit games, and wants to be able to access the Wii Shop without the hassle of having to do anything manually, so keeping his Wii updated is the sanest way to do this.

If he really wanted to restore his Wii to a factory new state in order to sell it or to send it to Nintendo, I would have given other instructions which might even not be allowed to be discussed here, but as his intentions are not these, doing what I suggested him should be more than enough.
September 21, 2010 08:17PM
For his purposes, it is irrelevant if any homebrew is left (with a few possible exceptions that I will describe below). No homebrew needs to be removed before updating. However, I don't want to give him the false impression that formatting is actually beneficial, especially since it would delete data that he likely wants to keep. From the stand point of removing homebrew, formatting is only useful to delete message board data, which is unnecessary in his case. For this reason, the "safest" method to accomplish his purpose is simply to update. Nothing else is necessary.

However, some modified IOSes are not removed by the update (darkcrap in particular). These can cause problems and should be removed. I doubt that he has such a fail pack, but if he does, it must be removed manually.

Deleting all traces of homebrew is always possible, and completely safe provided you have Bootmii/boot2 (this would be removed after everything else is gone). This seems completely unnecessary in his case, but I will explain how to do it if he really wants to. Though it really can be quite a pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 08:22PM by jbc007.
September 22, 2010 09:01AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Axel
run only legit games, and wants to be able to access the Wii Shop without the hassle of having to do anything manually, so keeping his Wii updated is the sanest way to do this.

Thats is pretty much what I want to do.

jbc007

However, some modified IOSes are not removed by the update (darkcrap in particular). These can cause problems and should be removed. I doubt that he has such a fail pack, but if he does, it must be removed manually.

Deleting all traces of homebrew is always possible, and completely safe provided you have Bootmii/boot2 (this would be removed after everything else is gone). This seems completely unnecessary in his case, but I will explain how to do it if he really wants to. Though it really can be quite a pain.

To be honest with you I have no idea what method I used to install Homebrew, it was that long ago. But I have a README-BootMii.txt on my SD card and it says it is Public Beta 5.

On my SD card I have these folders: nus, apps, 00000001 and wiiload.

In the apps folder I have: AnyTitleDeleterDB, cIOS222_v4_Installer, cIOS249_rev17_installer, DOP-Mii, homebrew_browser, SignCheck, usbloader_gx and WADManager.

How would I remove those modified IOS's you mentioned and how would I get Bootmii/boot2?
September 22, 2010 04:12PM
If you follow the steps I provided you, it will be enough to delete any WAD you had installed (unofficial channels, which you surely have because you have WAD Manager), and then with the update it will overwrite all those cIOS you have installed.

You should not need to do anything else from that.
September 22, 2010 04:48PM
Axel
If you follow the steps I provided you, it will be enough to delete any WAD you had installed (unofficial channels, which you surely have because you have WAD Manager), and then with the update it will overwrite all those cIOS you have installed.

You should not need to do anything else from that.

This will likely work for your purposes, but if you want to be a through as possible, uninstall any WADs you have with WAD Manager (do not uninstall a system menu or IOS WAD, though). If you have used AnyTitle Deleter, there is something left from it, which is difficult to remove. I advise you not worry about it, since it will only matter if you send your wii to Nintendo. As for the modified IOSes, the update will stub some or all of them. Assuming you don't have a fail pack (it is not something you mentioned in the contents of your SD card, and you would know if you installed something like that), these will not cause problems unless you send your wii to Nintendo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login