Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temporary Region-Free?

Posted by vitorgatti 
Temporary Region-Free?
November 13, 2010 04:26PM
Hello,

I'm new in homebrew for Wii, but I'm used to DS, PSP and PS3 homebrew.
Checking the wiki I read about the Smash Stack exploit.

My Wii is at 4.3U version and I have a Super Smash Bros. Brawl NTSC-U.

The problem is:
I don't want to fully unlock my Wii. I already have homebrew in my other consoles. But I want to play Japanese games.
If I buy a Japanese game, it will not run on my Wii.

So I'd like to know if using the Smash Stack exploit I can make my Wii region-free just to run the game (running a homebrew that loads games from any region), and when I turn off the console, everything returns to normal (region-locked).

This has nothing to do with piracy. I just want to play genuine Japanese games on my American Wii, but without installing HackMii and HBC.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 04:26PM by vitorgatti.
Re: Temporary Region-Free?
November 13, 2010 04:36PM
OK, it's fairly simple. Here's what you want to do:

Follow these instructions to setup Smash Stack: [www.wiibrew.org]

At step 4 where it tells you to put a .elf file on the root of the SD card, put the .elf from Gecko OS, here: [www.wiibrew.org]

(the .elf is found at Gecko1931\Gecko1931\HBC\Gecko1931\boot.elf within the zip download)

Just stick that boot.elf file on the root of your SD card, and then use the Smash Stack exploit. Gecko OS will load. Switch the disc for the import game and choose "Launch Game".

EDIT: BTW, I am not sure whether this can be detected by Nintendo or not, if that's what you're worried about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 04:42PM by SifJar.
November 13, 2010 05:47PM
Thanks for your fast reply!

I tried here and it worked! Gecko OS was loaded :D
Now I have to buy a Japanese game...

Just one more question:
My Wii is the model with modified DVD driver that won't allow DVD backups in any way.

Do you know if Gecko OS will be able to run a genuine Japanese game even if my Wii has this new DVD driver?

Thanks again :D
November 13, 2010 06:27PM
Yes, genuine discs will always work, regardless of the region and drive model. Only burnt discs and non-Wii game DVDs (e.g. movie DVDs in apps like WiiMC) are affected.
November 13, 2010 06:46PM
Understood! Thanks a lot for all this information :D
November 13, 2010 07:40PM
No problem. Always happy to help. If you have more questions, just ask :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login