Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are "backups" classed as?

Posted by levii 
What are "backups" classed as?
February 04, 2011 01:32AM
I've got the homebrew channel on, I'd just like to say thanks to anyone that has contributed and reads this. I'm very impressed and pleased at how easy it was.

I registered to ask a question but lots of red text above leads me to think the answer isn't going to be found here...

As soon as I got homebrew running I thought it would be great to put all my wii disks onto a usb hard drive to protect them from my kids.
I was sure there'd be a homebrew app just for that, but now I've registered it seems this must be considered bad practice.

I guess the implication is that I could backup my disk then sell it?
Re: What are "backups" classed as?
February 04, 2011 01:37AM
The implication is that even if you are using it legitimately, others can use "backup" loaders for games that they download for free off the internet. That is illegal so we don't offer information regarding "backup"/USB loaders.
February 04, 2011 01:44AM
Thanks for the feedback, i'm understanding my problem.

Curious now though, doesn't supporting SNES9xGX contradict the anti-piracy stance?
February 04, 2011 01:54AM
Nope. For one the SNES is not a Wii. So you're emulating the SNES hardware whereas a backup loader doesn't emulate anything it just runs the Wii software. Secondly many people, like myself, have a SNES and games but feel that it is more convenient to play then on just one system so I don't need to unplug the Wii and plug in the SNES.
Sure there are people who pirate SNES games but it is different from people who pirate brand new Wii games.
Lastly, the rules of this forum may not be perfect but they are rules and you must abide by them.
February 04, 2011 02:00AM
Yes I appreciate the rules and will not be at all offended if this thread was deleted.

I did try to search for a similar discussion on here but was unsuccessful. Just wanted to be sure backup and backup meant the same thing, if you know what I mean..
February 04, 2011 02:10AM
The emulator question has been asked before, I'm surprised you didn't find it.
[forum.wiibrew.org]
February 05, 2011 11:52PM
My search was for "backup" and I did only scan the titles, I wasn't searching for emulator.

Yeah, following your link this "emulator v piracy" comes up time and again, apologies for this.
Maybe one as an example a sticky would prevent others stumbling down my path so to speak.

My own take on the debate is as two-sided as most others seem to be: its a fine line in a grey area.

I was excited about snes9xGX as it lets me play Starfox again, (which I still have plus others with my old snes) and it has also generated hardware sales as i've gone and bought an official classic controller now.

I just imagine if the thought police busted down my door they'd point at my snes starfox on my wii with just as much venom as the usb drive hanging out the back of it.
February 06, 2011 08:16PM
I doubt the police are gonna bust anyone's door down for playing pirated video games, they have bigger things to worry about. Y'know, like thefts, homicides etc. People selling or even distributing pirated games are perhaps a target for cops, but not a random person playing a game they torrented or whatever. To me, it's more of an ethical issue than a legal one, but of course the law plays a part in my opposition to piracy as well.
February 06, 2011 08:58PM
Perhaps I should have written Thought Police with capitals, as I was referring hypothetically to the fictional police from Orwell's novel. Just pointing out that they would probably consider both wrong (if they weren't too busy tracking down thought criminals).
February 06, 2011 11:24PM
sorry didn't notice the word "thought". Apologies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login