Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dvd confused

Posted by soje 
dvd confused
March 12, 2012 12:01AM
I've installed the Lettermod on my new (black) wii, in an attept to make it play dvd's. Install went without incidents, and I've installed both "homebrew browser" and "wiimc". However, in wiimc I get the message "DVD playback is not supported on this machine".

SO: is DVD playback simply impossible on this wii, or is there a way around the "problem"?

Regards
soje
Re: dvd confused
March 12, 2012 12:34AM
It's impossible because Nintendo changed the DVD drive in the new Wiis. Sorry, there is no way around it.
June 05, 2012 03:46PM
Hello,

sorry for going on with this topic although I'm sure it was probably discussed before in other topics, but I just don't get it... (I'm c programmer so maybe that's the reason ;)).

The way I see it (looking at hardware) - wii has dvd drive (or am I already wrong here and it has some super-custom-made-just-to-screw-users optical drive?). So why wouldn't dvd drive read certain disks? It's optical disk, read with 650 nm laser so looking at the hardware itself - why would there be problems? If it's the dvd drive firmware wouldn't it be possible to flash it so dvd playback would work? And if it's the bios or os problem - isn't the point of homebrew chanel to go around this and communicate directly with dvd drive?

Sorry again for nagging but I would be really happy if someone would share some technical wisdom with me and explain me why dvd playback doesn't work on new wiis.

Best regards,

Bob
June 05, 2012 04:15PM
Wii game discs are slightly different to conventional DVDs. The original drives were capable of reading both, the newer drives can only read the Wii discs. That's about as technical as I have ever seen it explained, perhaps someone else can offer more in depth insight to the matter.
June 05, 2012 10:07PM
You can't just overwrite the drive's firmware, it's not like a PC's bios (which once upon a time were also not rewritable).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login