Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii programming for my son

Posted by BirdieNamNam 
Wii programming for my son
April 14, 2011 04:33PM
Hi!

My 9-years-old son want to try a little programming for the Wii. He has already written a long manuscript for the game ha want to make... In the beginning it is a lot about the user menus and these thing.

Anyway, is there, to your knowlegde, an somewhat "easy" programming environment for this, that he can "play around" a little in. Of course, I will have to assist him for "the real" programming code, but for building menu structures and screen swithes, is there something to start with?

Very thankful for all suggestions, it would be fun if he could try a little...

Best regards, Sebastian.
Re: Wii programming for my son
April 14, 2011 06:34PM
I think it would be easier to start out on a computer running QBASIC or something like that. Getting code to run on the wii hardware itself may take too much for the little guy to set up.
April 14, 2011 07:17PM
There isn't a real easy environment to program for the Wii. If you really want this then your best option would be to work with someone who has experience in programming for the Wii. He could setup an easier environment for you, tailored for your needs.

Depending on what he want's to create it could be pretty easy to set something up.
April 14, 2011 08:36PM
Okay, thanks a lot for your answers!

I'll work something out.

Best regards, Sebastian.
April 15, 2011 02:54AM
if you have the homebrew channel installed try teaching him to use this music application; [wiibrew.org]
May 17, 2011 03:39AM
There is a program for the Wii which allows you to use some GUI interaction with some simple programming commands to make Wii homebrew. It has gotten some bad reviews in the past because the free version is limited and unlimited version costs money. However, you can do a lot with the limited version. Try searching for [[b]REMOVED[/b]]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 04:32AM by bg4545.
May 17, 2011 04:33AM
LordAshes
There is a program for the Wii which allows you to use some GUI interaction with some simple programming commands to make Wii homebrew. It has gotten some bad reviews in the past because the free version is limited and unlimited version costs money. However, you can do a lot with the limited version. Try searching for [[b]REMOVED[/b]]
It's gotten bad reviews because it is illegal.
May 17, 2011 01:32PM
This is the problem...people don't read the licenses properly and then they ban software that is actually legit.

The software mentioned above is actually totally legal. The two attacks against it are for using GRRLIB without including the proper license and for using 7z without including the proper license.

Actually the version of GRRLIB that the software uses (which is on purpose a old version) did not require the license to be included. The newest version does. However the version used, only suggests it but does not require it.

The 7z compression/decompression is also legit. The programmer is not using it in his software, he is using it like an external tool. Much like you may make an API call on a windows PC. Yes, it would have been better for him to package the software without 7z and ask others to download it but all he is doing is providing a package that includes two free downloads. He is NOT attempting to take credit for either DevKitPro or 7z. Unless someone it completely clueless it is fairly obvious that DevKitPro and 7z are not the programmer's development and that the cost for the software do not include these tools. The cost for the tools is for the GUI component only.

Lastly, you should allow users to make up their own minds about software - especially when the software is in such contraversy. Censoring the name of a software just because you believe it is illegal is just poor censorship. I though that we were living in a relativly free world. No one, as far as I know, has used real legal advice to check that the software is illegal and neither DevKitPro developers nor 7z developers (as far as I know) have launched any law suits (or even complaints).

Let the man download and try the software. If you want, download the software remove DevKitPro and 7z from the download and then download these packages yourself. That way YOU know that the cost for the software is for the GUI only. In addition, it is not that hard to get the necessary licenses to make it legit. I did.

If you guys would take 2 seconds to look past the license issues (which can easily be fixed) then you might see that the tool is actually not a bad one for beginner programmers. If you want to slap a quick small Wii program together it is much faster than coding it in C. I know because I have done both.
May 17, 2011 03:10PM
LordAshes
I though that we were living in a relativly free world.
You think because you live in a "free world" (certain terms and conditions apply) you can say and do what you want? You are wrong. This forum is a dictatorship, ruled by the forum moderators. And that's a good thing. Any other form of ruling won't work on a forum.

It's the whole attitude around the mentioned tool that pisses the moderators off. Whoever made it could have easily solved the license issue. But instead choose not to do so. Instead he is leeching money of other people's work, without giving credit. Which makes him no better then the people who are selling HBC in the eyes of the moderators.
May 17, 2011 04:05PM
The post you made that I deleted is NOT appreciated. Stuff like that will get you banned here. We welcome differing opinions, but when you post something that goes against the rules or policies of the forum, prepare to face the consequences. k?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login