Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BlueTooth Question

Posted by Will 
BlueTooth Question
April 01, 2009 03:15PM
My buddy is a NES freak and just got a ROB and Gyromite from eBay. I spent a few hours over at his place playing with it on Monday, and I'm hooked. I have a bunch of ideas spinning around in my head about making a DIY Wii version of ROB. Before I go spending money on a microcontroller and BlueTooth radio to prototype something, I just wanted to see if anyone had any information about this stuff. My basic ideas are below.

* Overall goal: ROB clone with games similar to Gyromite and Stack Up
* Two way communication via BlueTooth, preferably without interfacing with a Wiimote
* Wii to send commands to ROB via BlueTooth
* ROB to send status to Wii via BlueTooth
* Two way communication opens the possibility of having macros and other advanced operational features compared to the stateless original ROB

So, my main questions are:
* Is it possible to interface with a generic BlueTooth radio, or can the Wii only communicate with the Wiimotes?
* Is it possible to send and receive arbitrary data over BlueTooth, or are there restrictions limiting the communication to something resembling the Wiimote?
* Is anyone else working on a similar project?

Thanks,
--Will
Re: BlueTooth Question
April 01, 2009 08:43PM
Will
So, my main questions are:
* Is it possible to interface with a generic BlueTooth radio, or can the Wii only communicate with the Wiimotes?
* Is it possible to send and receive arbitrary data over BlueTooth, or are there restrictions limiting the communication to something resembling the Wiimote?
* Is anyone else working on a similar project?

1) Yes, you can connect a wiimote to most Bluetooth devices (google using wiimote as a mouse)
2)
3) Not that I have heard of.

if ROB is an NES game, you can run a rom of it through our NES emulator: [www.wiibrew.org]
April 01, 2009 11:29PM
DrLucky
if ROB is an NES game, you can run a rom of it through our NES emulator: [www.wiibrew.org]

Haha, ROB is a robot thing that plays the NES
April 02, 2009 02:54PM
DrLucky
1) Yes, you can connect a wiimote to most Bluetooth devices (google using wiimote as a mouse)
2)
3) Not that I have heard of.

@bg4545 - Yup, ROB the robot. Amazing how much fun it is to interact with even a basic video game that is controlled by a physical object sitting next to you. It adds a completely new and unique challenge and an interesting level of complexity.

Thanks for the replies. What I'm interested in is communicating with the Wii via BlueTooth and not connecting a Wiimote to a computer or some other device. I essentially want to create something with capabilities similar to the Wiimote or Balance Board to communicate with the Wii. I'd like to avoid using the Wiimote at all for this application, but I would consider constructing my ROB clone with a nunchuck plug and connecting him to the Wiimote as a last resort.

While I enjoy playing NES ROMs, what I really want to do is create my own homebrew hardware (ROB clone) and software.
April 03, 2009 05:37AM
wow, I have never heard of the R.O.B.

you can still use an NES emu and an adapter that will allow you to plug a NES constoller into a GC port:
[www.raphnetshop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 05:38AM by DrLucky.
April 03, 2009 07:31AM
DrLucky
wow, I have never heard of the R.O.B.

Did You miss his dramatic comeback in SSBBRawl?
April 03, 2009 07:35AM
I guess so!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login